Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Room letting: monitoring gas and electricity untilization per room-possible?

Hi
I'm looking to rent my house and rent the loft as a sperate studio, is
there a way of determining elec and gas usage between the 2 locations
so the bills can be paid accordingly. I've seen those "plug in socket"
adapters but this doesn't seem like a realistic option. As the
electics is being put in at the moment is there any thing the
electrican can do to facilitate this request (without having to
install a seperate meter)
thanks for your assistance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 11:21*am, Tim S wrote:
coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi
I'm looking to rent my house and rent the loft as a sperate studio, is
there a way of determining elec and gas usage between the 2 locations
so the bills can be paid accordingly. I've seen those "plug in socket"
adapters but this doesn't seem like a realistic option. As the
electics is being put in at the moment is there any thing the
electrican can do to facilitate this request (without having to
install a seperate meter)
thanks for your assistance.

Yes - if the electrician can take a single power feed to the loft, then a
secondary distribution board (fuseboard) there, you can trivially buy and
install an electricity meter of your own on the supply to this fuseboard.
Reconditioned meters aren't very expensive or you could even install a coin
op or card meter to save collecting extra money from the tenant.

eg

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RDCRED60.html

The other option is to meter the socket circuit only - so no special wiring.

Or just include the electricity in the rent at a flat rate.

Cheers

Tim

thats amazing - thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 11:21*am, Tim S wrote:

Yes - if the electrician can take a single power feed to the loft, then a
secondary distribution board (fuseboard) there, you can trivially buy and
install an electricity meter of your own on the supply to this fuseboard.
Reconditioned meters aren't very expensive or you could even install a
coin op or card meter to save collecting extra money from the tenant.

eg

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RDCRED60.html

The other option is to meter the socket circuit only - so no special
wiring.

Or just include the electricity in the rent at a flat rate.

Cheers

Tim

thats amazing - thanks

If you can decide what system you want, talk to your electrician - hopefully
he can sort it all out for you.

If you charge the tenant for electricy used, I would advise on building that
into the tenency agreement in a simple and watertight way. You have to be
clear about the scale of charges you are imposing on the tenant.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 11:21 am, Tim S wrote:

[...]

For the OP to go down the route of reselling electricity is complicated and
he can't make any profit, also the meters have to be 'approved', and finding
an approved one is almost impossible, using sub meters is frowned upon and
he'll be lucky to find an elecrician willing to install one.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L coughed up some electrons that declared:

For the OP to go down the route of reselling electricity is complicated
and he can't make any profit, also the meters have to be 'approved', and
finding an approved one is almost impossible, using sub meters is frowned
upon and he'll be lucky to find an elecrician willing to install one.

I thought coin-op wasn't unusual for rented places? (Although, admittedly,
we weren't initially taking about coin meters). Maybe the rules changed
since I rented digs...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

its quite easy for an electrician to install another meter on a circuit
which just has the numbers,
not one that takes money.

I have one fitted on one plug circuit -
she used it for electric heaters.

But it wasnt measuring her lighting circuit
as that was shared with other rooms.

wrote:
Hi
I'm looking to rent my house and rent the loft as a sperate studio, is
there a way of determining elec and gas usage between the 2 locations
so the bills can be paid accordingly. I've seen those "plug in socket"
adapters but this doesn't seem like a realistic option. As the
electics is being put in at the moment is there any thing the
electrican can do to facilitate this request (without having to
install a seperate meter)
thanks for your assistance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 11:21 am, Tim S wrote:

[...]

Its standard practice to put a margin on metered electricity in let
properties. The margin is controlled by law though - though often
ignored. Reconned elec meters are cheap enough.

NT

heating a room within a room R D S UK diy 3 May 23rd 07 11:56 AM
room ac help gina29_33547 Home Repair 2 November 28th 06 03:02 PM
urethane floor finish room-by-room dan10170 Home Repair 0 January 6th 06 11:28 AM
Monitoring Electricity Useage xena UK diy 10 February 21st 05 07:25 AM
Room to room fans. Joseph Meehan Home Repair 2 September 10th 04 05:09 AM