Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gap opened up in laminate floor

Hi Folks -

Over the last few months there has been a gap opening up in the
laminate floor in my kitchen. 2 pieces of the floor are sliding for
some reason. See these pics which show the floor -

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100395

There's not a good way (that I can think of) to grab the floor and try
to pull it back in place. I suppose I could pull the dishwasher and
using a hammer, tap the end of that strip of flooring to get it back
in place, but I haven't tried that yet (a big hassle to disconnect and
pull dishwasher).

Any ideas what might have caused this? And how to fix it? Of course,
I'd prefer to avoid calling a floor company to fix this.

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Apr 2, 7:17*am, Mike wrote:
Hi Folks -

Over the last few months there has been a gap opening up in the
laminate floor in my kitchen. *2 pieces of the floor are sliding for
some reason. *See these pics which show the floor -

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100395

There's not a good way (that I can think of) to grab the floor and try
to pull it back in place. *I suppose I could pull the dishwasher and
using a hammer, tap the end of that strip of flooring to get it back
in place, but I haven't tried that yet (a big hassle to disconnect and
pull dishwasher).

Any ideas what might have caused this? *And how to fix it? *Of course,
I'd prefer to avoid calling a floor company to fix this.

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike

Mike,
The only thing that I can think of is that one of the dishwasher's leg
was on that board and the vibration over time caused it to move toward
the dishwasher. My solution is to pull the dishwasher and hammer the
board back in place. I would then make sure the dishwasher's leg are
on the sub-floor. You may need to cut a small square out of the floor
board to accomplish this. Pulling the dishwasher shouldn'tbe that big
of a problem. Typically they are screwed into the underside of the
countertop. Then they just pull forward. The water line and drain
should have enough slack to easily move it out.

Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

Hi Folks -

Over the last few months there has been a gap opening up in the
laminate floor in my kitchen. 2 pieces of the floor are sliding for
some reason. See these pics which show the floor -

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100395

There's not a good way (that I can think of) to grab the floor and try
to pull it back in place. I suppose I could pull the dishwasher and
using a hammer, tap the end of that strip of flooring to get it back
in place, but I haven't tried that yet (a big hassle to disconnect and
pull dishwasher).

Any ideas what might have caused this?

Best guess, dishwasher vibration

And how to fix it?

Same as yours...remove dishwasher, tap boards back; also, afix something
against that edge and to floor so they won't move again.

After tapping the laminate back in place, drill a couple of holes in the
end of the laminate under the dishwasher and drive some nails in it to
prevent it traveling again. Never mind that 1/4" gap that is supposed to
be left at the end. The way that piece has easily moved, the 1/4" gap
left under the other end should take care of expansion..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Hi Folks -

Over the last few months there has been a gap opening up in the
laminate floor in my kitchen. 2 pieces of the floor are sliding for
some reason. See these pics which show the floor -

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100395

There's not a good way (that I can think of) to grab the floor and try
to pull it back in place. I suppose I could pull the dishwasher and
using a hammer, tap the end of that strip of flooring to get it back
in place, but I haven't tried that yet (a big hassle to disconnect and
pull dishwasher).

Any ideas what might have caused this? And how to fix it? Of course,
I'd prefer to avoid calling a floor company to fix this.

Thanks for any ideas!

You've got to remove the dishwasher. Or you could place a garbage can on the
blank space and ignore the problem.

Don't hammer directly on the laminate, you'll booger the edge. Use a block
of some kind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2010 9:17 AM, Mike wrote:
Hi Folks -

Over the last few months there has been a gap opening up in the
laminate floor in my kitchen. 2 pieces of the floor are sliding for
some reason. See these pics which show the floor -

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100395

There's not a good way (that I can think of) to grab the floor and try
to pull it back in place. I suppose I could pull the dishwasher and
using a hammer, tap the end of that strip of flooring to get it back
in place, but I haven't tried that yet (a big hassle to disconnect and
pull dishwasher).

Any ideas what might have caused this? And how to fix it? Of course,
I'd prefer to avoid calling a floor company to fix this.

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike

You mentioned on the pictures that the laminate ends only a couple of
inches under the dishwasher so think would try a laminate floor pull bar
(Lowe's Item 196458) and gently tap it back in place. You would need to
remove the access cover at the bottom of the dishwasher but there should
be room to slide and hook the pull bar. As the piece of laminate is
driven back into position would place a glob of silicon underneath the
1/4 round trim and slide the laminate into it. Once hardened, should
hold the laminate but still give room for expansion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 9:17*am, Mike wrote:
Hi Folks -

Over the last few months there has been a gap opening up in the
laminate floor in my kitchen. *2 pieces of the floor are sliding for
some reason. *See these pics which show the floor -

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100395

There's not a good way (that I can think of) to grab the floor and try
to pull it back in place. *I suppose I could pull the dishwasher and
using a hammer, tap the end of that strip of flooring to get it back
in place, but I haven't tried that yet (a big hassle to disconnect and
pull dishwasher).

Any ideas what might have caused this? *And how to fix it? *Of course,
I'd prefer to avoid calling a floor company to fix this.

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike

When I did my hallway I had to mill a custom transition piece to go
from one room to the hallway. I had to order the wood and it took
about two weeks to get it. In that time I had a piece "walk" like
that. I tapped it back in place applying a couple of drops of glue. It
didnt come out again although it was at least another two weeks before
I could get the piece milled and installed.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 1:20*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 2, 9:17*am, Mike wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies. It seems like pulling the dishwasher is
unavoidable, so that's what I'll do.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would try the Floor Gap Fixer. I know this post was from years back. This tool allows you to close gaps in laminate floors quick and easy. Check it out at www.floorgapfixer.com

Laminate floor moisture barrier on 11th floor condo necessary? brendwal Home Repair 9 September 19th 06 07:51 PM
laminate floor andy Woodworking 1 January 14th 06 11:50 PM
What Sub-Floor material to use for Laminate floor ? gubawatts Home Repair 3 April 4th 05 02:17 AM
laminate floor Jones Home Repair 7 October 11th 04 10:28 PM
laminate floor Jones Woodworking 3 October 11th 04 05:55 PM