Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Default Central Vac overload

I always figured it has something to do with ionic chrage passing air over
an aluminum exchanger.

It may be just drying the air too much or some kind of ion charge or both.

"Robert Green" wrote in message

One reason we got the central vac is that we like to air cool in the summer
with a big attic fan and that brings in an awful lot of dust and pollen.
Switching from A/C to "free air" cooling cured my wife's allergy. Turns out
that being cloistered inside superclean, highly filtered office and A/C
house hyper-sensitized her to pollen. She used to sneeze up to nine times
when she left an A/C'ed building and stepped out into the late spring air,
which *is* mostly pollen. Our standing joke is "we don't go around trying
to mate with trees, so why are they trying to have sex with our noses?"

--
Bobby G.

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

I've burned up enough gear accidentally (a few AMD CPUs, a few Fujitsu
tablet PCs, a Sony receiver and many, many many more) that I am now
hard over in the other direction, adding cooling fans to stereos and
equipment racks to make sure everything gets good airflow. I believe
heat really hastens the aging process and fans help reverse it.

Just make sure you clean the heat sinks and fans occasionally, or

eventually, dust will plug them and they will overheat. I just had a video
board start to
create visual artifacts, and then crash my computer. I blew out the board

fan with compressed air, and all the problems went away.

You're lucky you caught it before it fried. A full "dust cap" is a fine
heat retainer and could have easily cooked your VPU. Smart PC'ers use
programs like Motherboard Monitor that will tell them when their fan speeds
have dropped enough to indicate that they are getting clogged.

I do a lot of PC repair. I have a rough rule of thumb. In a normal
environment, it's probably OK to let fans go unchecked for 24 months.
Subtract 1 year if the equipment's on the floor. Subtract 2 months for each
shorthair dog or car in the house, 4 months for every longhair. Subtract 1
month for fans under 80 centimeters and another month for those under 40.

One neighbor with 5 longhairs and a floor tower with a teeny video card fan
needed monthly cleaning so we added some more fans and covered the front
intake with air conditioner filter material held in place by a little
magnetic frame. Now she just vacuums the front and the machine can go
almost a year without a blow-out. (For anyone considering this, the clips
on the cheap case face were so weak they broke during the procedure but we
replaced them with some neo mags and hot melt glue so snapping the face off
to vacuum the filter was even easier. Most case faces can't withstand
frequent removal without those damn little tab clips breaking.)

I *would* post a picture of a super small video card sleeve bearing cooling
fan and finned heat sink mount I removed from the 5 cat machine because I
had never seen anything so completely caked in dust. The fan spun, but
moved no air. I replaced it with a much larger ball bearing fan simply
because it was less prone to clogging and the space permitted it. However,
I see the picture police are on patrol, enforcing "laws" created when bits
were moved around via acoustic modem. Like so many rules of that era it has
been completely outmoded by technical advances. Anyone who says that
posting a link is as easy as posting a picture with a message isn't being
honest. Personally I'd rather see a relevant picture *with* the message
rather than clicking on a link to who knows where.

One reason we got the central vac is that we like to air cool in the summer
with a big attic fan and that brings in an awful lot of dust and pollen.
Switching from A/C to "free air" cooling cured my wife's allergy. Turns out
that being cloistered inside superclean, highly filtered office and A/C
house hyper-sensitized her to pollen. She used to sneeze up to nine times
when she left an A/C'ed building and stepped out into the late spring air,
which *is* mostly pollen. Our standing joke is "we don't go around trying
to mate with trees, so why are they trying to have sex with our noses?"

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Robert Green wrote:
"B Fuhrmann" wrote in
message ...
the "smart outlets." My original concern was based on what I
thought was a
thermal overload kickout, but when I sealed up the unit I left
plenty of room for airflow and even put in a small fan to make sure
nothing overheated. I realize now I ran those tests during an
average vacuuming session that didn't include the occasional
serious clog, so I will have to see what happens when I
deliberately block the hose and monitoring the motor
temperature.

It is very possible that the power unit uses the filtered air from
the vacuum as cooling.

Yep, when I tested the output flow with my hand, a clog caused the
airflow to drop steeply and heat up quickly. Very likely hose air
used for cooling.

Is that the output from the vacuum or the motor cooling?

With no air flow, the air in the blower will warm up as it sucks up the motors
power, even without a motor being inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

I would be sure there would be a really high current even without any
current flowing.

Huh?

"Bob F" wrote in message

With no air flow, the air in the blower will warm up as it sucks up the
motors
power, even without a motor being inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Robert Green wrote:

Unfortunately my server delivers posts in frighteningly non-chrono
order and I reply the same way.

Do you have Outlook express set to "group messages by conversation" under
"view", "current view"?

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Do you have Outlook express set to "group messages by conversation"
under "view", "current view"?

Yes. This isn't about that.

Each message to usenet moves along a different path from the originator to
the server that "feeds" me. Some messages take longer to arrive depending
on where they originate. This has nothing to do with my browser settings
and everything to do with the delays a post might encounter in finally
getting forwarded to my NNTP server. News posts aren't instantaneous.

For example, it's entirely likely that a message posted from very far away
will arrive well after a post from a nearby server, even though it has an
earlier send date and did, indeed, start its journey earlier than the closer
post did.

--
Bobby G.

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

Unfortunately my server delivers posts in frighteningly non-chrono
order and I reply the same way.

Do you have Outlook express set to "group messages by conversation" under
"view", "current view"?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.I.am.an.idiot,comp.home.automation

Same old moronic ideas.

Your news browser software doesn't make any difference to your NNTP
presentation order. It gets what your NNTP server presents it, headers first
and then as requested.

--

Stop spamming the group with your signature lines.

Common nettiquete demands no more than four (4) line of personal
advertising.
Yours is not personal, either, spammer.
Geesh... 11 lines of spam for 2 lines of post.

"Robert L Bass" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:
Hmm. I use MSOE and that never happens to me. FWIW,
I have FIOS (fiber to the house).

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=====================
******* Home Electronics
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota, Florida 34233
941-870-2310
www.*******home.con
=====================

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

On Mar 30, 12:23�pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
Some of you might remember my question about building a silencing cabinet
for a central vac. �Well, it worked, but too well. �The problem is now that
if something gets stuck in the hose, we can no longer hear the immediate
increase in the motor load the way we used to. �On occasion, the unit's
motor even shuts down from the overload.

Does anyone have any ideas how to detect the "laboring" of the motor so I
can sound a chime or some other alarm when something clogs the pope - I mean
pipe - the Pope has enough problems of his own. �(-:

I am going to try a test today with my Kill-0-Watt meter to see if there's a
substantial increase in current draw. �I might be able to use a current
sensor to detect the upswing and sound a chime or some other kind of
warning. �I don't want to shorten the life of the motor by letting the
thermal overload shut it down after it has overheated.

Thanks in advance

--
Bobby G.

Crossposted to alt.home.repair;comp.home.automation, follow up in AHR,
please!

If your sytem is blocked, the motor will in fact draw less current.
The more outlets open/in use, the more current is drawn and the motor
slows down.
Being blocked is just the same as the outlet being closed/ not in use.
Hence a blockage is not detectable except that there is no "suck".
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

On Apr 4, 4:11�pm, "Josepi" wrote:
You may find the current doesn't drop significantly as the power consumprion
does.

When load is removed from sysncronous motors the power factor decreses to
the bottom, the current stays relatively in the same ball park, depending on
motor design.

If you put a Kill-a-Watt monitor on it you may a huge difference in
consumption.

..."Existential Angst" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I think what you'll find is that your killawatt will show a substantial
DECREASE in current. �The motor is not laboring, but actually speeding up,
as there is no air to load it. �Almost counter-intuitive, that as a vacuum
clogs, it works less!

Exactly correct. �Very odd to see, but about 4A less when screaming like a
rocket.

--
Bobby G.

Not in the slightest odd. It is a centrifugal pump, accelarating air
from nil speed to several hundred miles an hour. If the air flow is
cut off, there is no air getting in to accelarate. So it's not doing
any work except friction losses. So the motor speeds up. Electric
current reduces. Simple. This applies to all centrifugal pumps BTW.
There is no way of determining the difference between motor running/no
hoses connected and blocked.
If the thing is cutting out, it's probably the thermal overload
because of over heating due to the cabinet.
Portable vacuum cleaners rely on the cleaning air sucked through the
hose for cooling but central plant cannot as all the hoses may be shut
off.
Large central vacuum plants may have an induction motor (quiet
running) but the same applies, except that the motor speed varies very
little.