Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas oven problem

Hi, figured I'd ask. This is one of the 'out of my experience set'. The
oven portion of my 4 burner gas stove stopped working. It no longer lights
and there is no smell of gas. The heating element in this model is under a
plate (not an easily removed one either, complete dismantle required from
the looks of it to get to the element).

I already called our appliance folks some time back on another issue with it
and the main problem they say is parts no longer exist for this model. It
was part of the original equipment when the house was made in 1963
apparently. Kenmore.

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but just not
right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
Hi, figured I'd ask. This is one of the 'out of my experience set'. The
oven portion of my 4 burner gas stove stopped working. It no longer
lights and there is no smell of gas. The heating element in this model is
under a plate (not an easily removed one either, complete dismantle
required from the looks of it to get to the element).

I already called our appliance folks some time back on another issue with
it and the main problem they say is parts no longer exist for this model.
It was part of the original equipment when the house was made in 1963
apparently. Kenmore.

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but just
not right now.

Most likely the oven igniter. If that does not heat, the gas valve will not
open. If it is a pilot light model, the pilot is out or the thermocouple
is bad. Either can be DIY if you are so inclined. Thermocouple can be had
from most hardware stores. Service call is about 30% of the cost of a new
cheap stove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
Hi, figured I'd ask. This is one of the 'out of my experience set'.
The oven portion of my 4 burner gas stove stopped working. It no longer
lights and there is no smell of gas. The heating element in this model
is under a plate (not an easily removed one either, complete dismantle
required from the looks of it to get to the element).

I already called our appliance folks some time back on another issue
with it and the main problem they say is parts no longer exist for this
model. It was part of the original equipment when the house was made in
1963 apparently. Kenmore.

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but just
not right now.

A toaster oven will cook most small stuff you might make in the oven so
maybe use the oven for its normal use - storing pots and pans?
Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple things. Please open the oven, and look for the
model number.

Second. When you lit the oven in the past, did an orange
glow happen, and later the oven goes whoof and lights?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cshenk" wrote in message
Hi, figured I'd ask. This is one of the 'out of my
experience set'. The
oven portion of my 4 burner gas stove stopped working. It
no longer lights
and there is no smell of gas. The heating element in this
model is under a
plate (not an easily removed one either, complete dismantle
required from
the looks of it to get to the element).

I already called our appliance folks some time back on
another issue with it
and the main problem they say is parts no longer exist for
this model. It
was part of the original equipment when the house was made
in 1963
apparently. Kenmore.

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace
anyways, but just not
right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

A couple things. Please open the oven, and look for the
model number.

Old metal plate, can not read anything on it. Manual is gone but there's a
page or so in the book with the house listing it as original and just says
'Kemmore Gas Oven'. It actually looks a little newer than 1963 era but
beyond any doubt it was an older model when we bought the house by 1995.

Second. When you lit the oven in the past, did an orange
glow happen, and later the oven goes whoof and lights?

I think so. Not sure there was much time between it all. We don't use the
oven often. Maybe every other month? Got out of the habit when we lived in
Japan and the cost of electrical was very high. Grin, I've been known to
need to dust them out before use.

Either way, Hubby wants one of the newer ones with a griddle in the center
so this is probably moot. (Is there a term HWMBO?)

Saw some decent models at Lowes (10% military discount). Slowly we are
getting ready for a kitchen re-do and doing the appliances first works well
enough for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but just
not right now.

A toaster oven will cook most small stuff you might make in the oven so
maybe use the oven for its normal use - storing pots and pans?

LOL! Well we've decided to replace it. Hubby really wants one of the newer
models with the center grill which sounds good to me as well. Decision made
after posting. It's more a 'curiosity' point now on what may have happened.
Besides, no WAY would all our pots fit in there! ;-)

Although we are low oven users, we scratch cook mostly so not having an oven
on tap doesn't work for us. Don't have a toaster oven but I have 2
crockpots going right now (Pork shoulder to be pulled BBQ pork and the other
has a lentil stew redolent with onions and spices).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:12:38 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Hi, figured I'd ask. This is one of the 'out of my experience set'. The
oven portion of my 4 burner gas stove stopped working. It no longer lights
and there is no smell of gas. The heating element in this model is under a
plate (not an easily removed one either, complete dismantle required from
the looks of it to get to the element).

I already called our appliance folks some time back on another issue with it
and the main problem they say is parts no longer exist for this model. It

LIke they don't have "body parts" for old cars, but they usually have
engine parts, I would bet someone has this part.

was part of the original equipment when the house was made in 1963
apparently. Kenmore.

They didn't use igniters in 1963. I don't think all ovens even had
pilot lights then.

If no smell of glass it sounds like the main oven valve, behind the
knob that turns on the oven, that is, if your top burners work. I
would think that part especially can be found, that it might have been
used for 20 years or more. Find old appliance stores, hopefully with
an old owner, and see if he knows where it is. Maybe take off the
knob and photograph the valve and take it with you. Front and back if
possible.

When last it worked did it work well?

A common problem, you must know by now, is grease or food getting in
the holes. I'm not sure if you could have enough clogged holes that
you smelled no gas, but maybe.

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but just not
right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The more I think about it. I don't think they had hot
surface ignitors back in the sixties. More likely, the pilot
light has gone out, or the thermocouple has gone bad.

The advantage to fixing your stove, is that it's probably
non-electric. So, when the power goes out you can still
cook. Of course, most electric stoves, you can light the top
burners with a match.

Sounds like you've chosen to go with a new stove. Hope that
works well, for you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"LouB" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but
just not right now.

A toaster oven will cook most small stuff you might make in the oven
so maybe use the oven for its normal use - storing pots and pans?

LOL! Well we've decided to replace it. Hubby really wants one of the
newer models with the center grill which sounds good to me as well.
Decision made after posting. It's more a 'curiosity' point now on what
may have happened. Besides, no WAY would all our pots fit in there! ;-)

Although we are low oven users, we scratch cook mostly so not having an
oven on tap doesn't work for us. Don't have a toaster oven but I have 2
crockpots going right now (Pork shoulder to be pulled BBQ pork and the
other has a lentil stew redolent with onions and spices).

Toaster oven may be available at a garage sale.
I too have too many pots but the big frypans fit there nicely:-))