Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New EPA demands for homes built before 1978!

On Mar 26, 8:08*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Vinny From NYC wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:52:01 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote Re New EPA demands for homes built before 1978!:

We need a war every ten-fifteen years to keep the tip of the spear
sharp.

Very true. *The only problem is that since WWII, we've lost them all.
Well, except for the invasions of Panama to arrest Noriaga and the
invasion of Granada for a reason I don't recall. *Generally, we no
longer do well if the foe is bigger than 2% our size or if he is
determined.

Uh, what war(s) have we lost? We signed a peace treaty with North Vietnam
and left the country. A year later, the North overran the South because the
perfidious Democrats in our Congress refused to send any more money to fund
the South's military.

We won in Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, and Kent State. We got a draw in six of
the nine countries on which Clinton waged war (Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia,
Serbia, Albania, Sudan, Haiti, Somolia, and Sudan).

We won in Korea too, or is it just my imagination that South Korea is
free? And we won in both Gulf Wars, or is it my imagination that
Saddam is still raping and pillaging in Kuwait? Some people must be
limited to counting on their fingers.

The problem is not our fighting men, but our political leadership and
wimpy civilian culture. *They betray the military every time.

That's why the rag-heads are kicking our ass.

I don't think they are "kicking our ass". We kill far more of them than they
do of us. The problem is, however, they can breed faster than we can kill
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Uh, what war(s) have we lost? We signed a peace treaty with North Vietnam
and left the country. A year later, the North overran the South because the
perfidious Democrats in our Congress refused to send any more money to fund
the South's military.

That's pretty funny.

The French lost a colonial war against Vietnam at the battle of Dien
Bien Phu. There was a peace treaty than set elections and *temporarily*
divided the country into North and South. The US was to *temporarily*
administer the South until elections, but got the Asian flu and
restarted the colonial war. Elections were not held because Ho Chi Minh
would win - what a surprise. He was the Vietnamese equivalent of George
Washington.

Robert MacNamara, who was secretary of defense for a good piece of the
war, figured out the war was not winnable. Long after the war, he
finally figured out the Vietnamese were fighting to get the outsiders
out so they had their own country - kinda like the US revolutionary war.
They fought China, Japan, France, and in turn, the US.

The other side was coming into Saigon as we were leaving. We lost
because we were on the wrong side.

We won in Korea too, or is it just my imagination that South Korea is
free?

There never was, and still isn't, a peace treaty in Korea. The war was
fought to a stalemate.

Has Sarah Palin figured out why there is a North and South Korea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Vinny From NYC wrote:
[...]

Right. Had a brain lapse. As penance, you might enjoy:

From the recent book: "Crusade, The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War" by
John Atkinson

"No American commander then in uniform had ever marched an entire division,
much less a corps. For nearly half a century, VII Corps had sat in West
Germany waiting for the Warsaw Pact attack that never came."

"At dawn on February 16, with clear skys overhead and a stiff breeze blowing
from the west, the corps surged forward, 150,000 soldiers and 40,000
vehicles - a force larger than the Third Army commanded by George Patton in
World War II.

Not since El Alamein had such a desert spectacle unfolded. On the left, the
2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment led two armored divisions abreast. On the
right, the Big Red One - the 1st Infantry Division led Britian's 1st
Armoured.

"From horizon to horizon the immense host pressed across the pan on a
fifty-mile front: tankers and infantrymen, gunners and loaders, engineers
and missile crews, military policemen, radio technicians, cooks,
accountants, mechanics, electricians, chaplains, doctors, dentists,
gravediggers.

"Brown streams of dust boiled from beneath each tank and truck - hundreds of
tanks and trucks, then thousands, then tens of thousands. Wave followed wave
in an inexorable flood of steel, roiling the desert calm with the creak of
armored tracks and the whirr of turrets. The air reeked of diesel fumes as
the behemoth begain to burn the three million gallons of fuel it
would use each day.

"Northwest toward Mesopotamia the Army pressed, both terrible and
magnificent, secure in the knowledge that nothing could stand against this
irresistable force. It would soon reduce the fourth largest army in the
world to the second largest in Iraq."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:52:01 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

wrote:
What is the statute of limitations for blaming a previous President,
? i.e. Bush?

--

Bill

Bush will get LOTS of attention when WW3 starts in the mid east
compliments to bushes removing saddam h...........

after this we will all be too busy just trying to survive to care any
more about bush, who as a secret service protected X president will be
safe and sound in cheyene mountain........

I.
Sadaam didn't do what we wanted, so:
* We invaded his country,
* Evicted him from his homes,
* Confiscated his fortune,
* Exiled his family,
* Killed his children,
* Imprisoned his friends,
* And eventually had his skanky ass hanged

Saddam murdered his own countrymen, rewarded families of suicide bombers,
trained terrorists, invaded another country and threated other nations. If
he liked someone he would have them killed head first in meat grinders. If
he didn't like them he killed them by putting them feet first in the meat
grinder. He was murdering thousands a month. What a wonderful guy.

The theory was these actions would have a discouraging effect on others
similarily inclined. So far, only Libya has come to Jesus.

We may have to do it over with Iran - or at least not get in the way.

P.S.
Israel has at least four submarines equipped with cruise missiles.

II.
We need a war every ten-fifteen years to keep the tip of the spear sharp.
It's estimated that today there is no ground force commander, from sergeant
through general, that has not led troops in combat. You can't BUY that kind
of experience!

Also, we need wars to keep recruitment up. Who would become a fire-fighter
if there were no fires? Likewise, if there was never going to be an
opportunity to kill people and blow things up, who would become a soldier?
Heck, 85% of those who've served in Iraq or Afghanistan have re-enlisted at
the first opportunity. The remaining 15% were invalided out, retired, or
married harridans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saddam murdered his own countrymen, rewarded families of suicide bombers,
trained terrorists, invaded another country and threated other nations. If
he liked someone he would have them killed head first in meat grinders. If
he didn't like them he killed them by putting them feet first in the meat
grinder. He was murdering thousands a month. What a wonderful guy.

We as a nation dont have the resources or manpower to be the worlds
cop, too many bad guys not enough of us.

All it takes is the terrorists being right ONCE, to hurt us bad.

Terrorists like bin laden appear to hate us for meddling in their
countries, which was all about OIL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 4:25*pm, " wrote:
Saddam murdered his own countrymen, rewarded families of suicide bombers,
trained terrorists, invaded another country and threated other nations. If
he liked someone he would have them killed head first in meat grinders. If
he didn't like them he killed them by putting them feet first in the meat
grinder. He was murdering thousands a month. What a wonderful guy.

We as a nation dont have the resources or manpower to be the worlds
cop, too many bad guys not enough of us.

All it takes is the terrorists being right ONCE, to hurt us bad.

That's right. Which is why I don't understand your negativity
regarding Bush's taking out Saddam. We know he had WMDs because he
had already used them numerous times. US intelligence believed he
was still working on WMDs. So did British, Israeli and Russian
intelligence. According to Hans Blix's final report, on the eve of
the invasion, with 200,000 international troops on his border, Saddam
was still playing games and refusing full cooperation with the UN
weapons inspectors. Just about all the leading Dems most of whom had
access to intelligence reports, made speeches that they also believe
he was working on WMDs.

Now, what would you be saying about Bush had he done nothing and the
terrorist that got it right turned out to have used materials that
came from Iraq? Then you'd be saying all the evidence was clear, it
was overwhelming, but Bush did nothing.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but presidents don't have the convenience.

Terrorists like bin laden appear to hate us for meddling in their
countries, which was all about OIL.

Wrong. Go listen to the radical clerics spewing hate and encouraging
the terrorists. They aren't talking about meddling in their
countries or oil. They are talking about killing the non-believers.
One prime example is Awlaki who uses Islam to recruit for Al-Qaeda on
the internet. Just recently he told muslims around the world that
they can't just live among the non-believers and not take action
against them.

And if it's about the US meddling in their countries, why is it that
Al-Qaeda has conducted terror strikes in Britain, France, Spain,
Germany, India, Indonesia, Turkey, Yemen, Kenya, Tanzania, and Saudi
Arabia?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:17:21 -0500, Michael Dobony wrote:
The short version is basically that as of Aprill 22, 2010, anyone who
does work for compensation who is working on a residentially property
built before 1978, and who either disturbs (scraps, sands, etc.) more
than 6 square feet of paint on the interior or 20 square feet of paint
on the exterior, or does any demolition, or does any window
replacements, must be a certified lead renovator and must follow
certain procedures etc. This includes landlords who do their own work
on residential properties that they own and rent out.

Nope, also applies to homeowners, per call to EPA and website.

According to EPA website:

"If you are a homeowner performing renovation, repair, or painting work
in your own home, EPA's RRP rule does not cover your project."

(http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm, under "Information for
Homeowners Working at Home")

What bit did you see on the website that states it *does* apply to
homeowners?

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:06:48 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

Also take note the disclaimer that the information may not be up to date.
One of the many conflicting links has information about home owners
applying for certification. The call to the EPA said the ONLY exception to
the certification requirement is if you have a certified inspector verify a
lead-free home. I specifically asked about home owners.