Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do sump pumps need 'exercising'?

Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

Many thanks!

Dean
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

I don't know if they *need* to be cycled occasionally, but I put some water
through ours now and then just for the peace of mind, I like to be
reasonably certain it will work when needed. It can't hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 10:46*am, dean wrote:
Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

Many thanks!

Dean

It can't hurt. That is really what it is for. Ours serves the
furnace - a/c condensation for a similar purpose, which lets it cycle
from time to time. Besides, I kinda like to hear it hum every now and
then.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 08:46:11 -0700 (PDT), dean
wrote:

Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

Is a whole-house water filter the same as a sump pump?

"Backwash" confuses me too.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

Many thanks!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

I don't know if they "need" to be exercised, but in my
stacked-stone-foundation-dirt-floor-basement it gets used every time it
rains. Even in the winter it goes on whenever the temperature hits 33
degrees or the sun melts the frozen crust of ice around the edge of the
house. Maybe it's the use it gets, I don't know, but it's the same cheapo
float sump pump that I bought when I first moved into the house 25 years
ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

Is a whole-house water filter the same as a sump pump?

No
"Backwash" confuses me too.

The whole house filter automatically backwashes itself, like a manual
backwash of a pool filter.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:12:42 -0400, "h"
wrote:

"dean" wrote in message
Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised

Someone said these two aren't the same thing. ??

- otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

I don't know if they "need" to be exercised, but in my
stacked-stone-foundation-dirt-floor-basement it gets used every time it
rains. Even in the winter it goes on whenever the temperature hits 33
degrees or the sun melts the frozen crust of ice around the edge of the
house. Maybe it's the use it gets, I don't know, but it's the same cheapo
float sump pump that I bought when I first moved into the house 25 years
ago.

My sump pump wore out after 15 years, but only because the metal pipe
rusted out at the water line. Everythign else worked. The new one has
a plastic pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"dean" wrote in message

Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised

Someone said these two aren't the same thing. ??

I did. I have a whole house filter but not a sump pump.
A whole house filter filters (strains) the domestic water coming into
the house due to a high ground water table.
In the OPs case the filter cleans it self and has to dump the dirty
water somewhere to be pumped out of the house, i.e. the sump pump.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"dean" wrote in message

Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised

Someone said these two aren't the same thing. ??

Sorry if you got my last message. There was an error because moves
something around but left a part of the sentence.

I did. I have a whole house filter but not a sump pump.
A whole house filter filters (strains) the domestic water coming into
the house. A sump pump is buried in a hole in the basement and removes
water from the house so it doesn't flood due to a high ground water table.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

"dean" wrote in message

Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised

Someone said these two aren't the same thing. ??

I did. I have a whole house filter but not a sump pump.
A whole house filter filters (strains) the domestic water coming into
the house due to a high ground water table.
In the OPs case the filter cleans it self and has to dump the dirty
water somewhere to be pumped out of the house, i.e. the sump pump.

Thanks. That explains it.

I appreciate your second one too. Thanks a lot.

- otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a

year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

I don't know if they "need" to be exercised, but in my
stacked-stone-foundation-dirt-floor-basement it gets used every time it
rains. Even in the winter it goes on whenever the temperature hits 33
degrees or the sun melts the frozen crust of ice around the edge of the
house. Maybe it's the use it gets, I don't know, but it's the same cheapo
float sump pump that I bought when I first moved into the house 25 years
ago.

My sump pump wore out after 15 years, but only because the metal pipe
rusted out at the water line. Everythign else worked. The new one has
a plastic pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
Hello all,

Is it better to set the drain of a whole-house water filter (which
does its backwash every 3 days or so) to empty into a sump, or to
bypass it? What I'm asking is whether its good to keep a sump pump
exercised - otherwise it might not be used more than a few times a
year and could just dry up and stop working when its needed.

The sump pump has a diaphragm pressure switch, rather than a float, if
that makes a difference.

Many thanks!

Dean

Check your codes...Some states like Maine it is illegal to put it in a
cellar drain...Same goes for the washing machine..It must go into the septic
system...The environuts have taken over here...LOL...

Dual sump pumps Smarty Home Repair 26 March 13th 14 07:44 PM
Battery-backed sump pumps Robert Green Home Repair 11 May 20th 08 03:45 PM
Stacked sump pumps Smarty Home Repair 4 November 23rd 07 02:12 PM
Battery Operated Sump Pumps [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 10th 07 05:39 AM
Back up sump pumps ? PV Home Ownership 0 August 3rd 04 07:12 PM