Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stacked sump pumps

I've just had an unexpected failure of my 6 year old sump pump, resulting in
a fair amount of rain water in my basement.

In considering replacements, the thought occurs to me that a 2nd redundant
pump placed above the replacement primary pump would hopefully prevent this
situation from occurring again.

The sump is 18 inches in diameter and 28 inches deep, enough space (I think)
to mount two pumps, one above the other.

I am a bit uncertain as to how, if at all, I should use one-way valves in
the discharge plumbing to prevent backflow.

The discharge line is 1-1/4inch NPT. I am wondering if just using a "tee" to
join the two discharge lines would be sufficient?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated and thank you in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving to a terrific group of very knowledgeable and helpful
people!

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is standard and normal to have 2 pumps. They can be installed
side by side with an alternating A/B switch that fires the
opposite one at each startup or can be designed to give each pump
the same operating hours. The pumps can also be arranged in
series or in parallel . They are rigged to both come on when
necessary. All of the switching and mechanics are readily
available. Each pump has its own check valve. Here is a site
that offers a package system:
http://www.championpump.com/packages.htm

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 5mj1j.18273$701.5782@trndny08, "Smarty" wrote:
I've just had an unexpected failure of my 6 year old sump pump, resulting in
a fair amount of rain water in my basement.

In considering replacements, the thought occurs to me that a 2nd redundant
pump placed above the replacement primary pump would hopefully prevent this
situation from occurring again.

That would protect you from a pump failure, yes -- but what about a power
failure? For your second pump, consider something with a backup battery, such
as Basement Watchdog or Ace in the Hole.

The sump is 18 inches in diameter and 28 inches deep, enough space (I think)
to mount two pumps, one above the other.

Or side by side, which is almost certainly easier.

I am a bit uncertain as to how, if at all, I should use one-way valves in
the discharge plumbing to prevent backflow.

You should always use one-way valves.

The discharge line is 1-1/4inch NPT. I am wondering if just using a "tee" to
join the two discharge lines would be sufficient?

I'd use a wye instead of a tee (less flow resistance for the arm on the side).

Any thoughts would be most appreciated and thank you in advance.

Having two backflow preventers, one per pump, installed on the pump side of
the wye, will make installation (and later service) much easier, as opposed to
a single backflow preventer on the discharge side of the wye -- provided you
use the type with rubber couplings and hose clamps, not the ones with threaded
fittings.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the great advice. I am going out today to see what the local
stores have available. Unfortunately there has been a lot of rain here so I
can't postpone my decision too long.

Smarty

Dual sump pumps Smarty Home Repair 26 March 13th 14 08:44 PM
Battery Operated Sump Pumps [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 10th 07 06:39 AM
Sump pumps and muddy water 46erjoe Home Repair 5 July 20th 06 06:12 PM
Zoeller sump pumps need service every 5-7 years? Ignoramus24108 Home Repair 11 June 29th 06 08:37 AM
Back up sump pumps ? PV Home Ownership 0 August 3rd 04 08:12 PM