Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fertilizer

I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

--
LSMFT

Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
And you too can become a fracking prick..............
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

All fertilizer may be a total waste unless you have a set of soil
samples telling you what the ground lacks (if anything). Lime, unless
your solid is excessively acidic, falls in the same category.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:27:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

All fertilizer may be a total waste unless you have a set of soil
samples telling you what the ground lacks (if anything). Lime, unless
your solid is excessively acidic, falls in the same category.

Obvious bull****. The act of sampling the soil does not make it deficient.

It's easy to tell fertilized grass from unfertilized grass. Try missing a
stripe. You'll see where you missed the next day. Want to **** someone off?
Write in their lawn with fertilizer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:10:10 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?

Phosphorus causes cavities.

What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote

I agree. All soil becomes deficient and acidic after a time. You can tell
weak, slow growing and faded green grass from freshly fertilized.
I was just wondering what the phosphorous does or doesn't. I know too much
can run off into streams and make algae but.....a little must be needed.
Why else was it used in the first place?

--
LSMFT

Phosphorous helps growth and is a needed mineral. The downside is that it
also makes the algae blooms in lakes. It is also found in your body to
help metabolize fats and carbohydrates. Every living thing has some
phosphorous in it. Since I am neither a chemist or biologist, that is the
extent of my knowledge of the material.

The real problems is people that over fertilize thinking that if a little is
good, a lot must be better. All that stuff you d ump on the lawn eventually
works down to the water underground so I use it maybe once a year. A
couple of weeds or a brown patch is not a big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Mar 17, 6:10*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

--
LSMFT

Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
* *And you too can become a fracking prick..............

==
So don't buy that formulation...there are other more balanced ones.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 8:17*pm, LSMFT wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:27:26 -0500, *wrote:

LSMFT wrote:
[...]

As to all laws become acidic after a time, I'm going to call B.S. on
that one. It really depends on where you live. I live on a limestone
bed, and I wish it would get acidic, but no such luck. I have amazing
results for alkaline loving plants, of which there are few, many are
tolerant, and those do ok, acid loving plants, can be grown if you
treat the soil, vinegar works well, in the short term, I've never
found anything that works well, long term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?
All fertilizer may be a total waste unless you have a set of soil
samples telling you what the ground lacks (if anything). Lime, unless
your solid is excessively acidic, falls in the same category.

Obvious bull****. The act of sampling the soil does not make it deficient.

No, what's bull**** is fertilizing w/o knowing what, specifically, the
soil is deficient in and by how much.

Bull****. Grass is going to need fertilizer during its growing season,
period.

W/o knowing, you can put on something that isn't needed, less or more of
what is than optimal...ask local Extension Office their opinion...

It might be better to find out exactly what's needed, however it isn't a
"total waste" to do otherwise. Yes, I'm calling bull**** on your blanket
statement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Obvious bull****. The act of sampling

No, what's bull**** is fertilizing w/o knowing

Bull****. Grass is going to need fertilizer during its growing season,
period.

W/o knowing, you can ...

. Yes, I'm calling bull**** on your blanket
statement.

I'm rural, and we all call Bull****......................fertilizer.

Actually any kind of Cow****, Horse****, or Sheep**** will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2010 8:10 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

Grass needs it:
http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=41
Concern, as others point out, is P getting into places where it disrupts
the ecosystem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/18/10 08:33 am, ransley wrote:

I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?

12-0-12 , probably chinese fertiliser . phosporus was more money than
they wanted to spend, 12-12-12 is cheap, is 12-0-12 1/3rd cheaper? So
dont buy it.

In our county the use of fertilizer containing phosphorous has been
illegal for at least two years. It may even be illegal to sell it here.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 9:22*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 03/18/10 08:33 am, ransley wrote:

I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?

12-0-12 , *probably chinese fertiliser . phosporus was more money than
they wanted to spend, 12-12-12 is cheap, is 12-0-12 1/3rd cheaper? So
dont buy it.

In our county the use of fertilizer containing phosphorous has been
illegal for at least two years. It may even be illegal to sell it here.

Perce

Because the drainage from excessive fertilizing causes plants and
algae to bloom excessively thus being able to choke off waterways etc,
residues also ending up in our oceans distorting the 'natural' amounts
of substances that have been there for millions of years! Possibly
what's wrong, together with over fishing and garbage dumping of
problems with our seas.
Apparently even the biblical river Nile is in trouble!
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

I bought something close to 12-0-12 a few years ago. It was only $1 a
bag on closeout at Lows. I also bought phosphorus and added the amount
my soil needed (had soil tested). It cost me about 1/5 of what the off
the shelf fertilizer would have cost me.

Lime? Sure if your soil tests acidic, lime can help. Have your soil
tested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty wrote:
wrote Obvious bull****. The act of
sampling ..............

No, what's bull**** is fertilizing w/o knowing

Bull****. Grass is going to need fertilizer during its growing
season, period.

W/o knowing, you can ...

. Yes, I'm calling bull**** on your blanket
statement.

I'm rural, and we all call Bull****......................fertilizer.

Actually any kind of Cow****, Horse****, or Sheep**** will do.

That's a chicken**** answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:10:10 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

For the most part the first number is what grass uses to green up and
grow. Best to do a few soil tests, then you can decide which
fertilizer ratio is right for YOUR lawn. All plants need a little
magnesium for optimum growth, but you can use epsom salts for that.

If your pH is below 6.5 add lime (500 pounds per quarter acre) and
test again in 6 months. If you add lime when the pH is above 6.7,
you're really wasting time and money.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Mar 17, 7:10*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

--
LSMFT

Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
* *And you too can become a fracking prick..............

Phosphorus can build up in certain soils, especially those with a lot
of clay. When the buildup reaches critical levels, it will block the
plants ability to absorb & process other nutrients. It does not leach
out of those type soils and the only way to recover from the excess
phosphorus is to remove the soil and have more trucked in to replace
it. When levels get high from years & years of using 8-8-8 or
10-10-10, the extension service will recommend only applying
fertilizer without posphorus. So it's not only environmentally bad,
it can cause a really crappy lawn.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 10:47*am, Tony wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus..
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

I bought something close to 12-0-12 a few years ago. *It was only $1 a
bag on closeout at Lows. *I also bought phosphorus and added the amount
my soil needed (had soil tested). *It cost me about 1/5 of what the off
the shelf fertilizer would have cost me.

Lime? *Sure if your soil tests acidic, lime can help. *Have your soil
tested.

If you can arrange for a lot of lightning strikes, you can reduce the
nitrogen needs somewhatG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 12:10*am, LSMFT wrote:
I see they now have 12-0-12. Evidently the middle number was phosphorus.
This is supposed to be water friendly. All of a sudden our lawns don't
need phosphorus now? Or do they?
What about lime. I don't see anybody lime their lawns any more. Is that
out of fashion?

--
LSMFT

Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
* *And you too can become a fracking prick..............

The reason your lawn needs fertilzer is that when you mow it and take
away the clippings, you are taking away vital minerals. Different
plants need different amounts of the various minerals. Grass needs
lots of nitrogen. Farmers (and terrorists) use "straight nitrogen" in
the form of ammonium nitrate. Tomatoes, for example need lots of
potassium. Everything needs small amounts of phosphorus.
Fertilizers are less effective if the ph of your soil is low (acid).
As someone else has said, you need to get yourself a chemistry set at
your garden centre. And you need to know the fertilzer requirements
of what you intend to grow.
If you soil is naturally alkaline & you want it acid, you are batting
your head against a brick wall trying to change it. Your only chance
if you want to grow acid loving plants is to have containers or
plastic barriers and import some acid soil/peat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually any kind of Cow****, Horse****, or Sheep**** will do.

Chicken **** is the best!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair