Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Lost water pressure? ? ?

We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units stacked on
each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the February snow storms
and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost all
water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that faucet emits
barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that this
was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to do
about it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in
:

We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units
stacked on each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the
February snow storms and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost
all water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that
faucet emits barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that
this was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to
do about it?

You've run it after removing the aerator with the same result?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units
stacked on each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the
February snow storms and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost
all water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that
faucet emits barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that
this was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to
do about it?

You need to clean the aerator on that faucet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 6:02*pm, "Ray" wrote:
We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units stacked on
each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the February snow storms
and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost all
water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that faucet emits
barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that this
was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to do
about it?

Could be a lump of corrosion has been displacd by freezinf and has got
lodged somewhere. Could well be in the faucet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2010 2:02 PM, Ray wrote:
We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units stacked
on each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the February snow
storms and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost
all water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that faucet
emits barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that
this was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to do
about it?

Who ever owns the apartment should look at it. Years ago, I had a pipe
freeze and break. Insurance would not cover the plumbing repair but did
apply to water damage.

As others suggest, your aerator may be plugged. If water is shut off
and pipes drain somewhat, water can be murky from junk in pipes when it
comes back on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 3:51*pm, Frank wrote:
On 3/16/2010 2:02 PM, Ray wrote:

[...]

Does the shower and toilet have good water pressure? If so, you have
something lodged in the aerator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units stacked on
each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the February snow
storms and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost all
water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that faucet emits
barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that this
was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to do
about it?

I have had this situation fifty times. The suggestion I am going to write
may seem obvious, but it was the REAL problems dozens of times.

Clean the sprayer screen if it has one. From there, look at the seats, and
see if they are blocked with scale that gets dislodged during construction
or freeze/thaw cycles. The fastest, easiest, cheapest fix. Once you have
eliminated that, good luck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
We live in a six-unit apartment building, three identical units stacked on
each side. We were among the hardest hit cities by the February snow
storms and got a fair amount of damage.

During the storm, a single bathroom sink faucet seemed to lose almost all
water pressure. Now, more than a month after the storm, that faucet emits
barely a trickle of water, hot or cold.

I pointed this out to the insurance adjuster, and he was adamant that this
was not covered.

Any ideas what's causing this isolated loss of pressure, and what to do
about it?

Let us know what you find.

Steve B, the real one

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Sorry to be late getting back.

The problem was indeed the aerator.

Thanks to all for the answers.

By the way, we are not rental but a coop apartment building, occupied
mostly by middle-age and elderly. And there was no plumbing damage other
than the faucet that went to a trickle during the snowstorm.

-- Ray