Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating behind/around electrical boxes

Almost ready to start the rewiring of my house, just need to finish up
my plans. I am probably going to go with plastic old work boxes that
are 3.5" inches deep in most situations.

This is going to leave me with 3/8" at most between the back of the
box and the sheathing on my outside walls(3/8 drywall).

Any reccomendations on how to insulate behind the boxes and around the
sides of them?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 15, 12:34*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
Almost ready to start the rewiring of my house, just need to finish up
my plans. *I am probably going to go with plastic old work boxes that
are 3.5" inches deep in most situations.

This is going to leave me with 3/8" at most between the back of the
box and the sheathing on my outside walls(3/8 drywall).

Any reccomendations on how to insulate behind the boxes and around the
sides of them?

Use a latex spray foam like that recommended for window installation
at the back of the box. Expansion won't bother the box installation.
Then cover the remainder with fiberglass bats, whatever.
Do you really have 3/8" drywall exterior sheathing?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 1:50*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 15, 12:34*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:

Almost ready to start the rewiring of my house, just need to finish up
my plans. *I am probably going to go with plastic old work boxes that
are 3.5" inches deep in most situations.

This is going to leave me with 3/8" at most between the back of the
box and the sheathing on my outside walls(3/8 drywall).

Any reccomendations on how to insulate behind the boxes and around the
sides of them?

Use a latex spray foam like that recommended for window installation
at the back of the box. Expansion won't bother the box installation.
Then cover the remainder with fiberglass bats, whatever.
Do you really have 3/8" drywall exterior sheathing?

No. I have 3/8" drywall on the interior, guess I should have been a
little clearer.
Although these houses were built so cheaply I wouldn't doubt they used
3/8" plywood for sheathing.

I did some work on a Levittown house years ago and the sheathing was
some type of fiberboard that disentegrated after getting wet. Not
sure what it was but seemed like it was the same stuff that gets layed
under a rubber roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:00:33 -0700, Limp Arbor wrote:
I did some work on a Levittown house years ago and the sheathing was
some type of fiberboard that disentegrated after getting wet. Not sure
what it was but seemed like it was the same stuff that gets layed under
a rubber roof.

We have something very like that in our garage (which, going by the
bakelite electrical fittings I pulled out of it, must have a few years on
the clock). It does actually say 'sheathing' on it in big letters, but
the smaller text beneath is all but unreadable after so many years. I
know exactly what you mean about damp - it's rather horrible stuff if it
ever absorbs moisture.

(I'm aiming to get another 4 or 5 years out of that garage, then I'll
pull it down and build something less crappy :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Almost ready to start the rewiring of my house, just need to finish up
my plans. I am probably going to go with plastic old work boxes that
are 3.5" inches deep in most situations.

This is going to leave me with 3/8" at most between the back of the
box and the sheathing on my outside walls(3/8 drywall).

Any reccomendations on how to insulate behind the boxes and around the
sides of them?

*One way is to use a vapor box around the electrical box:
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...ath/21_1272_62

Another method that I have used with outdoor receptacles that have recessed
boxes is to wrap the electrical box with a putty pad. They can be a little
expensive though.

Others may suggest spray foam. I have never tried that.

You could also use 4"x4"x1.5" square electrical boxes. That will give you
room to put insulation behind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 3:17*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

Why not use spray foam, and shallower boxes on all exterior walls???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/15/2010 08:06 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Mar 15, 3:17 pm, "John wrote:
[...]

see the other thread going boxes, code doesn't let you use shallower
boxes if there's more than one cable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Almost ready to start the rewiring of my house, just need to finish up
my plans. I am probably going to go with plastic old work boxes that
are 3.5" inches deep in most situations.

This is going to leave me with 3/8" at most between the back of the
box and the sheathing on my outside walls(3/8 drywall).

Any reccomendations on how to insulate behind the boxes and around the
sides of them?

I would pack the space with the highest R-rated foam sheet or spray or any
other insulation that will give you the most insulating and vapor barrier,
that you can obtain. If you have to buy a sheet, cut it into squares about 8
to 12 inches and fit behind each box even if the ground and clamp screws
penetrate into the insulation. While 3 1/2 inch deep boxes are great for
wiring, you may be better in locating some 2 1/2" deep boxes for the outside
walls, this will give you much better insulation and prevent condensation
from forming inside the backs of the boxes, which is never good.