Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage floor paint

My garage floor looks so bad, when the dog takes a dump in there, I have to
look for it. I want to take a wire wheel and a chisel and take down some
blobs of paint and concrete spatter that the genius who built the house
left.

I then want to paint it. I know there are epoxies and stuff with sprinkles.
Looks great. I've seen some floors with that. Is there a cheaper
alternative?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 3:18�pm, "Steve B" wrote:
My garage floor looks so bad, when the dog takes a dump in there, I have to
look for it. �I want to take a wire wheel and a chisel and take down some
blobs of paint and concrete spatter that the genius who built the house
left.

I then want to paint it. �I know there are epoxies and stuff with sprinkles.
Looks great. �I've seen some floors with that. �Is there a cheaper
alternative?

Steve

theres a rubber roll out mat. although sorry i dont have a link
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 2:25*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

My garage floor looks so bad, when the dog takes a dump in there, I have to
look for it. I want to take a wire wheel and a chisel and take down some
blobs of paint and concrete spatter that the genius who built the house
left.

I then want to paint it. I know there are epoxies and stuff with sprinkles.
Looks great. I've seen some floors with that. Is there a cheaper
alternative?

Steve

theres a rubber roll out mat. although sorry i dont have a link

The rubber mats are sold in pieces that interlock. You buy as many
as you need. It is supposedly oil/gas resistant. But it is not a
solid surface and if the dog continues to use the garage you will have
a real mess to take it apart and clean up and then put back together.
The spoxy with sprinkles looks like a good solution, I don't know how
it stands up to the salt/snow/ice crap we get here in the Chicago
cuburbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:39:59 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I thought about the garage "tiles", but decided that it would be too hard to
keep clean. I have the epoxy paint with sprinkles (the builder put it down).
I like it. The only drawback I notice with it is that it's a little harder to
sweep clean. Sorry, no salt/snow/ice in Alabama - left that crap in Vermont.
;-)

Are you in the hills or the flatlands? We had a lot of Global Warming
fall on Birmingham this winter.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:46:39 -0600, The Daring Dufas

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

East-central (Auburn/Opelika). They closed the university and my employer
closed down on an inch of speculation. It didn't start until well after noon
but they announced the closings the previous night. Of course I showed up
thinking that they certainly wouldn't close for *nothing*.

I told my wife when we lived in Vermont, I have a 4WD "off-road" truck so I
can go anywhere. I can even go off the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Key words being 'the builder put it down'. Epoxy works best on very
young concrete, like right after the first 30 days of curing with people
and oily grime kept off of it. People I know who put it on old concrete,
even cleaned with acid, found it fragile, and easily damaged by hot
tires, and the squirming action if they turn the wheel while parking or
backing out.
If I was a rich man, and building a new garage, I'd likely use it, but
since that ain't ever gonna happen, push brooms and maybe a pressure
washer if it gets really nasty, are my lot.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

UH OH! Auburn? *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:21:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

It's not much more than a wide spot in the road, but it sure beats the
People's Republic of Burlington.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:20:21 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Well, "hot tires" never see it. The Unisaw got first dibs on the garage and
the car and truck sleep outside. ;-)

If I was a rich man, and building a new garage, I'd likely use it, but
since that ain't ever gonna happen, push brooms and maybe a pressure
washer if it gets really nasty, are my lot.

If I were rich, I'd probably go for the garage tiles and have someone else
clean them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

"Northern by birth, Southern by the grace of God" Old Alabama Hillbilly
saying found written on the wall of a cave by little known ancient
ancestral Cavebillies. Damn Yankees come down here, discover how
beautiful it is and we can't get them to leave. After they're here a
while and learn the language, they go native. It's amusing to explain
to a former Yankee that he should wear a shirt with his overalls and
that shoes are really a good idea.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:31:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

We'll see. It is nice, but Vermont is beautiful. Kentucky is beautiful.
Alabama is nice.

After they're here a while and learn the language, they go native.

I hope not. I didn't learn NE Yankee.

It's amusing to explain
to a former Yankee that he should wear a shirt with his overalls and
that shoes are really a good idea.

No overalls, always a long-sleevee shirt, and socks with my shoes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

My mother is a naturalized Southerner from Brooklyn,NY. She spent
most of her life in The South and says "Yalls Guys". *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Well, you're down there in or close to the flatlands so you may
be OK.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I can be done on old concrete, but its a real expensive time consuming
job few understand. My old greased up floor with oil leaks for 70
years was a greasy mess, it took about 20 hours and 250$ in chemicals
and eqipment in 1985 to prep it, then I stained it with HC concrete
stain, its still on today except under tires and foot areas. I rented
a buffer, bought about 150$ in acid and cleaner-degreasers, and worked
till it was clean, then acid etched it twice - 3 times in some spots
until it tested Pourus. Then used HC oil stain. Few understand what
necessary prep is, or when concrete is actualy ready, and you need the
right temperature of air and concrete to get it to bond and cure fast,
thats in the hot days of summer when the ground is warm. Yes new is
best by far, far less prep, usualy a quick clean and 1 acid wash. Acid
washing is dangerous with Fuming Muriatic, not only is a respirator a
must, big fans are needed to move out the fumes to keep you safe. If I
had to bid my garage in 1985 its was over 1200.00 for a 2 car garage,
and few home owners would pay a bid like that in 85, but its still
holding up. To redo it again today, it would be a big job again.
Everyone complains paint peels, yes it does, and more so when prep
isnt 100% right, I chose stain because it wears away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
My garage floor looks so bad, when the dog takes a dump in there, I have
to look for it. I want to take a wire wheel and a chisel and take down
some blobs of paint and concrete spatter that the genius who built the
house left.

I then want to paint it. I know there are epoxies and stuff with
sprinkles. Looks great. I've seen some floors with that. Is there a
cheaper alternative?

Steve

Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Flooring for garages...Nice
stuff...Indestructable , even oil , salt , ect...Check Home Depot's website
to see what it looks like...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 13, 3:18*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

snip

I then want to paint it. *I know there are epoxies and stuff with sprinkles.
Looks great. *I've seen some floors with that. *Is there a cheaper
alternative?

No. Anything cheaper will not adhere nearly as well nor last as long.
Epoxy floor paint has been around for decades, so obviously it meets
the price/performance standards for most people. Sprinkles are
discarded by many in the final paint. Did so myself. Sand for traction
is another non essential.

Joe