Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile on (prefab) fireplace?

We had gas logs installed in our fireplace last night. The installer said
that we should burn it for a couple of hours to get the logs set. Ok, it was
cool so the fire was nice. When I went to bed I shut the fire off but when
the fireplace cooled the bottom row of tile across the fireplace popped off.
Anyway, looking at the construction, the builder tried to stick the tile to
the metal fireplace with thinset. Obviously the difference in expansion
between metal and tile makes thinset a bad choice. Ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 5:44*pm, "
wrote:
We had gas logs installed in our fireplace last night. *The installer said
that we should burn it for a couple of hours to get the logs set. *Ok, it was
cool so the fire was nice. *When I went to bed I shut the fire off but when
the fireplace cooled the bottom row of tile across the fireplace popped off.
Anyway, looking at the construction, the builder tried to stick the tile to
the metal fireplace with thinset. *Obviously the difference in expansion
between metal and tile makes thinset a bad choice. *Ideas?

A high temperature adhesive

Fireplace and tile paint? Clive UK diy 0 September 9th 08 10:13 AM
Painting a broken tile fireplace hearth - Help please Roy Starrin Home Repair 1 December 3rd 07 09:24 PM
salvaging decorative fireplace tile duggy Home Repair 1 September 5th 06 10:36 PM
Tile on steel fireplace possible? How? thrugoodmarshall Home Repair 3 September 5th 05 10:33 PM
Recommendations on fireplace tile color? Actor123 Home Repair 6 May 31st 05 05:57 PM