Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Protect Trailer Fenders

What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

Nothing, really. If you're throwing rock from the pulling vehicle to
that extent, it needs flaps to stop it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

the roll-on coating that they sell in home depot for the inside of pickup
truck beds

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 6:56*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Make your own indestructable fenders by cutting down a larger old tyre
to a fender shape and fitting them instead of the existing ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

If you find a way, I have some investment capital. As suggested, bigger
mudflaps would help a little. And then, there is a brush looking device
that hangs the total width of the tow vehicle. I think that anything would
reduce the damage by different degrees, but there is no real cure.

Again, if you get an idea, I'd be happy to patent it for you. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look
of black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

the roll-on coating that they sell in home depot for the inside of
pickup truck beds

I was thinking along those lines as well, although I am not familiar with
the particular product you are referring to.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:56:06 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Something like this..

"Underseal is a rapid drying, paintable, rubberized undercoating
material for rust-proofing and sound deadening. Ideal for coating
fenders, quarter panels, door panels, repaired sections, welded
joints, hoods, and decks.

Underseal has excellent one pass coverage and maintains proper spray
pattern. Delivers medium to coarse texture. This product will not plug
the spray nozzle, dries quickly in 20 minutes but is tack free in 15
minutes.

* Sprays easily & dries quickly
* Remains flexible
* Provides a very tough film that is resistant to abrasion

http://www.spaceagepaint.com/product...id_product=286

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Mar 9, 6:56 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Make your own indestructable fenders by cutting down a larger old tyre
to a fender shape and fitting them instead of the existing ones.

No need to go totally hillbilly here. They sell shiny diamond plate trim
plates for this exact purpose. Any trailer shop or large truck stop
should be able to fix you right up. They also sell replacement fenders
of diamond plate or heavy flexible plastic. Or you can take the fenders
off, get them sandblasted, and get them powder-coated at a place that
specializes in marina/boating work. Goes on like paint, but becomes a
rubbery non-chip coating. Very popular for docks and boat trailers and such.

Me, I'd use a wire brush and tractor paint. And I would probably brush
it on, to get a good thick coat, and find some way to bake it on.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 1:56*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Thanks All!

I'll look into the various options offered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the
fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by
stones and road debris?

http://www.showroomshineauto.com/images/cub5.jpg

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been
painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped
them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray
clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of
black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating
them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Rubberized rocker guard or Ford DuraGuard film.