Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Underfloor radiator

Hi,

My contractor mentioned to me (but couldn't remember the brand) that
there exist hot water radiators that go between the joists on the floor
below and release heat through an opening in the floor. Could someone
point to a link to a radiator like that?

Thanks!

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 10:46*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor mentioned to me (but couldn't remember the brand) that
there exist hot water radiators that go between the joists on the floor
below and release heat through an opening in the floor. Could someone
point to a link to a radiator like that?

Thanks!

Sam

I bet it has a blower that consumes alot, it will raise your electric
bill, why not radiant tube and a mixing valve to lower the temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:46 pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor mentioned to me (but couldn't remember the brand) that
there exist hot water radiators that go between the joists on the floor
below and release heat through an opening in the floor. Could someone
point to a link to a radiator like that?

Thanks!

Sam

I bet it has a blower that consumes alot, it will raise your electric
bill, why not radiant tube and a mixing valve to lower the temp.

Because my floor is too thick? (3/4" plywood + wonderboard + thinset +
tile) = 2+". Can the heat get through that?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 00:18:42 -0500, Sam Takoy
wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:46 pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor mentioned to me (but couldn't remember the brand) that
there exist hot water radiators that go between the joists on the floor
below and release heat through an opening in the floor. Could someone
point to a link to a radiator like that?

Thanks!

Sam

I bet it has a blower that consumes alot, it will raise your electric
bill, why not radiant tube and a mixing valve to lower the temp.

Because my floor is too thick? (3/4" plywood + wonderboard + thinset +
tile) = 2+". Can the heat get through that?

Yes, but not until summmertime.

Just kidding. I have no idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 11:18*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:46 pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor mentioned to me (but couldn't remember the brand) that
there exist hot water radiators that go between the joists on the floor
below and release heat through an opening in the floor. Could someone
point to a link to a radiator like that?

Thanks!

Sam

I bet it has a blower that consumes alot, it will raise your electric
bill, why not radiant tube and a mixing valve to lower the temp.

Because my floor is too thick? (3/4" plywood + wonderboard + thinset +
tile) = 2+". Can the heat get through that?

It will be fine, its also comonly embeded in concrete and your floor
isnt anything abnormally thick, it will heat more evenly, under you so
your feet are warm and since its under you heat is distributed more
evenly. If you are considering a new high efficency boiler Ever,
condensing boilers start loosing efficency as they heat water above
140, my radiators need 160-170 and radiant tube around 110f, the new
highest efficency instals are radiant tube, under tile and everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 11:18 pm, Sam wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:46 pm, Sam wrote:
[...]

What happens when you lose power in the winter and all that plumbing
under the floor freezes and breaks? Tear up the floors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
What happens when you lose power in the winter and all that plumbing
under the floor freezes and breaks? Tear up the floors?

Hopefully he has a fairly airtight and crawlspace, or a full basement
and the earth, at 55F keeps the temps above freezing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 2:36*pm, Tony wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
What happens when you lose power in the winter and all that plumbing
under the floor freezes and breaks? *Tear up the floors?

Hopefully he has a fairly airtight and crawlspace, or a full basement
and the earth, at 55F keeps the temps above freezing.

Interesting you should mention that underfloor crawl space
temperature.
Our almost completely in ground, full height, uninsulated concrete and
concrete floored basement rarely goes below an absolute minimum 45
degrees F, in even the coldest weather wth upstairs heating turned
down low. Probably around 58 degrees upstairs at floor level.
When the upstairs is heated to to around 68F considering that some
heat leaks down , the unheated basement area is typically at around 50
- 55 degrees. The wood stove or plug in electric heater quickly brings
the temperature to a suitable point for normal physical activity in
less than an hour. The internal dimension of the basement are approx,
Height 8 feet, Length 46 feet, Width 32 feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
On Mar 8, 2:36 pm, Tony wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
[...]

Also, pex will freeze but won't break. (?)

Best underfloor heating [email protected] UK diy 14 November 13th 08 12:06 AM
Snapped the radiator tap off the radiator (Now it's boiling & can't swtich it off) [email protected] UK diy 20 April 18th 06 09:37 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Underfloor Heating KJR UK diy 0 July 6th 05 08:24 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM