Posted to alt.home.repair

Default From Ceramic Tile to Wood Laminate

I'm taking up tile and plan on laying down a laminate floor. How
critical is getting up all of the thin-set from the plywood? and if
so, any suggestions? I'm using a sledge hammer to break it up, but
really slow going.
thanks
Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 10:37*am, MikeL wrote:
I'm taking up tile and plan on laying down a laminate floor. How
critical is getting up all of the thin-set from the plywood? and if
so, any suggestions? I'm using a sledge hammer to break it up, but
really slow going.
thanks
Mike

I did the same thing 2 years ago. I got a heavy floor scraper from HD
that helped with the smaller pieces and the thinset. Still had to
break the old tile with a hammer and chisel. It wasn't perfectly
smooth, but the foam underlay smoothed it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeL wrote:
I'm taking up tile and plan on laying down a laminate floor. How
critical is getting up all of the thin-set from the plywood? and if
so, any suggestions? I'm using a sledge hammer to break it up, but
really slow going.
thanks
Mike

If you've got an air compressor, you might try one of these air hammers:

Or, you could just say "If life gives you thinset..." and add floor leveler
to the spots WITHOUT thinset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you've got an air compressor, you might try one of these air hammers:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32940

Or, you could just say "If life gives you thinset..." and add floor leveler
to the spots WITHOUT thinset.

I second that process!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:51:11 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Mar 7, 10:56*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
MikeL wrote:
I'm taking up tile and plan on laying down a laminate floor. How
critical is getting up all of the thin-set from the plywood? and if
so, any suggestions? I'm using a sledge hammer to break it up, but
really slow going.
thanks
Mike

If you've got an air compressor, you might try one of these air hammers:

Or, you could just say "If life gives you thinset..." and add floor leveler
to the spots WITHOUT thinset.

I second that process!

For a BIG job, one can rent a long reach pneumatic scraper. Easy on
the knees. HF has one for $129.00, but rental is cheaper I guess.
Worth the rental for a big job.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tre...-Reach-Scraper

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 7, 9:37*am, MikeL wrote:
I'm taking up tile and plan on laying down a laminate floor. How
critical is getting up all of the thin-set from the plywood? and if
so, any suggestions? I'm using a sledge hammer to break it up, but
really slow going.
thanks
Mike

Think outside the box and consider how much faster it might be to just
put down a new subfloor. Even if it is a DIY project, you don't want
to spend hours and hours to get a half assed result with scrapers or
leveling compounds. If you start at one edge with the first joist, you
could pull up subfloor in sections complete with the tile and heave it
in the roll-off. New plywood will be a joy to work with and your
laminate should have much longer life.

Joe