Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soft Drywall

I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter H wrote:
I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

Hmmm,
Think moisture.
I am glad I left Toronto in 1970 out to West.
Calgary is my home since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:36:17 -0800 (PST), Peter H
wrote:

I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

Not in that era that I'm aware of. Your area may be different. I would
certainly look for moisture as the drywall (sheet rock) may crumble.

What kind of anchors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:44*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Peter H wrote:
I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

Hmmm,
Think moisture.
I am glad I left Toronto in 1970 out to West.
Calgary is my home since.

Anyone that leaves Toronto is glad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:36*pm, Peter H wrote:
I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

I have a similar problem but mine is due to the whole house being
rocked in 3/8" drywall.

That 1/8" makes a huge difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you do some research I think you'll find that's evidence of a home that
stood for possibly several years without heat and wasn't occupied. We see
it all the time here in NY.

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

"Peter H" wrote in message
I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter H" wrote in message

I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm... that could be it. I know that a former owner had a difficult
time selling... maybe he let it sit without heat while it was on the
market.

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 2/23/2010 8:36 PM, Peter H wrote:
I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

You didn't say what you considered as usual. All the previous homes I
lived in were built in the 50's. Their walls were plastered. Compared
to drywall that stuff is as hard as a rock.

You can score drywall with your thumbnail, it's that soft. With the
paper removed it would not be able to support itself.

It may have been damaged somehow, Maybe someone papered directly over
the raw drywall at one time and then the paper was pulled off taking
some of the drywall paper with it.

If you push or tap on it does it seem solid. You can easily put your
fist through 1/2" drywall. Try that on a real plaster wall and you
will probably be wearing some plaster for a few months.

On the other hand it seems like Holmes gets most of his business
around Taronna.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter H" wrote in message

I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area.
I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks
etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the
main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite
easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did
it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm... that could be it. I know that a former owner had a difficult
time selling... maybe he let it sit without heat while it was on the
market.

Peter H

I bet that is what's going on as well...I see it here in Maine as
well...People used to let summer homes sit all winter with no heat and after
a few years the paint would peel and the drywall would fall apart...HTH..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter H" wrote in message

[...]

Hmph. yet another reason why when I hit the lotto and build my dream
house, it won't have any drywall in it. T&G plank paneling, exposed
stone, brick, whatever. Never did trust drywall.

aem (hey you dang kids get offa my lawn) sends....