Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mag Light Battery Corrosion (off topic)

I recently had a battery corrode in my black
4D cell Mag light. Old style bulb, if that's
relevant.

The 4D mag light by my front door was dead. I
managed to get the tail cap off (two big pipe
wrenches) and find the bottom battery had
corroded. Brand new battery, Endurance, from
Advance Auto Parts. After considerable scrubbing
and sanding, the light works again. I'm leaving it
in peices over night to dry. Then load up with
four Rayovac cells, and a shot of grease on the
tail cap threads.

The 4D mag is my "grab and go" light, in case I
need to go some where in a hurry.

It was only happy coincidence that I found the
corroded battery. Might have been there for
years, if I'd not needed the light for a bulb
test.

Since that time, others have told me that
batteries
corrode only in D cell mags, and typically the
battery next to the tail cap. Has anyone else
had this happen? Is it a common problem?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 8:07*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

.

Yep, killed my 3D graveyard dead. I only wish I'd caught it in time,
now the switch is gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:07:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Since that time, others have told me that
batteries
corrode only in D cell mags, and typically the
battery next to the tail cap. Has anyone else
had this happen? Is it a common problem?

I may be wrong but the Endurance battery is a heavy duty battery.
Not alkaline. That would account for the leakage more than anything
else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The ones I have say akaline, and the weight of the
battery is consistent. It is very possible they do
make carbon zinc cells with the same name.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I may be wrong but the Endurance battery is a
heavy duty battery.
Not alkaline. That would account for the leakage
more than anything
else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been a while, but I thought "heavy duty"
batteries leaked brown, and crumbly. The alkalines
leak a clear, alkaline liquid.

It's an excellent question, for sure.

--
Christopher A. Young