Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Securing copper pipes and heat expansion

Yet another newbie plumbing question :-)

So I have most of my pipes back where I want them. In one place I come out
of the floor with a hot water pipe, elbow, elbow, elbow, connect to shower
valve. I tee out of this and elbow, elbow, elbow, and stick out the wall
for sink (I know, hard to picture exactly what it looks like, but there are
about six elbows total because that is what it takes to get the pipe where
it is needed lol)

Question - if I secure the pipes to the wall here and there, will the
stress of warming and cooling pipes that are fastened to wall and have a
bunch of elbows here and there cause premature failing, or is the pipe
strong enough to take the stress? I'm using copper, rigid, 3/4 to shower
valve, 1/2 from the tee to sink valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 11:32*am, Zootal wrote:
Yet another newbie plumbing question :-)

So I have most of my pipes back where I want them. In one place I come out
of the floor with a hot water pipe, elbow, elbow, elbow, connect to shower
valve. I tee out of this and elbow, elbow, elbow, and stick out the wall
for sink (I know, hard to picture exactly what it looks like, but there are
about six elbows total because that is what it takes to get the pipe where
it is needed lol)

Question - if I secure the pipes to the wall here and there, will the
stress of warming and cooling pipes that are fastened to wall and have a
bunch of elbows here and there cause premature failing, or is the pipe
strong enough to take the stress? I'm using copper, rigid, 3/4 to shower
valve, 1/2 from the tee to sink valve.

Leave a little slack in the supports so the pipe doesn't get clamped
tight. The idea is support, not rigidity. also place your supports
such that minor expansion is allowed, like away from the tees, other
fittings. If your soldering techniques are good, there will be no
problems.
If you have doubts about your skills, there are some pretty good video
clips on YouTube that will be useful.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

And use copper or plastic supports. You don't want steel in contact with the
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 12:32*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

pipe.- Hide quoted text -

A sleeve of some material like soft cloth or even cardboard between
the pipes and the clamps will allow them to move slightly without the
clanking that will occur if they are held more rigidly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 12:32*pm, Zootal wrote:
Yet another newbie plumbing question :-)

So I have most of my pipes back where I want them. In one place I come out
of the floor with a hot water pipe, elbow, elbow, elbow, connect to shower
valve. I tee out of this and elbow, elbow, elbow, and stick out the wall
for sink (I know, hard to picture exactly what it looks like, but there are
about six elbows total because that is what it takes to get the pipe where
it is needed lol)

Question - if I secure the pipes to the wall here and there, will the
stress of warming and cooling pipes that are fastened to wall and have a
bunch of elbows here and there cause premature failing, or is the pipe
strong enough to take the stress? I'm using copper, rigid, 3/4 to shower
valve, 1/2 from the tee to sink valve.

Think of what an expansion joint consist of. Basically it is a "U"
that id placed somewhere in the middle of a long run that allows some
flex when the long run expands and contracts. With so many turns it
sounds like you may already have this type of flex built into your
plumbing. Don't get too carried away with clamping it down, you can
leave a little slop in it.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

A sleeve of some material like soft cloth or even cardboard between
the pipes and the clamps will allow them to move slightly without the
clanking that will occur if they are held more rigidly.

Excellent advice, all of you, that was what I needed to know - tyvm!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Tyvm,
I'll second that, about steel clamps being not
OK. I've seen enough rubbed-through copper tubing
in my life.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zootal" wrote in
message
. 97.131...

Excellent advice, all of you, that was what I
needed to know - tyvm!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hlcpsb
:

Dear Tyvm,
I'll second that, about steel clamps being not
OK. I've seen enough rubbed-through copper tubing
in my life.

The entire mess holds itself inplace pretty well. The shower elbow and
diverter elbow are brass and screw to the wall studs. I'm using just a few
copper brackets in a few places, and I put them over the elbows and not
directly over the pipe itself. With a bit of luck, this plumbing job will
last longer then I will gg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 7:45*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

* * I'll second that, about steel clamps being not
OK. I've seen enough rubbed-through copper tubing
in my life.

A little late to the party, but this is what I've been using for the
last couple of years.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28...px?sku=4203949