Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resin for home repair

I have two repair jobs that I think are going to be facilitated by
some casting resin.

First, the surface molding on some kitchen cabinet doors is broken and
missing. I have no chance of matching it with wood but if I can mold
some of what remains and cast replacement parts then put a faux wood
finish on it, I think it'll be OK.

Second, I'm missing the brass filigree around a key hole on the drawer
of an antique desk. I can make a mold from the piece on another
drawer and then cast something and paint it with antique brass paint
and have a decent match.

I remember "Castolite" from my youth and Googled it and found some
hits. Googling "casting resin" led to
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Casting%20Kit
and others but I'd rather start with a recommendation. Anyone have a
favorite material or source they'd care to recommend?

TIA.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2010 4:46 PM Christopher Nelson spake thus:

I have two repair jobs that I think are going to be facilitated by
some casting resin.

First, the surface molding on some kitchen cabinet doors is broken and
missing. I have no chance of matching it with wood but if I can mold
some of what remains and cast replacement parts then put a faux wood
finish on it, I think it'll be OK.

Second, I'm missing the brass filigree around a key hole on the drawer
of an antique desk. I can make a mold from the piece on another
drawer and then cast something and paint it with antique brass paint
and have a decent match.

I remember "Castolite" from my youth and Googled it and found some
hits. Googling "casting resin" led to
http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....0Casting%20Kit
and others but I'd rather start with a recommendation. Anyone have a
favorite material or source they'd care to recommend?

No specific recommendations, but you might want to check out TAP
Plastics (http://tapplastics.com), or maybe go to one of their stores.
They have a lot of mold-making and casting materials.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

hits. *Googling "casting resin" led tohttp://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Starter%20Kits&Name=...
and others but I'd rather start with a recommendation. *Anyone have a
favorite material or source they'd care to recommend?

TIA.

Chris

Chris-

don't have a great suggestion for the cabinet

but for the lock.......

Check these out and see if any will do the trick.

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/...f12gtdghfg8um0

cheers
Bob