Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new insulation mat'l

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ulation-market

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 3:52*pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume...

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

It will be so expensive for years it wont be used in houses. And who
knows maybe it deteriorates in 5 years, the guy said you can heat a 2
bedroom house with a canadle and it will get to hot. Dont beleive
everything you read, if it sounds to good to be true it usualy isnt
true, the candle statement is pure bs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 3:52*pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume...

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

Its R10 per inch, at any box store you can get a 4x8 sheet of
foilfaced Polyisocyanurate foamboard that is about R 7" for about 15$
and fiberglasss batt for alot cheaper. It will have alot of uses , but
not first in houses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:06:06 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 4, 3:52*pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume...

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

It will be so expensive for years it wont be used in houses. And who
knows maybe it deteriorates in 5 years, the guy said you can heat a 2
bedroom house with a canadle and it will get to hot. Dont beleive
everything you read, if it sounds to good to be true it usualy isnt
true, the candle statement is pure bs.

Seems to me, any insulation will do that if you use enough of it.
Practical and cost effective? Probably not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume....

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

It will be so expensive for years it wont be used in houses. And who
knows maybe it deteriorates in 5 years, the guy said you can heat a 2
bedroom house with a canadle and it will get to hot. Dont beleive
everything you read, if it sounds to good to be true it usualy isnt
true, *the candle statement is pure bs.

Seems to me, any insulation will do that if you use enough of it.
Practical and cost effective? *Probably not.

One of the solar houses at the Solar Decathlon in DC, I think it was
MIT's, had a wall of the stuff. The aerogel was sandwiched between
two polycarbonate sheets and it transmitted a soft white light from
the outside. Right now the energy code limits the amount of glazing.
The aerogel stuff would allow more windows, granted not transparent,
without taking an energy hit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume...

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

Its R10 per inch, at any box store you can get a 4x8 sheet of
foilfaced Polyisocyanurate foamboard that is about R 7" for about 15$
and fiberglasss batt for alot cheaper. It will have alot of uses , but
not first in houses.

It would probably be great for freezers and fridges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 1:41*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume....

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

Its R10 per inch, at any box store you can get *a 4x8 sheet of
foilfaced Polyisocyanurate foamboard that is about R 7" for about 15$
and fiberglasss batt for alot cheaper. It will have alot of uses , but
not first in houses.

It would probably be great for freezers and fridges.

I understand that has already been tried. The only real benifit was
thinner walls. The real energy wasteing part of a fridge is opening
the door. All the insulation in the world cant do anything about that.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume...

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

It will be so expensive for years it wont be used in houses. And who
knows maybe it deteriorates in 5 years, the guy said you can heat a 2
bedroom house with a canadle and it will get to hot. Dont beleive
everything you read, if it sounds to good to be true it usualy isnt
true, the candle statement is pure bs.

Yes, the candle bull**** I think was said many years ago, I'll bet that
guy feels like a real ass now with someone quoting him again on his
stupid comment made many years ago. It's just plain stupidity. Is he
talking about a house with no windows? Just one window probably looses
a lot more heat then a candle creates. I suppose it's all relative.
Maybe he has some big MF'ing candles?

And it's also only 4 times more efficient than fiberglass insulation.
Think of a heating unit today, whatever flavor. In theory with the new
insulation we should be able to use a furnace that puts out 1/4th of our
current furnace. And is that equal to 1 candle? Sure, OK that means I
should be able to heat my house with fiberglass insulation by using only
4 candles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume...

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

Its R10 per inch, at any box store you can get a 4x8 sheet of
foilfaced Polyisocyanurate foamboard that is about R 7" for about 15$
and fiberglasss batt for alot cheaper. It will have alot of uses , but
not first in houses.

It would probably be great for freezers and fridges.

Maybe we wouldn't need the condensation heating strips anymore?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:16*pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

I think its only near 3x better than fiberglass batt, R 10 " aerogell.
R 3.4 to R 3.75" fiberglass batt. It will have uses in commercial
industry, but remember UFFI, it turned to dust in 10-15 years,
fiberglass is glass and good for maybe many lifetimes, nobody knows
how long aerogell will really last yet. I also read it used to be one
of the most explosive products made, I wonder if it still is explosive
in some way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:16 pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

If it was made with sugar, I can just about guarantee an explosive burn
in the open. In a confined space it would probably act like gun cotton.
Hmm, I've never tried to burn cotton candy, anybody out there done it?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:25:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

If it was made with sugar, I can just about guarantee an explosive burn
in the open. In a confined space it would probably act like gun cotton.
Hmm, I've never tried to burn cotton candy, anybody out there done it?

TDD

I can just about guarantee it will not burn in the open any more than
any other approved insulating material. It MUST be treated to meet the
fire codes if used in building insulation. Simple enough technology,
really.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:25:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

If it was made with sugar, I can just about guarantee an explosive burn
in the open. In a confined space it would probably act like gun cotton.
Hmm, I've never tried to burn cotton candy, anybody out there done it?

TDD

I can just about guarantee it will not burn in the open any more than
any other approved insulating material. It MUST be treated to meet the
fire codes if used in building insulation. Simple enough technology,
really.

I didn't mean some made from sugar to be used for insulation. It was
a hypothetical situation. Gosh, the aerogels are like frozen clouds
and you know that powdered sugar, flower, grain dust, coal dust, etc
will ignite and burn vigorously if tossed into the air and the resulting
cloud of dust is ignited. I don't know if a silicon-based aerogel could
burn or need to be treated to prevent combustion. Things that most folks
would never think as combustible will burn if aerosolized. I suppose I
should do a little research about whether or not it's possible for a
silicon-based aerogel to burn. I like to freak people out by lighting
steel wool. It's a good I bet I can set fire to steel with a match trick.

TDD