Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default new insulation mat'l

On Feb 5, 3:16*pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ls-hit-consume....

wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is

It will be so expensive for years it wont be used in houses. And who
knows maybe it deteriorates in 5 years, the guy said you can heat a 2
bedroom house with a canadle and it will get to hot. Dont beleive
everything you read, if it sounds to good to be true it usualy isnt
true, *the candle statement is pure bs.

Yes, the candle bull**** I think was said many years ago, I'll bet that
guy feels like a real ass now with someone quoting him again on his
stupid comment made many years ago. *It's just plain stupidity. *Is he
talking about a house with no windows? *Just one window probably looses
a lot more heat then a candle creates. *I suppose it's all relative.
Maybe he has some big MF'ing candles?

And it's also only 4 times more efficient than fiberglass insulation.
Think of a heating unit today, whatever flavor. *In theory with the new
insulation we should be able to use a furnace that puts out 1/4th of our
current furnace. *And is that equal to 1 candle? *Sure, OK that means I
should be able to heat my house with fiberglass insulation by using only
4 candles.

I think its only near 3x better than fiberglass batt, R 10 " aerogell.
R 3.4 to R 3.75" fiberglass batt. It will have uses in commercial
industry, but remember UFFI, it turned to dust in 10-15 years,
fiberglass is glass and good for maybe many lifetimes, nobody knows
how long aerogell will really last yet. I also read it used to be one
of the most explosive products made, I wonder if it still is explosive
in some way.