Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI must be 20 amps.

Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 7:45*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

Thanks,

Sam

Look he

TinyURL -

http://tinyurl.com/yjgo652

Full URL -

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachmen...ting-table.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

True. The National Electrical Code permits putting 15A outlets on 20A
circuits, but not the other way around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:44*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

True. The National Electrical Code permits putting 15A outlets on 20A
circuits, but not the other way around.

I'm assuming it's OK to put the circuit in question on a 15A GFCI
breaker. That would solve the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

True. The National Electrical Code permits putting 15A outlets on 20A
circuits, but not the other way around.

I'm assuming it's OK to put the circuit in question on a 15A GFCI
breaker. That would solve the problem.

He still can't put a 20 amp receptacle on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a 20amp
circuit. True or false?

Yes a 20 amp outlet GFCI or regular would need to be on a 20 amp circuit.
This would be an outlet with an additional slot for a sideways prong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

True. The National Electrical Code permits putting 15A outlets on 20A
circuits, but not the other way around.

I'm assuming it's OK to put the circuit in question on a 15A GFCI
breaker. That would solve the problem.

He still can't put a 20 amp receptacle on it.

No, but I think the OP's problem is he wants a certain outlet which is
on a 15A circuit to be GFI protected. If he did not want to re-run the
whole circuit to be 20A, he could just simply install a 15A GFI
breaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

wrote:
Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

True. The National Electrical Code permits putting 15A outlets on 20A
circuits, but not the other way around.

I'm assuming it's OK to put the circuit in question on a 15A GFCI
breaker. That would solve the problem.

He still can't put a 20 amp receptacle on it.

No, but I think the OP's problem is he wants a certain outlet which is
on a 15A circuit to be GFI protected. If he did not want to re-run the
whole circuit to be 20A, he could just simply install a 15A GFI
breaker.

You may be correct, but sometimes people want to use 20 amp devices because
their built "stronger". There is no reason that the OP can't install a 15
amp GFCI outlet on the circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote the following:

wrote:

Hi,

My contractor told me that by code a 20amp GFCI outlet must be on a
20amp circuit. True or false?

True. The National Electrical Code permits putting 15A outlets on 20A
circuits, but not the other way around.

I'm assuming it's OK to put the circuit in question on a 15A GFCI
breaker. That would solve the problem.

He still can't put a 20 amp receptacle on it.

No, but I think the OP's problem is he wants a certain outlet which is
on a 15A circuit to be GFI protected. If he did not want to re-run the
whole circuit to be 20A, he could just simply install a 15A GFI
breaker.

The OP (me) has a 20 amp GFCI breaker for the garage circuit in the
breaker box.
The overload tripping the GFCI breaker is so infrequent that it is hard
to pin down what happened to cause the breaker to trip.
Maybe the refrigerator and freezer happen to be running at the same time
that I use the garage door opener, but if it did, I would know
immediately since I wouldn't be able to close the door. . Nothing else
in the garage is running all the time nor is anything plugged in that
automatically starts and stops, other than the refrigerator and the
freezer. Absent that knowledge, I would just like to be able to reset
the circuit without having to make a trip to the basement to reset the
breaker .
I already have a solution to warn me when the breaker has tripped. The
garage door wired opener with the red light being moved to inside the
abode, as mentioned in an earlier thread.
I think I may buy a power strip for each of the three outlets in the
garage, and when the circuit is overloaded, the tripped breaker in that
power strip will let me know where the problem is.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, it turns out that I misunderstood what my contractor was telling me.

According to him, in a new work bathroom, all circuits must be 20amp and
GFCI. So I'm not allowed to run a 15 amp circuit there. True or false?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
OK, it turns out that I misunderstood what my contractor was telling me.

According to him, in a new work bathroom, all circuits must be 20amp and
GFCI. So I'm not allowed to run a 15 amp circuit there. True or false?

True. And it needs to be a separate 20 amp circuit for just the bathroom.

That is so you can use a hair blow dryer and not trip the breaker...

If you have other power hogs in there like an electric heater, might want
additional circuits. The idea is you can use the things in your bathroom
without breakers tripping. Makes life more enjoyable! You use your bathroom
everyday...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Bill" wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
OK, it turns out that I misunderstood what my contractor was telling me.

According to him, in a new work bathroom, all circuits must be 20amp and
GFCI. So I'm not allowed to run a 15 amp circuit there. True or false?

True.

False.

2008 NEC, Article 210.11(C)(3) requires a minimum of one 20A circuit to supply
bathroom receptacles -- but it does not prohibit installation of 15A circuits
in addition to the required 20A circuit.

And it needs to be a separate 20 amp circuit for just the bathroom.

Not quite correct.

That one 20A circuit is permitted to supply receptacles in *multiple*
bathrooms. It may not supply receptacles anywhere else, but it it *not*
required to have one 20A circuit *per bathroom*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Bill" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
OK, it turns out that I misunderstood what my contractor was telling me.

According to him, in a new work bathroom, all circuits must be 20amp and
GFCI. So I'm not allowed to run a 15 amp circuit there. True or false?

True.

False.

2008 NEC, Article 210.11(C)(3) requires a minimum of one 20A circuit to supply
bathroom receptacles -- but it does not prohibit installation of 15A circuits
in addition to the required 20A circuit.

And it needs to be a separate 20 amp circuit for just the bathroom.

Not quite correct.

That one 20A circuit is permitted to supply receptacles in *multiple*
bathrooms. It may not supply receptacles anywhere else, but it it *not*
required to have one 20A circuit *per bathroom*.

Do the same rules apply to first floor powder rooms?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
2008 NEC, Article 210.11(C)(3) requires a minimum of one 20A circuit to supply
bathroom receptacles -- but it does not prohibit installation of 15A circuits
in addition to the required 20A circuit.

[...]
That one 20A circuit is permitted to supply receptacles in *multiple*
bathrooms. It may not supply receptacles anywhere else, but it it *not*
required to have one 20A circuit *per bathroom*.

Do the same rules apply to first floor powder rooms?

I have no idea what you mean by a "powder room".

Here's what the NEC means by "bathroom":
"An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub,
or a shower." [2008 NEC, Article 100]

NEC rules applying to bathrooms apply to any room meeting that definition,
regardless of what you call it, or what floor it's on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

That approach of finding the overload will work IF it happens that a
major short or overload of some kind is happening at whatever happens
to be plugged into the one particular strip that may trip. But
it's not going to tell you if the sum total of ALL the loads
everywhere on the circuit is just exceeding 20 amps. To do that with
your approach, you'd have to have a 20 amp power strip and plug ALL
the loads into the one strip.

As I suggested previously, I'd start by getting a Kill-a-Watt or an
amp meter and measuring what each of the various loads on that circuit
is pulling to determine if any one is out of range. Also, again, if
it's the STARTING current from the fridge that's tripping it, changing
the breaker to a delay type may solve the problem. And if it's one
appliance, like a freezer that is pulling way too much, the solution
may be to replace it with a new one which could use $100 or more a
year LESS electricity and pay for itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 7:17*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
2008 NEC, Article 210.11(C)(3) requires a minimum of one 20A circuit to supply
bathroom receptacles -- but it does not prohibit installation of 15A circuits
in addition to the required 20A circuit.

[...]
That one 20A circuit is permitted to supply receptacles in *multiple*
bathrooms. It may not supply receptacles anywhere else, but it it *not*
required to have one 20A circuit *per bathroom*.

Do the same rules apply to first floor powder rooms?

I have no idea what you mean by a "powder room".

Here's what the NEC means by "bathroom":
"An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub,
or a shower." [2008 NEC, Article 100]

NEC rules applying to bathrooms apply to any room meeting that definition,
regardless of what you call it, or what floor it's on.

This is just an interesting story about the differences between local
tax codes and NEC Codes - which I know are in no way related.

" Here's what the NEC means by "bathroom": "An area including a
basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a
shower." [2008 NEC, Article 100] "

When I moved into my house, it was listed as having 1.5 baths and I
was taxed as having 1.5 baths. The 1/2 bath in the basement had a
toilet and a shower but no sink.

My town's tax code considers any room with 2 fixtures to be a half-
bath, more than 2 to be a full bath - regardless of what the fixtures
are.

So, per the NEC, I guess that room wasn't a bathroom but per my town
it was.

"I have no idea what you mean by a "powder room"."

I don't know if you were being serious or not, so...

In many parts of our fair country, that first floor room with the sink
and toilet is often referred to as a "powder room" as in the room you
go to right after you say "Excuse me, I'm going to powder my nose."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:17=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Sam Takoy samta...=

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

And whether it's a bathroom for the purposes of your local electrical code is
a completely separate question from whether it's a bathroom for the purposes
of your property tax assessment.

"I have no idea what you mean by a "powder room"."

I don't know if you were being serious or not, so...

Of course I was being serious. I know what *I* mean by that phrase, but the
only thing that's relevant here is what *he* means by it. And since he didn't
explain that, there's no way to know. We can guess, but we can't know.

In many parts of our fair country, that first floor room with the sink
and toilet is often referred to as a "powder room" as in the room you
go to right after you say "Excuse me, I'm going to powder my nose."

And that, of course, is a bathroom as defined by the NEC. But that still
doesn't tell us what the OP meant by that phrase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
2008 NEC, Article 210.11(C)(3) requires a minimum of one 20A circuit to supply
bathroom receptacles -- but it does not prohibit installation of 15A circuits
in addition to the required 20A circuit.

[...]
That one 20A circuit is permitted to supply receptacles in *multiple*
bathrooms. It may not supply receptacles anywhere else, but it it *not*
required to have one 20A circuit *per bathroom*.

Do the same rules apply to first floor powder rooms?

I have no idea what you mean by a "powder room".

Here's what the NEC means by "bathroom":
"An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub,
or a shower." [2008 NEC, Article 100]

NEC rules applying to bathrooms apply to any room meeting that definition,
regardless of what you call it, or what floor it's on.

OK, let me belabor this point. There is a toilet and a sink in an area
of 7 sq. ft. There is no place to plug in a radiator. The only place to
put the outlet is in the same electrical box as the light switch. The
light is already wired with 14/2 and the ceiling is closed.

I can break the code in one of three ways:
1. Put two circuits in one electrical box (15amp and 20amp)
2. Have only one 20 amp circuit with 14/2 wire running to the light
3. Use a 15amp GFCI outlet.

I'm thinking of going for #3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Sam Takoy

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Meets the NEC definition of a bathroom.

There is no place to plug in a radiator.

Huh? Radiator?

The only place to
put the outlet is in the same electrical box as the light switch.

Oh, come on, now. Surely there's some place where you can add a new outlet on
a separate 20A circuit. Use your imagination.

The light is already wired with 14/2 and the ceiling is closed.

I can break the code in one of three ways:
1. Put two circuits in one electrical box (15amp and 20amp)

That's not a violation as far as I am aware.

2. Have only one 20 amp circuit with 14/2 wire running to the light
3. Use a 15amp GFCI outlet.

I'm thinking of going for #3.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 12:03*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:18:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
When I moved into my house, it was listed as having 1.5 baths and I
was taxed as having 1.5 baths. The 1/2 bath in the basement had a
toilet and a shower but no sink.

My town's tax code considers any room with 2 fixtures to be a half-
bath, more than 2 to be a full bath - regardless of what the fixtures
are.

So, per the NEC, I guess that room wasn't a bathroom but per my town
it was.

If there was a sink right outside the door of that room it would still
be considered a bathroom because the code says "area". It is not
uncommon in McMansions to have a sink and vanity outside the room
where the toilet and shower is. (similar to what you see in a hotel)
The whole area is the bathroom.

Trust me, this house is a far cry from a McMansion!

The only sink in the "area" was a utility sink on the opposite side of
the basement. You'd have to consider the whole basement as the
bathroom for the NEC to consider that room a bathroom.

Now, while I was replacing the toilet and shower I did remove the
bathroom walls, so for a short period of time that whole section of
the basement was one room, which included the utility sink, so I guess
it was a bathroom per the NEC while the walls were down.

I wonder if they care that the "bathroom" had a fridge, furnace,
washer, dryer, storage shelves, TV, ironing board, etc. etc. etc. in
it. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Doug,

I didn't mean anything by my comment. I don't know if every locale
uses the same terminology for that type of room.

Where I grew up we ate heros and drank soda. Where I live now, it's
subs and pop.

I was just trying to help.

In many parts of our fair country, that first floor room with the sink
and toilet is often referred to as a "powder room" as in the room you
go to right after you say "Excuse me, I'm going to powder my nose."

And that, of course, is a bathroom as defined by the NEC. But that still
doesn't tell us what the OP meant by that phrase.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 11:34*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
And that, of course, is a bathroom as defined by the NEC. But that still
doesn't tell us what the OP meant by that phrase.

What *else* would he mean?

Does he need to explain "kitchen" or "bedroom" to you as well?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:

Doug,

I didn't mean anything by my comment. I don't know if every locale
uses the same terminology for that type of room.

Where I grew up we ate heros and drank soda. Where I live now, it's
subs and pop.

I was just trying to help.

No offense taken; I'm sorry I gave the impression there was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 2:31*pm, wrote:
On Feb 8, 11:34*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

And that, of course, is a bathroom as defined by the NEC. But that still
doesn't tell us what the OP meant by that phrase.

What *else* would he mean?

Does he need to explain "kitchen" or "bedroom" to you as well?

He could have meant this...

http://www.powderrm.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 1:16*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Wow!

I've got a tiny sink in my basement bathroom - 15" x 12", which 1.25
sq ft.

My toilet is 31" x 18" which is 3.875 sq ft.

That means you have 7 - (3.875 + 1.25) = 1.875 sq ft of "open space"
left.

Do you have to pull your pants up in the hallway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

That is not a proper bathroom either...

Plumbing code requires wherever a toilet is installed a sink is also
required...

My town's tax code considers any room with 2 fixtures to be a half-
bath, more than 2 to be a full bath - regardless of what the fixtures
are.

So, per the NEC, I guess that room wasn't a bathroom but per my town
it was.

"I have no idea what you mean by a "powder room"."

I don't know if you were being serious or not, so...

In many parts of our fair country, that first floor room with the sink
and toilet is often referred to as a "powder room" as in the room you
go to right after you say "Excuse me, I'm going to powder my nose."

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Sam Takoy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

"That is not a proper bathroom either"

Tell that to my town...

Once again it shows that local assessment codes have nothing to do
with NEC/plumbing/other codes.

As per my town, any 2 fixtures is a 1/2 bath, even if by plumbing code
it's not a "proper bath".

HP/Amps Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 2 September 12th 08 09:57 AM
HP/Amps Chris Friesen Woodworking 2 September 12th 08 01:40 AM
GFCI outlets required with a GFCI Breaker? [email protected] Home Repair 17 August 3rd 08 07:06 PM
gfci amps. HARRY BUCKLEY Home Repair 9 February 5th 06 06:17 PM
GFCI outlets vs. GFCI breakers? Alan Beagley Home Repair 10 October 30th 03 05:44 PM