Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Do you think splicing 100' of wire onto a GTO exit wand would work?

mm writes:
If you're burying it when you're done, silicone tape, I think it's
called, is even better than heat-shrink tubing and doesn't slip on, it
wraps on. Stretch it to 2 or 3 times its length, then wrap while
streched and within a few days it merges into one big probably
waterproof blob. Hard to find though.

HD has it in several locations in our local stores (plumbing and maybe also
electrical areas) - may be hard to find cuz most people don't know about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:14:22 -0500, blueman wrote:

mm writes:
If you're burying it when you're done, silicone tape, I think it's
called, is even better than heat-shrink tubing and doesn't slip on, it
wraps on. Stretch it to 2 or 3 times its length, then wrap while
streched and within a few days it merges into one big probably
waterproof blob. Hard to find though.

HD has it in several locations in our local stores (plumbing and maybe also
electrical areas) - may be hard to find cuz most people don't know about it.

It seems we are talking about -- at least that's what's included in
his kit -- "Scotch 23 High Voltage Tape"**, but when I search on that
at the Home Depot site, I get 2 hits, regular vinyl electrical tape
and packaging tape. When I search on "Scotch 23", I don't get
anything.

Now HD and Lowes have the worst webpages I've come across, so maybe
that doesn't mean anything.

The one easily visible thing I've noticed about this tape is that it
is wound on a white plastic spool, instead of a cardboard spool. It's
thick and has a backing layer that has to be removed to use a piece.

Are we talking about the same thing? Do they really have it at HD.
I looked years ago but couldnt' find it.

It's expensive. I think I paid 11 or 12 dollars a roll, but it's great
for special uses.

**Other listings for this tape call it self-fusing. That probably
refers to what I said about merging into a big blob. Other
descriptions make reference to the polyester liner, the backing layer.

But so far, I've found little reference to how it is to be applied.
Just one line "Physical and electrical properties are unaffected by
the degree of stretch." and I don't see how that is even true. OF
course if it is stretched to thee times its length and it's 2/3rds
thinner, it's going to have lower strength and electrical insulating
qualities. They even have a chart about that on page 3 of the same
data sheet.

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk/upload/...ber_Tape. pdf

Self-amalgamating they call it here.

BTW, if you don't stretch it, it won't stick to what's underneath it.
There is no adhesive on the tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

mm writes:
If you're burying it when you're done, silicone tape

HD has it in several locations in our local stores (plumbing and maybe also
electrical areas) - may be hard to find cuz most people don't know about it.

I'll go to Home Depot today and let us know what I find.

In hind sight, I should have bought the WIRELESS vehicle exit sensor setup!
http://www.mightymule.com/PDF/Manual...xit-Sensor.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

mm writes:
If you're burying it when you're done, silicone tape, I think it's
called, is even better than heat-shrink tubing and doesn't slip on, it
wraps on. Stretch it to 2 or 3 times its length, then wrap while
streched and within a few days it merges into one big probably
waterproof blob. Hard to find though.

HD has it in several locations in our local stores (plumbing and maybe also
electrical areas) - may be hard to find cuz most people don't know about it.

It seems we are talking about -- at least that's what's included in
his kit -- "Scotch 23 High Voltage Tape"**, but when I search on that
at the Home Depot site, I get 2 hits, regular vinyl electrical tape
and packaging tape. When I search on "Scotch 23", I don't get
anything.

I don't remember it being called High Voltage Tape...

Now HD and Lowes have the worst webpages I've come across, so maybe
that doesn't mean anything.

The one easily visible thing I've noticed about this tape is that it
is wound on a white plastic spool, instead of a cardboard spool. It's
thick and has a backing layer that has to be removed to use a piece.

I think that's right because otherwise it would stick to itself -- which
is exactly what it should be doing when you apply it.

Are we talking about the same thing? Do they really have it at HD.

They do in our area.
I looked years ago but couldnt' find it.

It's expensive. I think I paid 11 or 12 dollars a roll, but it's great
for special uses.

I seem to remember more like $5-7.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

mm writes:
If you're burying it when you're done, silicone tape, I think it's
called, is even better than heat-shrink tubing and doesn't slip on, it
wraps on. Stretch it to 2 or 3 times its length, then wrap while
streched and within a few days it merges into one big probably
waterproof blob. Hard to find though.

HD has it in several locations in our local stores (plumbing and maybe also
electrical areas) - may be hard to find cuz most people don't know about it.

It seems we are talking about -- at least that's what's included in
his kit -- "Scotch 23 High Voltage Tape"**, but when I search on that
at the Home Depot site, I get 2 hits, regular vinyl electrical tape
and packaging tape. When I search on "Scotch 23", I don't get
anything.

I don't remember it being called High Voltage Tape...

Most of the hits I got yesterday called it Scotch 23 Rubber Splicing
Tape.

Hah, Mouser sells it. Within the areas they sell things for
connectors, small switches, etc. they have just about everything,
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...11ygiiXNI% 3D

They call it rubber splicing tape. When I got mine, it came without a
wrapper, which is why I ddidn't know what to call it.

They want 22.76 a roll. A dollar less each if you buy two. The URL I
posted yesterday charged about 12. I don't know about relative
shipping costs. This is for 3/4" which is the narrowist I've seen.
30 feet which is what the other rolls that width were.

This width is what I have and if you get wider, it may be harder to
economize with it.

A search for rubber splicing at the HD site showed nothing.

Lowes came up with
Image x
3M 3/4"W x 15'L Electrical Splicing Tape
Item #: 158594 | Model #: 2242

For moisture sealing and insulating.
Highly conformable, linerless ethylene propylene rubber (EPR) based
tape

But this is number 2242 Linerless Rubber Splicing tape, with which I
have no experience and it isn't the same thing because without the
liner the other stuff would merge into a blob. It's only 3.94 but if
it doesn't self-amalgamate, I don't know what is special about it.