Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper shielding of wire in a narrow wall cavity?

I built a closet in a room and to conserve space I made the front of the
closet out of 2X4's mounted sideways. I'd like to put a light in the
closet, but that means I'll be running a wire down to a switch in a wall
cavity that is only 1 1/2" between two sheets of drywall. Do I need to
shield the wire run down to the switch with conduit or flex conduit?

Thanks,
Craig

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4822 (20100131) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 8:15*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
I built a closet in a room and to conserve space I made the front of the
closet out of 2X4's mounted sideways. *I'd like to put a light in the
closet, but that means I'll be running a wire down to a switch in a wall
cavity that is only 1 1/2" between two sheets of drywall. * Do I need to
shield the wire run down to the switch with conduit or flex conduit?

Thanks,
Craig

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4822 (20100131) __________

http://www.eset.com

I would put the wire in a metal conduit.
A simpler solution is to get a battery powered light... that is if the
closet light is not
going to be used frequently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CraigT wrote:
I built a closet in a room and to conserve space I made the front of the
closet out of 2X4's mounted sideways. I'd like to put a light in the
closet, but that means I'll be running a wire down to a switch in a wall
cavity that is only 1 1/2" between two sheets of drywall. Do I need to
shield the wire run down to the switch with conduit or flex conduit?

Thanks,
Craig

Why not just use BX for the switch leg and then you won't worry?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message
I built a closet in a room and to conserve space I made the front of the
closet out of 2X4's mounted sideways. I'd like to put a light in the
closet, but that means I'll be running a wire down to a switch in a wall
cavity that is only 1 1/2" between two sheets of drywall. Do I need to
shield the wire run down to the switch with conduit or flex conduit?

Thanks,
Craig

signature database 4822 (20100131) __________

http://www.eset.com

I would just surface mount the wire in some wiremold , surface mount the
switchbox and light inside the closet rather than messing around in a 1 1/2
cavity...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 8:56*pm, "benick" wrote:
"CraigT" wrote in message

I built a closet in a room and to conserve space I made the front of the
closet out of 2X4's mounted sideways. *I'd like to put a light in the
closet, but that means I'll be running a wire down to a switch in a wall
cavity that is only 1 1/2" between two sheets of drywall. * Do I need to
shield the wire run down to the switch with conduit or flex conduit?

Thanks,
Craig

signature database 4822 (20100131) __________

http://www.eset.com

I would just surface mount the wire in some wiremold , surface mount the
switchbox and light inside the closet rather than messing around in a 1 1/2
cavity...- Hide quoted text -

You have to use a shallow box for the switch, run the wire according
to whatever the local code requires.