Posted to alt.home.repair
ria ria is offline

Default contractor sends a bill 7 months later

Last summer, a local roofing company, did a job for my
extended family. They proceeded on the job, after submitting a signed
contract and had appropriate city permits filed.

Half of the contract amount was paid before the start of the job and
the agreement was to pay the balance upon completion and passing
inspection.

End of July, 2009 the final payment was made and contractor sent an
invoice dated 7/31/2009 showing zero (0) balance and a large stamped
text PAID (stamped sideways) over the body of the invoice.

Now fast forward to January 27, 2010 as contractor sends a new
Certified US Mail with another invoice claiming "Serious Past Due
Account" and they show a balance of few hundred on this invoice which is
also dated 7/31/2009. This new invoice shows a new item being added to
the original invoice with the resulting new balance.

This latest invoice was never presented to the family and has never
surfaced until now, 7 months later.

(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous Zero Balance
invoice?
(2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ria wrote:

(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous
Zero Balance invoice?
(2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?

You're asking the wrong folks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Post your question on:

http://groups.google.com.ng/group/mi...derated/topics

Someone there is bound to have something to say pertinent to your
question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 8:14*pm, "ria" wrote:
[...]

What is his"new " item billed 200$ for. You know if its legit and he
did extra work, if he did pay him he is doing book keeping now since
he cant do roofing its to cold out. If its bs dont pay, if it isnt
pay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ria wrote:
[...]

(1) Any number of things. He may have had material delivered from his
supplier directly to the site and that material was overlooked in the
original invoice. Maybe his employee turned in a time card late. You should
ask him.

(2) As to why it took so long, ask him.

But your possible actions seem to be:

If the charge is legit, pay it.

If not, send a copy of the bill back with a hand-written note: "I suppose a
blow-job is out of the question?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ria" wrote in message
[...]

To timid to pick up the phone and call to find out ???Sheesh....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:14:10 +0200, "ria" wrote Re
contractor sends a bill 7 months later:

This latest invoice was never presented to the family and has never
surfaced until now, 7 months later.

(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous Zero Balance
invoice?
(2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?

Try news:misc.legal.moderated
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Over here in this part of the country we have some of those new
contraptions called telephones. If you send me the information I could call
the company and ask them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ria wrote:
[...]

You had a contract for a specfied sum. You paid it and have an statement
from the contractor acknowledging so. Did you sign a change order during
the course of the job? If so, pay it; if not, send the bill back to the
contractor along with a copy of the "PAID" statement and a note saying you
have already paid.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 5:28*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

the company and ask them.- Hide quoted text -

They just want to see if they can get out of paying because its 7
months late. They know what the legitimate bill is for

Posted to alt.home.repair

ria wrote:
[...]

The contractor apparently doesn't know the difference between an invoice
and a statement;-)

In any event, tell the responsible party to pick up the phone and call
they guy. You sound like you're cranking up for a big time legal fight
when the problem most likely can be easily resolved with the contractor
updating his records...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 9:14*pm, "ria" wrote:
(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous Zero Balance
invoice?

A legitimate charge for product or services received that was not paid
for previously.

(2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?

It's time to report to the IRS. They came up short. They discovered
that they forgot to bill you for something.

Obviously, the charge is legitimate or your post would have been
worded much differently. I would have expected something like:

"I paid the roofers back in June and now I'm getting this bill with a
bogus charge for $700 worth of masking tape and animal crackers!"

Instead, you make no mention of what the charge is for.

Admit it; it's something the roofers provided, but wasn't on the
original bill. You caught the mistake, but kept your mouth closed
figuring you'd get something for nothing.

The stand-up honest American thing to do here is PAY THE BILL.

However, I would call them and express my concern and displeasure over
the heavy-handed use of the PAST DUE stamp on the bill... how this is
the first time I've heard from them in 7 months, and how an oversight
on their part should not result in a black mark on my credit rating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 9:52*am, wrote:
On Jan 28, 9:14*pm, "ria" wrote:

[...]

I agree with everything you've said, except for the wording. How is
the use of the word "American" relevant to that statement?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 9:14*pm, "ria" wrote:
[...]

I always write paid in full on the check when I pay for a job like
this. That overrides the agreement on the contracted price. Once I
had a dispute about cost sent the guy a check and he marked out the
paid in full and cashed the check. He then took me to small claims
court for what he saw as the rest of his money. He made his claim. I
showed the judge the canceled check where he altered it and the judge
found in my favor.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ria" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have a telephone? Call them and ask THEM. You'll get the real
answer faster.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:18:45 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote Re contractor sends a bill 7 months later:

This latest invoice was never presented to the family and has never
surfaced until now, 7 months later.

(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous
Zero Balance invoice?
(2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?

You had a contract for a specfied sum. You paid it and have an statement
from the contractor acknowledging so. Did you sign a change order during
the course of the job? If so, pay it; if not, send the bill back to the
contractor along with a copy of the "PAID" statement and a note saying you
have already paid.

Good advice.

It's not advice. It is the legal answer to the question.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jan 28, 9:14 pm, "ria" wrote:
[...]

reply: How do you know all this stuff without any information? Do you have
ESP? Are you a psychic, or just psychotic?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , JIMMIE wrote:

I always write paid in full on the check when I pay for a job like
this. That overrides the agreement on the contracted price.

No, it doesn't.

Once I
had a dispute about cost sent the guy a check and he marked out the
paid in full and cashed the check. He then took me to small claims
court for what he saw as the rest of his money. He made his claim. I
showed the judge the canceled check where he altered it and the judge
found in my favor.

More likely because he altered the check... duh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Even if it was for a real charge that he forgot....you had a contract
for a certain price. You can't be charged more if you didn't agree to
it. If it were me, bas3ed on everything you stated (assuming it's
true)...I wouldn't pay.

****
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610
http://www.reviewmymusicnow.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jan 28, 8:15 pm, dpb wrote:
ria wrote:

(1) What makes the contractors new bill legitimate over the previous
Zero Balance invoice?
(2) Why did it take 7 months to present this new invoice?

You're asking the wrong folks...

--

Post your question on:

http://groups.google.com.ng/group/mi...derated/topics

Someone there is bound to have something to say pertinent to your
question.

Probably tell you to use common sense and contact the contractor telling
them you have proof of "payment in full", instead of trying to get "free"
so-called legal advice from Usenet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Sheesh, like only the contractor could mark "PAID" across an invoice.
Proof of payment is the only way to show proof of payment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03, now that you have been properly chastised, we can both do the
"American" thing and call a truce and go on to bigger and better things.

OK with you, my friend ??

James

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 11:55*am, "James" wrote:
DerbyDad03, *now that you have been properly chastised, we can both do the
"American" thing and call a truce and go on to bigger and better things.

OK *with you, my friend ??

James

That's an interesting way to word it.

Call me wrong once again and then request a truce.

OK, let's do it your way:

Even though I was *improperly* chastised, I'll grant your request for
a truce.

Moving on...