Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Staining interior door, Should the hardware be removed or just leaveit on ?

I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:06*am, sid wrote:
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

Take 'em off. The less you have to work around, the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

take everything off that you can. you'll get a better looking job that
way. (just like when you're painting a car, you take the windows out,
door handles off, etc.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Jan 24, 8:26*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 24, 9:06*am, sid wrote:

I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

Take 'em off. *The less you have to work around, the better.

Have you ever had a problem getting them back on straight? That would
be the only scary about removing them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:06�am, sid wrote:

I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

Take 'em off. �The less you have to work around, the better.

Have you ever had a problem getting them back on straight? �That would
be the only scary about removing them.

mark everything as to where it came from, like top hinge center hinge
bottom hinge. handle inside andle outside etc etc.

I thought mine would be a problem but it wasnt

Stripped a old back door, turned out great

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:06 am, sid wrote:

I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?
Thanks

Take 'em off. The less you have to work around, the better.

Have you ever had a problem getting them back on straight? That would
be the only scary about removing them.

If they're loose pin hinges, you remove the door by driving the pins
out, then remove the hinge leaves while the door is off. Installation
is the reverse, etc.

If the mortises are tight to the hinges, there should be no problem with
alignment.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

Remove everything. Doing so:

a) encourages you to work on the door FLAT (on some sawhorses). This
eliminates dripping, etc.

b) provides incentives to clean up (or replace) the hardware. I've had to
use several applications of paint remover to dislodge the crap that the
previous owner applied. After all the paint was removed, some of the hinges
looked like crap (rust, peeling brass plating, etc.), so I replaced them
with new, shiny, hardware.

Maybe it's just me, but I think painted-over hinges look horrid. And tacky.

Hinges are a commodity item. Take the old ones to the box store and I'll
wager you can find an EXACT replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
sid wrote:
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

Remove everything. Doing so:

a) encourages you to work on the door FLAT (on some sawhorses). This
eliminates dripping, etc.

b) provides incentives to clean up (or replace) the hardware. I've had to
use several applications of paint remover to dislodge the crap that the
previous owner applied. After all the paint was removed, some of the
hinges looked like crap (rust, peeling brass plating, etc.), so I replaced
them with new, shiny, hardware.

Maybe it's just me, but I think painted-over hinges look horrid. And
tacky.

Hinges are a commodity item. Take the old ones to the box store and I'll
wager you can find an EXACT replacement.

I agree unless they are antique or something very special....A newly
finished door needs new hardware to finish it off....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:06*am, sid wrote:
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

I like to remove the door, remove all hardware and set it uo n a
couple of saw horses when I paint or stain.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 8:06*am, sid wrote:
I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

If you are asking that question I would not like to see your finished
jobs

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 24, 5:13*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:06*am, sid wrote:

I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I
don't have to work around them.
Or just leave them on ?

Thanks

If you are asking that question I would not like to see your finished
jobs

I take all the hardware off, then insert two screws at the very top
and two at the very bottom (one in the center and the other near the
edge. I then lay the door on two saw horses so that the screws
support the door. I finish one side, then I can easily flip the door
to the other side. This keeps me from having to wait for one side to
dry before turning it over.

Rob