Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Free up stuck garbage disposal motor (how?)

My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now
just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and
now just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

Two ways:

1. On the bottom there should be a hex nut that, with the proper tool, can
be turned to free the machine.

2. If no nut - or you don't have the proper tool (available at the box
stores) - you can stick a broom handle in the business end and pry the
innards into rotating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now
just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

Some disposers have a wrench socket on the bottom so you can turn the
motor with a hex style (Allen) wrench.

If not, what I have done is use a broomstick or plunger handle. Stick
it down the drain and use it to break loose a jam.

Take appropriate precautions, and good luck
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reed" wrote in message
m...
LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now
just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

Some disposers have a wrench socket on the bottom so you can turn the
motor with a hex style (Allen) wrench.

If not, what I have done is use a broomstick or plunger handle. Stick it
down the drain and use it to break loose a jam.

Take appropriate precautions, and good luck

On some models, there is a 9/16" iirc nut on top of the spinner. A socket
on a long extension through the top and you can turn it in the opposite
direction. Do not know which way they made the threads on there, so be
careful and don't remove the spinner.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and
now just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

Two ways:

1. On the bottom there should be a hex nut that, with the proper tool, can
be turned to free the machine.

2. If no nut - or you don't have the proper tool (available at the box
stores) - you can stick a broom handle in the business end and pry the
innards into rotating.

Hi,
As far as I remember they come with an Allen key to manually turn the
thing and unjam. I always keep one next to it under the sink. If you
don't have original tool, find one in proper size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:08:52 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now
just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually a
bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and take
out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with tools inside.

Bones and pennies in a garbage disposal?

I'm gonna have nightmares.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and
now just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually
a bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and
take out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with
tools inside.

Bones and pennies in a garbage disposal?

I'm gonna have nightmares.

Some people learned nothing from Fargo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

LM wrote:

My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and
now just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually
a bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and
take out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with
tools inside.

Bones and pennies in a garbage disposal?

I'm gonna have nightmares.

Some people learned nothing from Fargo.

The few times it has happened to me, I unplugged the unit then reached
down with hand and got the fins inside to turn by force. Also recall
that there is a central nut (at least on some units) that you can use a
socket and extension to turn. Once it begins to turn problem was fixed

paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:56:01 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and
now just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually
a bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and
take out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with
tools inside.

Bones and pennies in a garbage disposal?

I'm gonna have nightmares.

Some people learned nothing from Fargo.

"You should see the other guy!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OR71VU010

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Oman wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:
Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

LM wrote:

[...]

I use a wooden dowel.
But I don't put bones or coins in the disposal,either.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

LM wrote:
My undersink garbage disposal motor wasn't used for a few months and now
just hums.

I reset the red button but it still just hums.

Is there a way to free it up? I seems stuck.

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually a
bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and take
out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with tools inside.

In this case it's probably rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:17:16 -0500, mm wrote:

I use a flashlight and a pair of long needle nose pliers. It's usually a
bone or penny jammed inside. You can back it up with the pliers and take
out the problem. You need a good light. Don't turn it on with tools inside.

It freed up! I followed the suggestion of using a screwdriver to spin it
from the top (through the hole for the drain in the sink). There was no nut
on the bottom but a red button I did press.

At first, it made a horrific sound when it ran with water running. Clang
clang clang. Then, after a while (maybe 1 minute), it began to hum like in
the olden days.

I think it's fixed. Thanks to you guys!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
Paul wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:

LM wrote:

[...]

Kid do though.

Put kids in the disposal? Makes perfect sense to me.

TDD