Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Props to me! Long Distance electrical/plumbing diagnosis

My sister called me the other day and said that my mom and dad were
feeling a slight tingle when they touched both the kitchen faucet and
the metal sink. (They live about 300 miles from me)

I mentioned that the only wires that should be under the sink would be
for the garbage disposal, so maybe it was related to that. She said it
happens even with the disposal off.

Since this tingling was something new, I offered this possibilty:

There was water leaking onto some electrical part of the disposal
*and* the disposal switch has been wired incorrectly for years,
switching the neutral instead of the hot. Therefore, there is always
power available at the disposal looking for a return path and the
water is now providing that path through the disposal housing to the
sink/faucet/copper plumbing and then into the user.

My sister called an electrically-talented friend who looked under the
sink, saw water dripping from the disposal and then checked the
wires. Sure enough, the neutral was being switched.

He rewired the switch and I'm driving over to replace the leaky
disposal this weekend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Great, logical, diagnosis. Congratulations.

This also illustrates why plumbing should be grounded to the electrical
system (and not the electrical system grounded to the plumbing).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:52*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

system (and not the electrical system grounded to the plumbing).- Hide quoted text -

I wonder who did the original incorrect installation. I wonder how
many more that same person wired wrongly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

many more that same person wired wrongly.- Hide quoted text -

That was my concern also. I know that Grandpa ("Don't throw that out!
I can fix it.") was a mason by trade and built the house many decades
ago, but I don't know who wired the disposal - or the house. Grandpa
is long gone.

It was originally built to be rental property, so there have been many
tenants over the years before my parents moved in. Based on the size
(and sound) of the disposal, it has been there for many, many years.

The stainless steel sink is obviously not the original but it's
possible that the disposal was dropped, the new sink installed and the
same disposal re-installed. I'd have to talk to my Dad, who may or may
not recall the exact circumstances.

I'm reluctant to point fingers at dear old Grandpa, but as builder/
owner/landlord, and knowing his penchant for a DIY lifestyle, I'd have
to say that he is the most likely candidate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You may very well have saved a life. Excellent job, sir.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 11:32*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Go ahead. Admit it. You felt like Sherlock Holmes for a minute,
didn't ya?

It would be equally a good call if you diagnosed it from a foot away
or a thousand miles, but the distance diagnosis adds to your overall
reputation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 9:11*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Actually, it was more like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Mike
Holmes.

Or maybe that should be Sherlock Ohms?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

It would be equally a good call if you diagnosed it from a foot away
or a thousand miles, but the distance diagnosis adds to your overall
reputation.

You felt like Sherlock Holmes for a minute, didn't ya?

..Actually, it was more like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Mike
Holmes.

Or maybe that should be Sherlock Ohms?

Really nice catch for the OP as I am confused by now.

and I vote for Sherlock Ohms.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 12:16 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 22, 9:11 pm, RicodJour wrote:

You felt like Sherlock Holmes for a minute, didn't ya?

Actually, it was more like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Mike
Holmes.

Or maybe that should be Sherlock Ohms?

I think you just came up with your new business' name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Just the other week my brother emailed me a pic of a 100watt bulb in
those bulb sockets with pigtail wires. He had one wire on the faucet
and the other to the stainless sink. The bulb was as bright as can be.
Of course I can't remember where the short was. They said they were
getting a little tingle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I would be very impressed if there was arcing when the water hit the
sink after the faucet was turned on. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tony wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Ahhh, that would take water from Salt Lake to carry that much current,
maybe even more minerals. This sounds like a good video for you tube
science experiments!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tony wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I think there are some burning water videos. Oh yea, the guy with the
high power RF machine that burns salt water. Search for burning salt
water on The Tube and there should be several videos.

TDD