Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air compressor ratings (not horsepower)

When a lawsuit a few years ago caused air compressor manufacturers to
quit exaggerating their horsepower ratings, did it also affect the way
they advertised CFM air flow ratings? Because my old, pre-lawsuit
120VAC oilless Campbell Hausfeld WL600602 is rated for 6.1 CFM @ 90
PSI, while the biggest oilless they currently sell is rated for just
3.8 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
When a lawsuit a few years ago caused air compressor manufacturers to
quit exaggerating their horsepower ratings, did it also affect the way
they advertised CFM air flow ratings? Because my old, pre-lawsuit
120VAC oilless Campbell Hausfeld WL600602 is rated for 6.1 CFM @ 90
PSI, while the biggest oilless they currently sell is rated for just
3.8 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Shouldn't as they're independent measurements if actually are measured;
of course, if they weren't... (Note I didn't say the hp is independent
of what the compressor is capable of only that measuring them air output
isn't the same measurement as the engine/motor hp).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
When a lawsuit a few years ago caused air compressor manufacturers to
quit exaggerating their horsepower ratings, did it also affect the way
they advertised CFM air flow ratings? Because my old, pre-lawsuit
120VAC oilless Campbell Hausfeld WL600602 is rated for 6.1 CFM @ 90
PSI, while the biggest oilless they currently sell is rated for just
3.8 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Ratings of all sorts on compressors are bafflegab in every category. Have
you ever seen a followup of these ratings by anyone who can test them and
see how close they are?

I always use the following when selecting a compressor: buy twice what you
need.

Works for me, and saves time going through all that gobbledigook.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
When a lawsuit a few years ago caused air compressor manufacturers to
quit exaggerating their horsepower ratings, did it also affect the
way they advertised CFM air flow ratings? Because my old,
pre-lawsuit 120VAC oilless Campbell Hausfeld WL600602 is rated for
6.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, while the biggest oilless they currently sell is
rated for just 3.8 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Ratings of all sorts on compressors are bafflegab in every category. Have you
ever seen a followup of these ratings by anyone who can test
them and see how close they are?

I always use the following when selecting a compressor: buy twice
what you need.

Works for me, and saves time going through all that gobbledigook.

I used what a compressor shop told me. "Anything under 5 HP is a toy" . And they
made it clear they meant real HP. My used 5 HP 2-stage compressor has been a
joy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 2:37*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

joy.- Hide quoted text -

Usually anything direct drive is junk. My craftsman belt drive is 35
years old and still going strong. Motor has been replaced once and the
valves have been overhauled a couple of times.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Which brings me back to my point. A bigger one won't have to run as hard,
and you won't run out as often. Except for those obnoxiously noisy airless
bombs!

2 stage 5 hp is a great size for anything. Hook up a volume tank, and you
can do just about ANYTHING.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:16:01 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
When a lawsuit a few years ago caused air compressor manufacturers to
quit exaggerating their horsepower ratings, did it also affect the way
they advertised CFM air flow ratings? Because my old, pre-lawsuit
120VAC oilless Campbell Hausfeld WL600602 is rated for 6.1 CFM @ 90
PSI, while the biggest oilless they currently sell is rated for just
3.8 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Ratings of all sorts on compressors are bafflegab in every category. Have
you ever seen a followup of these ratings by anyone who can test them and
see how close they are?

I always use the following when selecting a compressor: buy twice what you
need.

Works for me, and saves time going through all that gobbledigook.

Second that-
And don't forget that *what you need* is twice the CFM that the tool
says it uses.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

When a lawsuit a few years ago caused air compressor manufacturers to
quit exaggerating their horsepower ratings, did it also affect the way
they advertised CFM air flow ratings? Because my old, pre-lawsuit
120VAC oilless Campbell Hausfeld WL600602 is rated for 6.1 CFM @ 90
PSI, while the biggest oilless they currently sell is rated for just
3.8 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Shouldn't as they're independent measurements if actually are measured;
of course, if they weren't... (Note I didn't say the hp is independent
of what the compressor is capable of only that measuring them air output
isn't the same measurement as the engine/motor hp).

That's what I thought, so this really puzzles me. But back when all
companies were grossly inflating their HP ratings, the HP ratings kept
going up even when the CFM ratings stayed the same or even dropped.
For example, a "5.0" HP Campbell Hausfeld was rated for about 1.5 CFM
@ 90 PSI less than my slightly older "3.5" HP model. Both of these
were oilless, single-stage, and made for 120VAC, 15A. Inconsistent
fraud?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I always use the following when selecting a compressor: buy twice
what you need.

Works for me, and saves time going through all that gobbledigook.

I used what a compressor shop told me. "Anything under 5 HP is a toy" . And they
made it clear they meant real HP. My used 5 HP 2-stage compressor has been a
joy.

But some of us can't shell out that much money.

My father still uses the 1 HP belt drive "Sears Best" Craftsman he
bought about 30 years, and I think its CFM ratings are the same as my
Campbell-Hausfeld "3.5" HP oilless compressor's which, strangely, are
higher than the CFMs of a "5.0" HP C-H made a couple of years later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Bob F wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I always use the following when selecting a compressor: buy twice
what you need.

Works for me, and saves time going through all that gobbledigook.

I used what a compressor shop told me. "Anything under 5 HP is a
toy" . And they made it clear they meant real HP. My used 5 HP
2-stage compressor has been a joy.

But some of us can't shell out that much money.

My father still uses the 1 HP belt drive "Sears Best" Craftsman he
bought about 30 years, and I think its CFM ratings are the same as my
Campbell-Hausfeld "3.5" HP oilless compressor's which, strangely, are
higher than the CFMs of a "5.0" HP C-H made a couple of years later.

My father still uses the "5 HP" Craftsman compressor I handed down to him when I
got my good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

And I have a 90 gallon used tank (OK'ed by the local "boiler and pressure vessel
inspector) sitting here ready to add to it, as soon as I can figure out a good
spot for it.