Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can neutral service wire be insulated?

Two questions.

Can the neutral wire coming from the meter pan to the main panel be
insulated?
I just bought enough 2/0 THHN to run the two mains and the neutral.

What is the minimum size sch 40 pvc conduit required for 3 2/0 THHN
wires?
If it matters the conduit run will be less than 5'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Limp Arbor wrote:
Two questions.

Can the neutral wire coming from the meter pan to the main panel be
insulated?

Of course. Mark it with white tape or paint at the ends, so you know which one
is the neutral.

I just bought enough 2/0 THHN to run the two mains and the neutral.

What is the minimum size sch 40 pvc conduit required for 3 2/0 THHN
wires?

For 3 wires, maximum conductor fill is 40% of the conduit cross-section. Per
2008 NEC, Chapter 9, Table 5, the cross-sectional area of one 2/0 THHN is
0.2223 sq in, so three of them is 0.6669 sq in. Your conduit needs to be at
least 2.5 times that area, or = 1.667 sq in. Per Chapter 9, Table 4, the
smallest Sch.40 PVC conduit that is large enough is 1-1/2".

If you have even one bend to go around, you will find the conductors *much*
easier to pull if you use 2" conduit.

If it matters the conduit run will be less than 5'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 11:09*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Limp Arbor wrote:

[...]

If it matters the conduit run will be less than 5'.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Doug.

I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge. Not a problem
outside but fitting a 2" LB inside between the joists to make the turn
down to my main panel is going to be really tight. To make it even
more difficult several of the branch circuit wires run straight up
above where the panel is going.

I'll probably go with the 1 1/2" only do give myself a little more
room around the conduit. The run is pretty short: 2' from the meter
pan- 90deg turn into house- almost an immediate 90 again to go down to
the panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Limp Arbor wrote:

Thanks Doug.

I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge. Not a problem
outside but fitting a 2" LB inside between the joists to make the turn
down to my main panel is going to be really tight. To make it even
more difficult several of the branch circuit wires run straight up
above where the panel is going.

I'll probably go with the 1 1/2" only do give myself a little more
room around the conduit. The run is pretty short: 2' from the meter
pan- 90deg turn into house- almost an immediate 90 again to go down to
the panel.

Don't say I didn't warn you. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Limp Arbor wrote:

[...]

the panel.- Hide quoted text -

It'll be a bitch in 1 1/2. If it's a one time deal lay out your wire
and put each piece of conduit on it one at a time. In other words put
the conduit on the wire instead of pulling the wire through the
conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:

I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge.

A few months ago I got a "small" 2" LB at Lowes. It was right next to
the normal giant ones. My brother the electrician was half joking half
serious mumbling under his breath asking himself why he even showed me
the small ones and let me choose. I can only imagine how difficult a
1.5" will be. And I also was wondering if in most applications the
neutral would normally be a size smaller? If things are tight, can you
strip the insulation off of the neutral to make things just a tiny bit
easier?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 11:53*am, Tony wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:

I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge.

A few months ago I got a "small" 2" LB at Lowes. *It was right next to
the normal giant ones. *My brother the electrician was half joking half
serious mumbling under his breath asking himself why he even showed me
the small ones and let me choose. *I can only imagine how difficult a
1.5" will be. *And I also was wondering if in most applications the
neutral would normally be a size smaller? *If things are tight, can you
strip the insulation off of the neutral to make things just a tiny bit
easier?

I'm convinced. I'll go with the giant 2" LB only because using a DWV
sch40 long sweep painted grey might make the inspector frown.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Limp Arbor wrote:

I'm convinced. I'll go with the giant 2" LB only because using a DWV
sch40 long sweep painted grey might make the inspector frown.

Again, look at access fittings; they're 90-degree w/ access for the pull
to make it straight shot as well as take up less room in tight locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arbor wrote:

[...]

All the more reason to use 2". Three 90 degree bends in 2/0 are going to be
hell in 1 1/2"

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

This may work
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYE8

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 21, 1:53 pm, dpb wrote:

Again, look at access fittings; they're 90-degree w/ access for the pull
to make it straight shot as well as take up less room in tight locations.

This may work
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYE8

If you're short on room I'm talking about these --

http://www.qcsupply.com/qcsupply/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=61078&catego ryId=11735&fromPage=subcategory

This was first one loaded; it's 1-1/4" but they're made 2" and larger.
As well as this configuration there are others that change orientation
of the short side to handle whichever direction the bend needs to go...

I was pretty sure I'd seen conventional pull-elbows at least 1-1/4" and
surprised if they're not available even larger as well but perhaps not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two questions.

Can the neutral wire coming from the meter pan to the main panel be
insulated?
I just bought enough 2/0 THHN to run the two mains and the neutral.

What is the minimum size sch 40 pvc conduit required for 3 2/0 THHN
wires?
If it matters the conduit run will be less than 5'.

*Is there any particular reason why you can't use service entrance cable for
this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Couldn't you also use 2" Greenfield, or Sealtite for this. You might
have a time finding that size sold by the foot, but you can check
around. I have never had occasion to buy any. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 21, 1:53 pm, dpb wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:

I'm convinced. I'll go with the giant 2" LB only because using a DWV
sch40 long sweep painted grey might make the inspector frown.

Again, look at access fittings; they're 90-degree w/ access for the pull
to make it straight shot as well as take up less room in tight locations.

--

This may work
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYE8

If the panel is on a basement wall you may have enough wall width to use
a sweep (your Grainger item). It would be MUCH easier. Carefully plan.
You may be able to shorten the sweep. If you cut one side back you may
get to where the PVC is not round anymore.

Back-to-back LBs, with the back of one LB running into the back of the
other LB, are a GIANT pain to get the wires into. Maybe a BFH and one of
them alleged dynamite torpedos.

For one LB and your short dimensions you can put a 90 degree bend in a
wire and push the wire in both ways at once. Do one wire, then the
second, then the third.

LB ("conduit body") size is regulated by the NEC in 314.16 and 314.28.
They are large because they need to be to get the wires into them.
Restrictions kick in when wires are #4 or larger.

--
bud--