Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you have to know the exact lavatory fixture you will be using before you rough in?

I am going to rough in a lavatory sink. I know it needs to be 32" wide and
I set the PVC drain stub out right in the middle and about 17" above the
floor slab.

Now I want to rough in the water supply lines hot and cold. Is it true that
different types of sink may require different spacing and heights of the
water supplies and I can't do the rough in until this is finalized?

Is it typically to rough in the water supplies above or below the stubout?

I will not be using a cabinet, so the plumbing will be exposed, probably it
will be a vessel sink. Is there a standard on where I can set the supplies?

I am thinking I will set the hot supply 3" to the left of the drain, and the
cold 3" to the right, and 1" above the drain. But I have not yet decided on
the lav sink...actually, my wife has not decided, and even when she does,
she may change her mind, and so I am preparing for the possible change, and
how I can rough things in knowing things are not 100% set in stone.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't a vessel sink one that needs mounted in a cabinet or at least on a
counter mounted to the wall? You should be able to go to a
manufacturer's site such as Kohler's and check out their rough-in specs for
a few sinks to see if you are close. I looked at a couple, you have to
drill on to get to where you can see the rough in specs. For example:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1093685_1.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

The rough in you suggested will work. Typical would be to have
the waste 18 above floor with the water supplies 1 or 2" above the
waste and about 2" to each side of the waste. Longer supply lines
and longer tail pieces can make almost anything work. Cut the
pipe holes fairly close in the drywall and make sure you use
escutcheons to keep the inspector happy. Quarter turn angle stops
would be typical, make sure you know what kind of supply lines you
will be using.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Since sink depths may vary you might want to err on the side of caution and
have the drain rough in as low as practical. The water lines don't matter
as much as you can always fudge a bit with longer supply lines.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:35:26 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

I think it depends. I was installing a deep double laundry sink. My
sink has a pull-out faucet so I made sure the supply line would not
interfere with the pull-out line. Your thinking about 3" to
left/right and of and above the drain is about right. Shoot for a
mid-length supply lines, maybe 12", then you can buy shorter/longer
when the sink is installed. If appearance is important wait for the
sink to arrive before you stub out. Positioning the angle stops
(before they are soldered in place) will help you obtain a smooth
transition with the selected supply hose. With the shut-off valves
at least partly hidden, all the better. Don't make the classic
plumbing mistake by putting HOT on the right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

A vessel sink will be sitting on a counter top or a cabinet, the bottom can
still be exposed depending if it looks like a table or a closed cabinet.
Some vessel sinks sits on top of the counter, some sit's half way down with
the lower half below the counter top. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

This is what I am thinking so I roughed in the drain at 17.5". Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I am going to use compression stop valve instead of soldered or
threaded. I will have 1/2" copper pipes still out.