Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best vacuum cleaner (one that doesnt have plastic agitator housing)?Dc17 dyson worth it?

I bought a Hoover U5140-900 back in march of 2008, just the other day,
it became the third vac in about 5 years to die, because as the belt
broke the agitator flopped around too much, eating away at the plastic
notch that keeps it in place (so any new belts you put on quickly
become scrap)... This was a bag type..

I had a bissel vac at one point, bagless type (cleanview).. it
suffered the same fate, and the canister was always a mess trying to
empty... I also had a Hoover TurboPower Foldaway Upright (3100
widepath bagless); u5178-900, which was similar...

A friend has said to go for a dc17 dyson sweeper.. but brand new at
Target (or online), they are $349 min. Refurbished, there is one out
there for $198.. its bagless, does well with pet hair, but i'm not
sure if it even has a hose attachment.. i'm assuming the housing isnt
plastic, so maybe it would in fact last longer..

I could just go buy another hoover, for $74 shipped.. and hope to get
1.5 more years out of it.

In 6 years, i've spend $250 in sweepers.. maybe not that bad...

So, is the dc17 sweeper worth it? Are there cheaper alternatives that
dont have plastic where the agitator lives?

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much

Posted to alt.home.repair

"markm75" wrote in message
[...]

The Mar 08 CR rated the $60 hoover tempo widepath above the $550 Dyson dc17
But, they picked the kenmore progressive at $300 as #1. Of their 9 Quick
Picks, 4 were hoover, 3 kenmore, 1 electrolux, 1 Riccar.

Funny, the cheaper hoovers seemed to rank higher than the more expensive
hoovers....

In general, Consumer Reports seems to rate Hoover quite a bit better than
Dyson or Oreck.
Compound that with bang fer yer buck, and Dyson et al don't even come close.

In general, infomercial stuff is very very very high priced stuff for what
you get, and often just outight crap. Parts are very very expensive,
service lousy, really the whole basis for their business is about on par
with Extenze, Enzyte, and all the other scams.
--
EA

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:11*pm, markm75 wrote:
[...]

My cheap vacs last 15 years? even with pets, since you are hard on
them get one of those extra warrantys that gives you a free
replacement rather than fix it, or maintain it like you should. How
can a belt ruin a housing and you not notice noise or no performance,
do you change your car oil when its needed or by the manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2010 1:11 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"markm75" wrote in message
[...]

you get, and often just outright crap. Parts are very very expensive,
service lousy, really the whole basis for their business is about on par
with Extenze, Enzyte, and all the other scams.

Our experiences are different. After always using cheap vacuum cleaners
recommended by Consumer Reports, we bought a Dyson DC25. It is without a doubt
the best vacuum cleaner we have ever used. If you want to test for yourself, buy
one of each from a store with a return policy. Vacuum with the cheap one, then
vacuum with the Dyson.

We bought ours from Best Buy during December when it was $100 off. One of the
things that impressed us was the almost universally positive customer reviews on
http://www.bestbuy.com. While those reviews can be pumped by Dyson or BB, our
experience has been that the reviews are exactly correct.

If the Hoover above worked as well as the Dyson, I think I'd still pay the
difference to get the bagless, easy-to-empty system that Dyson uses. This thing
makes vacuuming easy. The "ball" design is fantastic, as well. It only takes a
few minutes to get used to.

Consumer Reports is a good resource, but I find customer reviews to be more
helpful. It's best to read both before making a decision.
Posted to alt.home.repair

markm75 wrote:
[...]

My pick would be to get a used Filter Queen if you can find one (they
show up on eBay occasionally.) Basically it's a well built Shop Vac
type thing with superior filtration. I wouldn't pay list price for one
though, it's a rip off, and their distribution is a borderline Amway
MLM-type thing. I have one and love it. The power head for carpet is a
little cheezy but the rest of it will probably last forever.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"markm75" wrote in message
[...]

Well, $550/$60 is almost a factor of 10, so one would expect the Dyson to
vacuum 10x better than the Hoover, and/or last 10x longer.
Or, sing and dance....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 10:23*am, mcp6453 wrote:

Consumer Reports is a good resource, but I find customer reviews to be more
helpful. It's best to read both before making a decision.

The Consumer Research web site is a good review consolidator site and
makes it easy to compare reviews and opinions from a number of sites.
http://www.consumersearch.com/vacuum-cleaners

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 11:11*pm, markm75 wrote:
[...]

I run a janitorial service. What we have been using the past decade
are the Panasonic Commercial vacs with the 14" wide beater bar.

http://www.abcvacuumwarehouse.com/va....asp?DBID=1457

Another vac that has been a favorite of Janitorial service for decades
are the old standard Eureka uprights with the 12" beater bar. They
come with a shake out bag or a dust cup.

http://www.statevacuum.com/eureka_sc887_com.asp

I usually spend about $300 or less each for vacuums. Commercial vacs
are built to withstand daily use over several years. And sometimes my
cleaners bang the vacs around quite a bit. But you have to find a
janitorial supply store to find those or order off the internet.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 3:02*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

Never tried a Dyson. When my 20+ year old Electrolux died of motor
failure a couple of years ago, I picked up 2 Tristars on Ebay on the
cheap, (one for upstairs) and they work quite a bit better than my old
one did. they seem like they are built for the long haul & I expect to
get 20+ years out of them. I may throw a motor at the Electrolux just
for grins & have a nice second backup. I don't care for uprights, so
they aren't even in my search. I do have an ancient Kirby upright that
I keep just because it has some neat attachments that help with the
carpet cleaner.

Personally, Hoover will never sell me another vacuum. The first one
to let me down was the ~$400 self-propelled Wind Tunnel, best vac I
ever owned, for about a year. When it broke down, they wanted almost
as much to fix it as a new one would cost. Got a small Hoover
canister, advertised as "everything a vacuum should be." It's nothing
a vacuum should be. It's weak, loud, falls apart regularly, does a
poor job, got a bag the size of a sandwich bag. Third one (slow
learner, I know), bought in desperation at a Black Friday sale, is an
upright bagless that gets up about a tenth of the dirt and dog hair
and burns through belts about every third time I vacuum. If looking
at vacs on Consumer Reports, my best advice would be look at the
reliability records before you spend any serious money.

I've never had a Dyson, but I have numerous acquaintances who do, and
they all love them. Granted, you've got a big stake in liking a vac
that you dropped $500 on, but really, they all rave about and
recommend them.

Jo Ann
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:11:53 -0800 (PST), markm75
wrote:

[...]

Hmm, my recommendation would have been a self-propelled Hoover. I've
had two and both have been very durable. The first was only replaced
because the other half wanted a new one, nothing wrong with the old
one and it's parked. It's over 20 years old and the new one is now
about 8 years old. I did have to replace a lever in it because I
failed to follow the instructions and picked it up by the upper handle
one time too many and broke the little arm.

I've very skeptical of any of the bag less designs, there is no way
they can not be spewing out very fine dust particles without a bag
there to trap them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I usually by rebuilt vacuums at places like Big Lots. Cost is about a
1/3 or 1/4 what you normally find them. I buy "factory rebuilt" on a
lot of items and have had no problems. I started doing it when my now
father in law told me that rebuilt items were better than the original
factory runs. That was the way he bought his power tools.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll make this short....about 35 years ago we purchased a Kirby, yes it was
expensive at the time I think it was around $800. We used it for years an
had good service...Had a few problems with it 2 years ago...Contacted Kirby,
the said to ship it back with $150.00..It came back like a brand new and
better running cleaner, everything was replaced other than the handle and
base..I was happy because where could I have purchased a vacuum cleaner of
that quality for that price anywhere..I believe they are going for about
$1800.00 now
"markm75" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I liked my self-propelled Hoover so much I talked a friend into
getting one like it when she was shopping. Hers broke even before
mine did. I felt bad that she'd bought it on my recommendation, but
we both sort of felt as if the score was evened when mine bit the dust
not long after. I'm glad you've had better experience with them, but
I think they've lost me for good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We don't have a Big Lots or other places to shop refurbs near here.
Can you recommend any good online sites to buy refurbished vacuums?
I'm actually in the market for one right now. I need a canister model
(multiple floor surfaces, stairs).

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2010 4:54 PM, Jo Ann wrote:
[...]

After I posted previously in this thread, I went back through my Amazon orders
and realized that I previously purchased the Hoover U5140-900, based on
recommendations from Consumer Reports and from here. The belt has burned up on
it twice, and my daughter just threw it in the dumpster. I don't share the
enthusiasm for it that Consumer Reports does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 10:54*am, "jimmy" wrote:
I'll make this short....about 35 years ago we purchased a Kirby, yes it was
expensive at the time I think it was around $800. We used it for years an
had good service...Had a few problems with it 2 years ago...Contacted Kirby,
the said to ship it back with $150.00..It came back like a brand new and
better running cleaner, everything was replaced other than the handle and
base..I was happy because where could I have purchased a vacuum cleaner of
that quality for that price anywhere..I believe they are going for about
$1800.00 now"markm75" wrote in message

My mother-in-law used to buy the Kirby's all the time so I got to try
out those on more than a few occasions. I absolutely hate those
things. They are awful. You could buy a cheap Hoover or Dirt Devil or
Eureka or whatever every year for eight years and clean your house
better than spending Eight Hundred bucks on a Kirby.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like old Kirbys, I have one in my garage to clean the carpet in the
loft. Problem with the new ones is they are too complicated and heavy,
self propelled, etc.

Kirbys never had the best filtration though, they were always bag-type
and really old ones just used a cloth bag with no paper inner bag.

nate

"markm75" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a Dyson and loved it. I had the pet model and it really picked up
and was easy to use. Then I had the knock at the door and a Kirby
salesman showed up - the Kirby is better. Once you purchase one you
won't have to buy a new vacuum, because you can get the motor redone at
a much lower cost. The vacuum on it is much more than anything else.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:13:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 16 Jan 2010 09:11:53p, markm75 told us...

[...]

If you want a good vacuum that lasts, plastic in any form is *not* the way
to go. Kirby, Filter Queen, Rainbow, Electrolux, etc., are extremely well
constructed and do a good job. They are all also expensive, but cost per
year will probably be ultimately cheaper than buying a series of plastic
crap. I know of several Kirbys that are still in regular use after 40-50
years.

Having said that, a good friend bought a Dyson "ball" vacuum designed for
good pet hair removal. She swears by it and can't believe how much pet
hair along with other soil it removes. Even though much of it *is*
plastic, when I looked it over the construction seemed solid.

FWIW

When I was shopping for a vacuum, I went to a vacuum repair shop and
asked the repairguy what brands are the most/lest problematic. He
said he gets a LOT of Hoover vacuums, poorly made, top seller. I got
a Panasonic per his recommendation and it is still going strong after
20 years and one belt replacement. It vacuums a 2700 square foot
carpeted house, including the staircase, twice a week. The agitator
housing is plastic, built like a tank. The vintage vacuums had metal
housings, but no more unless you got lots of $$$. Plastics are light
weight and sometimes that's a good thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 1:11*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"markm75" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks very much- Hide quoted text -

"the whole basis for their business is about on par with Extenze,
Enzyte, and all the other scams"

May I suggest that we don't use the terms "Extenze", "Enzyte" and
"vacuum cleaners" in the same thread?