Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My Happiest day cleaning a sewer line

I lived in the house about 9 years and the washer drain began overflowing.
When the washer emptied the kitchen sinks would fill with water.
I used drain cleaner a few times and it helped the problem, but it kept
recuring. So I finally decided I would find the sewer line, dig it up and
install a cleanout. This would allow me to snake out the pipe.
I figured it would be a weekend job, digging a hole around the pipe
big enough to cut and install the cleanout.
I used a 1/4" rod and probed the yard until I found the sewer pipe.
Had the pipe pretty well marked out and was ready to dig.
I took out the sod and 2 shovels of dirt before I hit the----
CLEANOUT.
That was 6 years ago, I'm still beaming about it.
Mike :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:02:25 -0600, "Mike" wrote:

I lived in the house about 9 years and the washer drain began overflowing.
When the washer emptied the kitchen sinks would fill with water.
I used drain cleaner a few times and it helped the problem, but it kept
recuring. So I finally decided I would find the sewer line, dig it up and
install a cleanout. This would allow me to snake out the pipe.
I figured it would be a weekend job, digging a hole around the pipe
big enough to cut and install the cleanout.
I used a 1/4" rod and probed the yard until I found the sewer pipe.
Had the pipe pretty well marked out and was ready to dig.
I took out the sod and 2 shovels of dirt before I hit the----
CLEANOUT.
That was 6 years ago, I'm still beaming about it.
Mike :-)

Ah, you were definitely smiled upon by the home improvement gods that
day! But be careful, because they are a foul and crabby lot and they
will place a water pipe behind ever hole you drill from now on if you
displease them in any way!

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2010 16:02, Mike wrote:
I lived in the house about 9 years and the washer drain began overflowing.
When the washer emptied the kitchen sinks would fill with water.
I used drain cleaner a few times and it helped the problem, but it kept
recuring. So I finally decided I would find the sewer line, dig it up and
install a cleanout. This would allow me to snake out the pipe.
I figured it would be a weekend job, digging a hole around the pipe
big enough to cut and install the cleanout.
I used a 1/4" rod and probed the yard until I found the sewer pipe.
Had the pipe pretty well marked out and was ready to dig.
I took out the sod and 2 shovels of dirt before I hit the----
CLEANOUT.

Congratulations on finding the cleanout. That will save you labor
expenses when your main sewer line needs service. But with the trouble
you described (water backing up in the kitchen sink) if the stoppage was
was beyond that cleanout point and that drain line served lower fixtures
such as a bathroom on the same or lower level, you would have water
backing up there. Chances are the clog is occurring at the point where
the 2-inch kitchen and laundry lines drain into the bigger main line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 1/16/2010 16:02, Mike wrote:
[...]

I don't think he's worrying about it anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

my happiest day?? discovering that rocksalt kills tree roots

The entire line was inspected by camera, terracotta pipe with tree
roots everywhere. This was over 10 years ago.

Copper sulphate was expensive as root killer.

Hey how about ROCK SALT?

nearly dirt cheap it kllls roots leaves trees unharmed is eay to do
and near FREE.

i came up with idea since salt kills grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 1/16/2010 16:02, Mike wrote:
[...]

I was shopping for a new washer several years ago and found one with an
"automatic" lint filter. I asked what that was and how to clean it.
The sales person told me that the filter cleans itself and flushes into
the drain line. I could never figure out the expected benefit, but
could think of a few problems it might cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Bob wrote:
On 1/16/2010 16:02, Mike wrote:
[...]

Kind-of defeats the whole purpose of a lint filter, you think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:13:27 -0800, "Bob F"

Bob wrote:
On 1/16/2010 16:02, Mike wrote:
[...]

I thought that too at first, but then it occurred to me that the lint
filter's main purpose is to remove the lint from the water so it
doesn't settle back on the clothes as little wads of, well, lint.

So having it automatically flush it down the drain saves you having to
clean the filter, and probably doesn't hurt anything unless you have a
septic system, in which case it would be a real bad idea.

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 1/16/2010 16:02, Mike wrote:
[...]

I'd much rather have what little lint there is come off in the washer or
dryer than be flushed into plumbing to clog up a drain )

I can always spot the features designed by new engineers on their first
day at work....like the "temp control" on my d--- Kenmore washer. Our
hot water is termed that only because it comes from the faucet with an
"H" on it....only a tiny bit too warm to shower with only h. If I set
the temp control on the washer to "hot" (that's what the dial says), it
squirts off and on constantly while filling to start/stop cold water.
Drives me nuts, but rarely use "h" for laundry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 8:54*pm, " wrote:
my happiest day?? discovering that rocksalt kills tree roots

The entire line was inspected by camera, terracotta pipe with tree
roots everywhere. This was over 10 years ago.

Copper sulphate was expensive as root killer.

Hey how about ROCK SALT?

nearly dirt cheap it kllls roots leaves trees unharmed is eay to do
and near FREE.

i came up with idea since salt kills grass.

Someone gave me this tip after my lines clogged about 6 times in 2
years. Color me skeptical. Then I tried it, and have had no clogs
for the past year. And my house is +100 years old, God only knows
what the sewer lines look like.

Which brings me to my actual contribution to this discussion. I had
no cleanout for my lines. Sewer snakers beefed every time they came
out. I mentioned it to my pal from DPW (if you own an old home, get a
pal in DPW, by the way), he came over a couple days later with old,
old, OLD hand-drawn maps of my lot and found THREE cleanouts in about
10 minutes. One had been covered by the deck, two were covered by
flower beds, about 3 feet down. A friend helped me dig down to one of
them and we installed an extension last summer, so now I have a
cleanout. Just in case I forget to buy salt

So, ask around before you dig, if you don't have the OP's luck, and it
might make the job a lot easier.

Jo Ann
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 5:09�pm, Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:54�pm, " wrote:

[...]

my terracota lines had roots at every joint but one.

when they did the camera thing there was a Y that me and the plumber
had no idea where it came from, it was packed full of roots coming out
from it.

then by accident I overheard a conversation between the president of
the sewer company trying to get fed funds to upgrade the sewer plant
when it rains.

He reported that all the brown and vaughns homes built it the early
50s had a gravel bed with a sewer line connecting to it, so there
would be not wet basement troubles. this would never pass building
inspection rules today. and leads to flooded sewer plant. which
ultimately was tripled in size tpo prevent raw seweage discharge.

the rock salt works great
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
I lived in the house about 9 years and the washer drain began overflowing.
When the washer emptied the kitchen sinks would fill with water.
I used drain cleaner a few times and it helped the problem, but it kept
recuring. So I finally decided I would find the sewer line, dig it up and
install a cleanout. This would allow me to snake out the pipe.
I figured it would be a weekend job, digging a hole around the pipe
big enough to cut and install the cleanout.
I used a 1/4" rod and probed the yard until I found the sewer pipe.
Had the pipe pretty well marked out and was ready to dig.
I took out the sod and 2 shovels of dirt before I hit the----
CLEANOUT.
That was 6 years ago, I'm still beaming about it.
Mike :-)

I'd still be smiling too!

Roots In Sewer Line diablo[_3_] Home Repair 1 July 18th 09 08:03 PM
Clog in main sewer line or drain lines running to main line. CJ Home Repair 1 May 30th 07 09:56 PM
Sewer Line Problems DHD Home Repair 9 March 8th 07 02:10 AM
Sewer line angles Eigenvector Home Repair 11 January 17th 07 02:44 AM
Roots in sewer line? Walt Home Repair 12 April 22nd 06 08:54 PM