Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall Mount Hair Dryer

I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

http://tinyurl.com/yjqw39s

Is anyone aware of a hard wire version?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2010 10:37 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

http://tinyurl.com/yjqw39s

Is anyone aware of a hard wire version?

Okay, Andis has a direct wire version. The problem is that the pictures of the
units are inconsistent. For example, the link below shows a direct wire 33490
HD-2 hard dryer, but it has an AC cord on it:

http://www.andis.com/USA/productsPopUp.asp?ID=33490

This web site lists the same unit, but the picture does NOT show the cord. If
you search for the 33490, it is listed lots of times as a direct wire, but it
shows the picture with the cord.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hairdryers.html

On further examination, it appears that the pictures are wrong. The data sheet
for the HD-2 indicates that it is available in a wired and in a direct wire version.

http://www.andis.com/USA/PDF/CatSheets/Cat_33490.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

Sure. I've used Andis wall mount dryers for years. Go to www.andis.com, click on
USA, then the Hotel tab, then look at Hairdryers.

The more secure models use a metal mounting plate instead of drywall mounts. If
you want to keep people from unplugging it, use a recessed (clock style) hidden
power box wired to a nearby outlet, or cut the plug off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 9:37*am, mcp6453 wrote:
I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

http://tinyurl.com/yjqw39s

Is anyone aware of a hard wire version?

Or just recess the whole box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

Sure. I've used Andis wall mount dryers for years. Go to www.andis.com, click on
USA, then the Hotel tab, then look at Hairdryers.

The more secure models use a metal mounting plate instead of drywall mounts. If
you want to keep people from unplugging it, use a recessed (clock style) hidden
power box wired to a nearby outlet, or cut the plug off.

Isn't the GFCI etc. usually integrated into the plug?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2010 12:01 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

Sure. I've used Andis wall mount dryers for years. Go to www.andis.com, click on
USA, then the Hotel tab, then look at Hairdryers.

The more secure models use a metal mounting plate instead of drywall mounts. If
you want to keep people from unplugging it, use a recessed (clock style) hidden
power box wired to a nearby outlet, or cut the plug off.

You raise an interesting point. If I cut off the plug of a plug-in unit (not a
direct wire), isn't it a code violation to wire that line cord to an outlet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Isn't the GFCI etc. usually integrated into the plug?

On the consumer models, not necessarily on the hotel versions.

The GFCI on the hairdryer plug ****es the crap out of me. All modern, code
compliant housing built in the past 30 years has GFCI protected outlets in every
bath and kitchen. That makes a GFCI plug totally wasted.

About 10-15 years ago, the manufacturers started getting worried about trial
lawyers going after them, so they "voluntarily" agreed to put GFCI plugs on all
appliances that could be used in a bathroom.

Basicially a $1 - $2 tax per unit to cover the few people living in substandard
housing dumb enough to stand in the shower while drying their hair. Millions of
dollars wasted annually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

You raise an interesting point. If I cut off the plug of a plug-in unit (not a
direct wire), isn't it a code violation to wire that line cord to an outlet?

Probably. Appliance cord is not approved for running behind walls. Might be OK
if you drilled/routed directly into the box, but then you have the issue of not
being able to disconnect the applicance in case of malfunction/overload.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
They are pretty loud when running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
Nate wrote:

Isn't the GFCI etc. usually integrated into the plug?

On the consumer models, not necessarily on the hotel versions.

The GFCI on the hairdryer plug ****es the crap out of me. All modern, code
compliant housing built in the past 30 years has GFCI protected outlets in every
bath and kitchen. That makes a GFCI plug totally wasted.

About 10-15 years ago, the manufacturers started getting worried about trial
lawyers going after them, so they "voluntarily" agreed to put GFCI plugs on all
appliances that could be used in a bathroom.

Basicially a $1 - $2 tax per unit to cover the few people living in substandard
housing dumb enough to stand in the shower while drying their hair. Millions of
dollars wasted annually.

Hmmm,
Did you not know that there are more dummies than smarties in this
world, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Isn't the GFCI etc. usually integrated into the plug?

On the consumer models, not necessarily on the hotel versions.

The GFCI on the hairdryer plug ****es the crap out of me. All modern, code
compliant housing built in the past 30 years has GFCI protected outlets in every
bath and kitchen. That makes a GFCI plug totally wasted.

About 10-15 years ago, the manufacturers started getting worried about trial
lawyers going after them, so they "voluntarily" agreed to put GFCI plugs on all
appliances that could be used in a bathroom.

Basicially a $1 - $2 tax per unit to cover the few people living in substandard
housing dumb enough to stand in the shower while drying their hair. Millions of
dollars wasted annually.

heh, guess my house is substandard then. There's lots of people with
30 year old houses.

I agree with you it being unnecessary with a GFCI outlet, but I was
just pointing it out in case the OP hadn't thought of it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought an assortment of plumbing wrenches from that
plumbing supply. The picture very clearly showed about six
or seven items. I got ONE wrench, which was not what I paid
for. We went around and round, and finally I went to the
credit card company, and eventually got a refund.

Their picture on the web page (same item) still shows the
same six or seven tool, though they only ship one.

Beware.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mcp6453" wrote in message

This web site lists the same unit, but the picture does NOT
show the cord. If
you search for the 33490, it is listed lots of times as a
direct wire, but it
shows the picture with the cord.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hairdryers.html

On further examination, it appears that the pictures are
wrong. The data sheet
for the HD-2 indicates that it is available in a wired and
in a direct wire version.

http://www.andis.com/USA/PDF/CatSheets/Cat_33490.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:43*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Robert Neville wrote:
Nate *wrote:

[...]

Maybe hair dryer plug end GFI's are part of the "problem"?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:37:39 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

http://tinyurl.com/yjqw39s

Is anyone aware of a hard wire version?

Hair dryers might last 2 or 20 years. I was wondering about the
replacement of a hard-wired version, not too practical.

Install a new outlet exactly where you want your hairdryer, perhaps a
recessed outlet where you can hide the coiled cord. Check NEC, local
codes, about the new location. Some hair dryers really pull the power
so check your circuit breaker capacity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
I want to add a wall mount hair dryer in one of my bathrooms. This unit at
Amazon is one that I would like to have, but I'm wondering if it is possible to
find one that hard wires rather than plugs into an outlet, using up an outlet.

http://tinyurl.com/yjqw39s

Is anyone aware of a hard wire version?

It says 1600 watts. I thought 1500 watts was the limit on... appliances
like this?