Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing Lock

The door latch/lock broke off on the screen door of the pool
enclosure. I got a new one - almost exactly like the old one.
Instructions said to assemble outside portion of latch with thumb
button, spindle and spring as shown in the picture and position in
holes on outside of door. With thumb button NOT depressed, spindle
should project beyond door between 3/16"/5mm and 5/16"/8mm. Note: cut
spindle if too long.

.... so... I followed directions and then I put on the inside piece and
screwed it to the outside piece of the latch. It appeared to be
working fine ... I could depress the thumb button and it would
unlock .. so I tightened the screws. It immediately stopped working.
The thumb button would NOT depress.

I took it off and went through it all again ... putting the screws in
just enough to hold it in place to test it ... it worked fine. I
tightened the screws ... stopped working again.

Before I go out there and take the damn thing off again ... does it
sound like the spindle is too long? or too short? I had to cut it
off before I started because it was way too long ... and the saw blade
is dull. Hate to go through it again ... but sure don't want to cut
it off more if the problem is that I got it too short in the first
place.
The spindle, when pushed all the way in on the outside piece - comes
to the top of the outside piece ( making it even with outside
piecewhen the button is not depressed ) so I suspect I cut off too
much. I may be able to fix the problem by shoving cotton ball or
something down in there causing spindle to come out a little bit ..
but if it is too short, would that cause the button to not
depress ...

Any advice appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tighten screws -- stop working.

Sounds like spindle too long. If the locks are similar, can
you use the old spindle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I concur that it sounds like the spindle is too long.

What might be happening is that the door is compressing a bit when the
screws are tightened

--
Roger Shoaf

.

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 10:17*am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
I concur that it sounds like the spindle is too long.

What might be happening is that the door is compressing a bit when the
screws are tightened

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent..

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

I got it fixed! Turned out the spindle was too short. I shoved some
cotton down the hole and put the spindle in - so it was just a hair
longer than before - and it worked. Well, it wasn't that smoothly ...
but finally it works. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Glad you were able to fix it!

[...]