Posted to alt.home.repair

Default indoor vs outdoor light fixtures

I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor
wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones
more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical
problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones
with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor
wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones
more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical
problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones
with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

Generally outdoor fixtures that use standard indoor type lamps, are designed
to prevent water from getting to the lamp. If a rain drop hits a hot "A"
bulb, it will explode

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and
outdoor wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the
outdoor ones more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e.
risk electrical problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I
don't need ones with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

Generally outdoor fixtures that use standard indoor type lamps, are
designed to prevent water from getting to the lamp. If a rain drop
hits a hot "A" bulb, it will explode

Plus, I would think they are designed to resist corrosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 3:48*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
RBM wrote:
"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. *The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. *When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and
outdoor wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? *Are the
outdoor ones more weatherproof? *Would it be a big mistake (i.e.
risk electrical problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I
don't need ones with a light sensor or motion detector. *-- H

Generally outdoor fixtures that use standard indoor type lamps, are
designed to prevent water from getting to the lamp. If a rain drop
hits a hot "A" bulb, it will explode

Plus, I would think they are designed to resist corrosion.

Yeah, they use an extra coat of paintt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Heathcliff typed:
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor
wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones
more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical
problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones
with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

Yes. Go to the store & look at them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Heathcliff typed:
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor
wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones
more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical
problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones
with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

Most any sensible, logical and cooperative person as you appear to be.
People mostly bitch about problems on groups; you don't often see the good
things that go on.

Nice to hear; best of luck, safety & speed,

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor
wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones
more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical
problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones
with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

I put an inside light on a porch ceiling. Protected location where it
stayed dry. It corroded and had to be replaced after a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news.eternal-september.org wrote:
In ,
Heathcliff typed:
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor
wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones
more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical
problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones
with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

Yes. Go to the store & look at them!

The indoor ones probably are not UL rated for outdoor use. Your
insurance man would not be happy. Under a porch roof or something, it
might not make much real-world difference, but the outdoor rated ones do
hold up to the weather and temp swings better. Less corroded sockets,
brass looking nasty, etc. I don't mind paying a few bucks more for
outdoor-rated. I do mind the ****-poor selection and ugly styles
currently carried by the Borg, for outdoor or indoor apps. Guess I'm
gonna have to go to a boutique lighting store and bend over, or order on
line, or maybe take a stab at rebuilding what I have.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

news.eternal-september.org wrote:
In
,
Heathcliff typed:
[...]

Yea but pretty much anything is upscale compared to the jelly jars.

Sometimes you can get lucky at the Borg or even WalMart with the 2 packs
of lights as long as you're not trying to put it in Brentwood or Tiger's
woods ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 7:51*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Yeah that is my issue - have not found an outdoor one that I like,
selection of indoor units is better. I was hoping I'd get a bunch of
it's been fine" but no such luck. cheers, -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Pat wrote:
"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light
fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would
like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home
improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and
outdoor wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the
outdoor ones more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e.
risk electrical problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I
don't need ones with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

I put an inside light on a porch ceiling. Protected location where it
stayed dry. It corroded and had to be replaced after a few years.

I have track lighting under the eaves of our screen porch. I had to repaint
the bulb housings a few times, but they've been fine out there for twelve
years now. They provide light for the deck that surrounds the porch without
the light intruding much into the porch itself. They are on a dimmer and
provide a nice effect. I doubt they are outdoor rated, but there have been
no problems.

Keith