Posted to alt.home.repair

Default required to bring up to code?

This is more a legal question than a repair question, but I thought
someone here would have an opinion.

We have some stairs going down to the basement that are definitely not
up to code. Treads aren't deep enough etc.

I've slipped down twice.

We want to make the stairs safer by e.g. ripping the carpet off of
them.

On the other hand, we _don't_ want to bring the stairs up to code.
With the rise/run requirements, we'd have to eat up a few feet of
kitchen which I'd really much rather not do. And I figure just by
ripping the carpet out and maybe putting some non-skid material down,
the stairs can be made quite a bit safer.

Is there some kind of rule that "if you renovate something, you have
to bring it up to code"? Obviously specifics could vary by locality
(I live in MD USA), but I figure there might be some general rule. I
suspect that minor changes (e.g. ripping out carpet) wouldn't require
bringing up to code, but major renovations would, but am not sure.

Mainly worried because we'll probably sell the house in a few years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 12:20*pm, woger151 wrote:
[...]

Removing or adding a floor covering wouldn't trigger a code compliance
requirement unless it involved level changes or some such. The fact
that you are aware of the situation and trying to remedy it is a good
thing. How, where and why you slipped are only questions you can
answer, and only you can address with your improvements. As an aside,
are your handrails up to snuff?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

woger151 wrote:
This is more a legal question than a repair question, but I thought
someone here would have an opinion.

Oh, there will definitely be lots of opinions...

[...]

Only if your renovations are sufficient to require building permits and
inspections would there be a Code requirement.

It'll undoubtedly be a point brought to bear by a buyer's inspection on
sale; what is done about it then will be an issue to deal with then if
the potential buyer wants to make it an issue or simply accept it as is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 12:45*pm, RicodJour wrote:

Thanks for your informative reply.

snip

How, where and why you slipped are only questions you can
answer, and only you can address with your improvements.

First time I slipped I ended up dislocating my shoulder. (It's
happened before in other places; most interestingly, a carpeted set of
stairs in the early 1990s.)

Second time I was holding my 7 mo baby girl. Luckily only thing that
happened is I rode down on my behind and she woke up and cried.

Right now I try to avoid calamity by an "administrative" control of
always placing my feet diagonally, or sideways, instead of pointing
down. But it would be better to augment that with an "engineering"
control, like ripping out the carpet.

As an aside, are your handrails up to snuff?

Not really sure. We only have one, on the left. The right is missing
because there's wall only half way down the stairs. The railing on
the left is probably pretty good, if not great. The problem is going
down the stairs rapidly with feet pointing forward. I'm guessing that
ripping out the carpet would make a big difference.

R- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 12:53*pm, dpb wrote:
snip

Only if your renovations are sufficient to require building permits and
inspections would there be a Code requirement.

OK, thanks.

It'll undoubtedly be a point brought to bear by a buyer's inspection on
sale; what is done about it then will be an issue to deal with then if
the potential buyer wants to make it an issue or simply accept it as is.

When we bought the place in June 2008, our home inspector didn't point
it out, IIRC.

This friend of ours who we hire to do repairs said "those stairs are
murder."

AFAICT all the homes like this in the neighborhood (colonials built in
1947/1948) have the same problem, in terms of the overall rise/run.
Ours might be a little worse, because I think the rise/run heights
aren't uniform.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 12:58*pm, woger151 wrote:

AFAICT all the homes like this in the neighborhood (colonials built in
1947/1948) have the same problem, in terms of the overall rise/run.
Ours might be a little worse, because I think the rise/run heights
aren't uniform.

That is _very_ bad. You should look at evening out the rise and runs
without changing (by much) the overall stair length. The carpet might
not be the real problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

woger151 wrote:

AFAICT all the homes like this in the neighborhood (colonials built in
1947/1948) have the same problem, in terms of the overall rise/run.
Ours might be a little worse, because I think the rise/run heights
aren't uniform.

The uneven tread heights is as big a killer and maybe even more than
narrow; when combined it's an issue. I'd look really, really hard at
trying to correct that in conjunction w/ whatever else you do.

Also, if you don't have much or any tread lip overhang, extending it
just a little might be another help. You'll not want it excessive, of
course, to add a toe catcher.

I've seen a really nice web online calculator for playing w/ the design
rules/code requirements but I don't seem to have it bookmarked. If I
get a chance I'll see if I can find it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:
(snip)
This friend of ours who we hire to do repairs said "those stairs are
murder."

AFAICT all the homes like this in the neighborhood (colonials built in
1947/1948) have the same problem, in terms of the overall rise/run.
Ours might be a little worse, because I think the rise/run heights
aren't uniform.

Inconsistency is a larger problem than the steepness. It makes it a real
hazard for anyone using them.

At the very least, rip out the existing stairs and rebuild a set with
consistent rise/run. You might also want to consider alternate tread
stairs. See:
http://images.google.com/images?q=alternating+stairs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 1:27*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 12, 12:58*pm, woger151 wrote:

AFAICT all the homes like this in the neighborhood (colonials built in
1947/1948) have the same problem, in terms of the overall rise/run.
Ours might be a little worse, because I think the rise/run heights
aren't uniform.

That is _very_ bad. *You should look at evening out the rise and runs
without changing (by much) the overall stair length. *The carpet might
not be the real problem.

I can even out the rise and run w/o having to bring the entire thing
up to code (which is pretty much a nonstarter)?

My handy friend mentioned evening out the rise and runs and said it
could probably be done without ripping out the stringers (by adding
some wood here and there).

\

Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote the following:
[...]

How about a platform where the steps can take a 90 degree turn at the
bottom?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 2:00*pm, woger151 wrote:
On Jan 12, 1:27*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 12, 12:58*pm, woger151 wrote:

AFAICT all the homes like this in the neighborhood (colonials built in
1947/1948) have the same problem, in terms of the overall rise/run.
Ours might be a little worse, because I think the rise/run heights
aren't uniform.

That is _very_ bad. *You should look at evening out the rise and runs
without changing (by much) the overall stair length. *The carpet might
not be the real problem.

I can even out the rise and run w/o having to bring the entire thing
up to code (which is pretty much a nonstarter)?

My handy friend mentioned evening out the rise and runs and said it
could probably be done without ripping out the stringers (by adding
some wood here and there).

That's how I'd approach it. If you are doing a repair, you don't
generally pull a permit. If you don't pull a permit, there's no code
compliance official telling you you have to bring it up to code. In
general, when possible, bring things up to code if it's a safety
issue. In your instance correcting the inconsistencies in the rise/
run dimensions is your first order of business.

Measure the difference between the rise dimensions and the tread
dimensions, and let us know the overall discrepancy is, and the
greatest discrepancy between adjacent measurements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
This is more a legal question than a repair question, but I thought
someone here would have an opinion.

We have some stairs going down to the basement that are definitely not
up to code. Treads aren't deep enough etc.

I've slipped down twice.

We want to make the stairs safer by e.g. ripping the carpet off of
them.

On the other hand, we _don't_ want to bring the stairs up to code.
With the rise/run requirements, we'd have to eat up a few feet of
kitchen which I'd really much rather not do. And I figure just by
ripping the carpet out and maybe putting some non-skid material down,
the stairs can be made quite a bit safer.

Is there some kind of rule that "if you renovate something, you have
to bring it up to code"? Obviously specifics could vary by locality
(I live in MD USA), but I figure there might be some general rule.

You are mistaken: no "general rule" requires that safety-relevant
improvements comply with the current code for new buildings.
The general rule is that owner-executed changes need not
comply with any code. The main exception (in many jurisdictions)
is that fire-relevant changes (e.g. chimneys, e.g. electrical work)
must always comply with the code for new buildings (even in
owner-occupied old buildings.) In some places you may be
obligated to upgrade in order to comply with the Fire Code
(subset of the building code.)

Your city or county office that controls building permits can
answer your questions (without charge.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 2:44*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

Good idea. My handyman friend thought about that. Problem is that it
can't be done---there are horizontal, load-bearing steel I-beams that
mean there wouldn't be enough head clearance.

:-(

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:53:02 -0600, dpb wrote:

woger151 wrote:
[...]

He'll either buy it or he won't. It's not a DEFECT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:22:21 -0800 (PST), woger151
wrote:

On Jan 12, 2:44Â*pm, willshak wrote:
woger151 wrote the following:

This is more a legal question than a repair question, but I thought
someone here would have an opinion.

We have some stairs going down to the basement that are definitely not
up to code. Â*Treads aren't deep enough etc.

I've slipped down twice.

We want to make the stairs safer by e.g. ripping the carpet off of
them.

On the other hand, we _don't_ want to bring the stairs up to code.
With the rise/run requirements, we'd have to eat up a few feet of
kitchen which I'd really much rather not do. Â*And I figure just by
ripping the carpet out and maybe putting some non-skid material down,
the stairs can be made quite a bit safer.

Is there some kind of rule that "if you renovate something, you have
to bring it up to code"? Â*Obviously specifics could vary by locality
(I live in MD USA), but I figure there might be some general rule. Â*I
suspect that minor changes (e.g. ripping out carpet) wouldn't require
bringing up to code, but major renovations would, but am not sure.

Mainly worried because we'll probably sell the house in a few years.

How about a platform where the steps can take a 90 degree turn at the
bottom?

Good idea. My handyman friend thought about that. Problem is that it
can't be done---there are horizontal, load-bearing steel I-beams that
mean there wouldn't be enough head clearance.

:-(

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

How about an elevator?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote

This is more a legal question than a repair question, but I thought
someone here would have an opinion.

We want to make the stairs safer by e.g. ripping the carpet off of
them.

On the other hand, we _don't_ want to bring the stairs up to code.

Is there some kind of rule that "if you renovate something, you have
to bring it up to code"? Obviously specifics could vary by locality
(I live in MD USA), but I figure there might be some general rule. I

A minor change like removing 'worn' carpeting etc, does not mandate bringing
to code.

For the long run since you might sell, you may want to investigate a
prebuilt spiral type which won't eat kitchen space and will probably take
less space up than you are now. This may have the advantage of creating
ancillary storage in the kitchen depending on your design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote

I can even out the rise and run w/o having to bring the entire thing
up to code (which is pretty much a nonstarter)?

My handy friend mentioned evening out the rise and runs and said it
could probably be done without ripping out the stringers (by adding
some wood here and there).

Generally if you have to replace the stringer, you hit the level where you
have to hit code.

http://www.arkestairs.com/

http://www.spiralstairsofamerica.com/

If so, I'd check out these links above first (there are many others as
well).

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

woger151 wrote:
[...]

Sure; that's true for any item brought up; the buyer can accept whatever
he's comfortable with.

If it's badly-constructed enough to be out of Code tolerances, that's a
defect. Whether it's noticed is another matter; I was assuming from the
initial posting it was pretty egregious--maybe it's "not so much", who
knows as no specifics have been provided...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Is there room to turn the stairwell around? Have it enter from center of
house, rather than in kitchen (usually by back door? Or is there a
second floor stair using same shaft, or a closet in the way or
something? Most of us regulars, if we were there in person, could
suggest a solution in a couple of minutes. I think you need more than a
handyman, you need an actual experienced designer or contractor to
eyeball it for you. May cost a few bucks for a site visit, but unlike
the advice here, it will be worth as much as you paid for it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Get rid of the carpet, even out the riser spacing and tread depth, and
then cover the stairs with the sandpaper-like tread covers that you
can buy at any large hardware store. If you can't find it locally,
there are planty of places that can order it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

woger151 wrote:
[...]

You can pad an I-beam and paint it orange, and shine a light on it. Not
that big a risk, compared to falling. I'm 6'3", and routinely have to
duck at the bottom of residential basement stairs, and even on a couple
of landings in the stairwells of the 1928 wing of the offices where I
work. But yeah, if you make the stairs into an L, the stairwell usually
wants to be L-shaped as well.

There is always 'put the basement stairs in the garage' option, if you
have the room to spare out there, and are willing to punch the slab and
dig a hole. I've seen it done before.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good idea. My handyman friend thought about that. Problem is that it
can't be done---there are horizontal, load-bearing steel I-beams that
mean there wouldn't be enough head clearance.

:-(

Might be able to put a couple of posts in and remove 3 or 4 feet of steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 9:20*am, woger151 wrote:
[...]

You've gotten a LOT good replies / suggestions.

The non-uniform construction is probably the most problematic issue
with the stairs and VERY unsafe......uniformity is key to having a
safe stairway.
Its bad enough to have a starting or ending rise that's too tall or
too short but a "curveball" mid-stairway.....might as well grease the
treads or leave marbles on the stairs.

Have your handy friend work on the stairway to make it uniform (all
within 1/4" of each other or better).

Good lighting will help a lot.

As Rico mentions good handrails (on both sides, if possible) would be
a big help

If oyu still have problem after its been given the "quick & dirty"
fix, consider a steeper stair with better tread depth.
With good tread depth at least you can place your foot safely on each
step.

This stairway situation is one that requires attention sooner rather
than later.

here is a stair calculator I've used....it will let you "customize"
the stair to fit your situation...

http://www.ez-stairs.com/stair_calculator/

If oyu post again....could oyu post the total rise & run of the stair?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did not have carpeting on my stairs and slipped a few times. Then I stuck
on that Anti-Slip Traction Tape (feels like sandpaper on the top) to the
edge of each tread and have not slipped since. I also have big size 13 feet,
so that may be part of the problem.

Examples of this tape...
http://www.findtape.com/product170/I...Slip-Tape.aspx

http://safewaytraction.com

"woger151" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Most of us regulars, if we were there in person, could suggest a solution
in a couple of minutes. I think you need more than a handyman, you need an
actual experienced designer or contractor to eyeball it for you. May cost
a few bucks for a site visit, but unlike the advice here, it will be worth
as much as you paid for it.

Good idea. Next best would be to ask the neighbors if they have made
changes and see what they did.