Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leak in spa heater

I've got an old Laars Telstar 50,000 BTU spa heater.

Just developed a leak in the heat exchanger. The leaks are real easy to see
and they are not under much pressure. Just a couple of tiny sprays are
shooting out.

The correct thing to do would be to buy a new heater ($650). The exchanger
costs almost as much as a new heater ($500).

I'm thinking is such a small leak there might be an adhesive I could put on
it to stop the leak. Anyone know of such a thing?

In case you don't know what a heat exchanger is:

Part number 47. Not sure what it's made of but I'm guessing bronze.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heat...rs_telstar.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Master Betty wrote:
I've got an old Laars Telstar 50,000 BTU spa heater.

Just developed a leak in the heat exchanger. The leaks are real easy
to see and they are not under much pressure. Just a couple of tiny
sprays are shooting out.

The correct thing to do would be to buy a new heater ($650). The
exchanger costs almost as much as a new heater ($500).

I'm thinking is such a small leak there might be an adhesive I could
put on it to stop the leak. Anyone know of such a thing?

In case you don't know what a heat exchanger is:

Part number 47. Not sure what it's made of but I'm guessing bronze.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heat...rs_telstar.htm

If it's copper and bronze, soldering it would be the best bet if you can reach
the leak to do it.

You'd have to blow out all the water, and probably would need more than the
standard propane torch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:14:11 -0600, "Master Betty"
wrote:

I've got an old Laars Telstar 50,000 BTU spa heater.

Just developed a leak in the heat exchanger. The leaks are real easy to see
and they are not under much pressure. Just a couple of tiny sprays are
shooting out.

The correct thing to do would be to buy a new heater ($650). The exchanger
costs almost as much as a new heater ($500).

I'm thinking is such a small leak there might be an adhesive I could put on
it to stop the leak. Anyone know of such a thing?

In case you don't know what a heat exchanger is:

Part number 47. Not sure what it's made of but I'm guessing bronze.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heat...rs_telstar.htm

If it's old and has developed leaks, you are likely looking at
replacement in the very near future even if you manage to fix the
present leaks without creating new ones. Save yourself a lot of
aggravation and useless work doing repairs that are at best temporary.
Time to replace. There are more leaks waiting to spring up every time
you look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Master Betty wrote:
I've got an old Laars Telstar 50,000 BTU spa heater.

Just developed a leak in the heat exchanger. The leaks are real easy
to see and they are not under much pressure. Just a couple of tiny
sprays are shooting out.

The correct thing to do would be to buy a new heater ($650). The
exchanger costs almost as much as a new heater ($500).

I'm thinking is such a small leak there might be an adhesive I could
put on it to stop the leak. Anyone know of such a thing?

In case you don't know what a heat exchanger is:

Part number 47. Not sure what it's made of but I'm guessing bronze.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heat...rs_telstar.htm

Mostl likely the entire thing is corroded and as you patch one leak, another
will pop up soon after. If it is copper, it can be soldered. You can try
taking it to a radiator shop and have it done right. Those guys are pros at
working on thin wall stuff. Using epoxy type patches usually only lasts
for a short time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

you look.- Hide quoted text -

Could you use automotive radiator sealer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

++

I did think about that but there is no way to recirculation just in the
heater. The sealer would end up in the spa.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah...I know that's coming. It's just right atfer xmas when things get
tight. I was hoping to squeeze a few more months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My guess from the information given (Old Heater - spontaneous pinhole
leaks appearing) is that this heat exchanger doesn't have much metal
left in it. I really don't think it can be successfully repaired. It
may even crack or crumble from being disasembled.

If he said it was 3 years old and he accidentally whacked it with an
ax and it was leaking, then investigating a repair would be
reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

LOL....I think it was put in in the 80s. The house was built 1983.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:
I've got an old Laars Telstar 50,000 BTU spa heater.

Just developed a leak in the heat exchanger. The leaks are real easy
to see and they are not under much pressure. Just a couple of tiny
sprays are shooting out.

The correct thing to do would be to buy a new heater ($650). The
exchanger costs almost as much as a new heater ($500).

I'm thinking is such a small leak there might be an adhesive I could
put on it to stop the leak. Anyone know of such a thing?

In case you don't know what a heat exchanger is:

Part number 47. Not sure what it's made of but I'm guessing bronze.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heat...rs_telstar.htm

If it's copper and bronze, soldering it would be the best bet if you can
reach the leak to do it.

You'd have to blow out all the water, and probably would need more than
the standard propane torch.

I used a standard soldering iron and solder and it did help. There is a
small leak that I'm having trouble finding but I can live with a small leak.
If I can just stretch it out for 3-4 months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:14:27 -0600, "Master Betty"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Well you might at least get that lucky. If it's leaking now, you
really don't have anything to lose if an attempted repair makes it
worse.

A tube of J.B. Weld is only a few bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:26:33 -0600, "Master Betty"
wrote:

If he said it was 3 years old and he accidentally whacked it with an
ax and it was leaking, then investigating a repair would be
reasonable.

LOL....I think it was put in in the 80s. The house was built 1983.

According to your link:

"Teledyne Laars TelStar TGS-50, TGT-50 heater mfg 1985-1999"

That makes it ten years old - minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If he said it was 3 years old and he accidentally whacked it with an
ax and it was leaking, then investigating a repair would be
reasonable.

LOL....I think it was put in in the 80s. The house was built 1983.

According to your link:

"Teledyne Laars TelStar TGS-50, TGT-50 heater mfg 1985-1999"

That makes it ten years old - minimum.

After checking around I think I'm going to purchase another Laars. I called
a pool/spa repair place and they confirmed they make a good pool heater

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 6:14*pm, "Master Betty" wrote:
Just a couple of tiny sprays are
shooting out.

I've seen toothpicks/matchsticks stay radiator leaks for good long
whiles. 'Course you leave the cap loose, so there's no pressure.

Or, enlarge to where you might dip fine threaded screws in JB Weld, or
silicone (or wrap 'em with Teflon tape), then run them in.
-----

- gpsman

Water heater leak at top [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 21st 08 09:27 PM
Water Heater Leak [email protected] Home Ownership 5 March 7th 08 12:27 AM
Water heater leak Jim Home Repair 7 September 13th 07 10:17 PM
Help ! Water Heater Leak ! [email protected] Home Repair 13 September 14th 06 10:40 PM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM