Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater leak at top

I have a six year old electric water heater that works find and
doesn't leak water on floor but two of the metal screws that hold the
top to the sides are leaking enough water to leave rust trails down
the side. I wipe the trail away and the next day it's back. Is this
thing about to explode?
TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 9:36�pm, wrote:
I have a six year old electric water heater that works find and
doesn't leak water on floor but two of the metal screws that hold the
top to the sides are leaking enough water to leave rust trails down
the side. �I wipe the trail away and the next day it's back. �Is this
thing about to explode?
TIA

its going bad, time to buy a new tank. turn off the water immediately
if a big leak can damage things.

like in a finished basement
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:36:37 -0700, wrote:

I have a six year old electric water heater that works find and
doesn't leak water on floor but two of the metal screws that hold the
top to the sides are leaking enough water to leave rust trails down
the side. I wipe the trail away and the next day it's back. Is this
thing about to explode?
TIA

You know, there's actually not supposed to be any water behind those
screws, until you get to the inside of the tank, which is 2 inches
away, at least.

It's a tribute to the rest of the case that no water is coming out
further down.

There's a leak somewhere, probably near the top**, that has filled the
space at the top with water.

I suppose if you turn the water off, and turn off the fuse for the
water heater (make sure you have the right one) and disconnect the
wires, and unscrew the top, and drain and soak up all the water, and
turn the wtaer on again, you might be able to find the leak, turn off
the wter again, and patch it with something. Most people would find
the leak and replace the water heater, I guess/

OR, any chance it is leaking at a pipe abvoe the top of the wh and
running down into the wh, and then coming out the screws? Are either
of the pipes wet?

**BEcause the middle 3 or 4 feet is packed pretty full with
styroafoam, from the outside of the water tank to the inside of the
sheet metal case/cover that you see on the outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 10:05�pm, mm wrote:
[...]

a leak around any fitting that enters the tank is a sign of tank
failure. sure you can fix it, but a new leak will just appear
somewhere else.

water heaters arent worth screwing around with, espically if a leak
can damage your home.