Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grinder question.

Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 10:51*am, terry wrote:
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

Return it, and try the replacement in the store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's an inexpensive made in China piece of junk model, replacing it may
not help. The wheels are out of round, and the replacement wheels are likely
out of round. If it were me, I'd go to your local hardware store (NOT
Home-Depot, Lowes, or their ilk - they sell the same made in china out of
round crap wheels) and see if you can find some good quality wheels for it.

I also found that the out of round wheels will wear into a better balanced
shape, but it takes a very long time.

"terry" wrote in message
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 11:51*am, terry wrote:
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

"Purchased an *economical* new 8 inch two wheel grinder"

Define economical.

Something is economical only if it requires a minimum of time or
resources necessary for effectiveness.

An wobbly grinder may not be very effective, thus making it a better
fit for the definition of inexpensive which only deals with cost, not
effectiveness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote the following:
If it's an inexpensive made in China piece of junk model, replacing it
may not help. The wheels are out of round, and the replacement wheels
are likely out of round. If it were me, I'd go to your local hardware
store (NOT Home-Depot, Lowes, or their ilk - they sell the same made
in china out of round crap wheels) and see if you can find some good
quality wheels for it.

Cheap stuff from China is not limited to the big box stores.
Much of the stuff I buy in the local independent (not TrueValue or Ace
franchises) hardware stores is also made in China, just read the labels..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 7:51*am, terry wrote:
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

couldn't hurt to "dress" the wheel if it is eccentric. If it is
wobbling side-to-side that is another story.

grinding wheels aren't meant for a side load, so dressing the wheel
from the side is pretty much a no-no. (Yes, I KNOW that people use
the sides, but it REALLY isn't a good idea)

I had lots of luck just replacing the stock wheels with something of
higher quality from Norton. The white wheels work great. They run
cooler which helps keep the temper of the tool you are grinding, and
they also disintegrate a bit faster (probably last 5 years instead of
10)

The wheels came balanced and didn't need dressing. I think they were
around $20 each for the 6 inch. But hey, that's cheap compared to a
doctor's visit to remove chunks of carborundum from your various body
parts.

Best of luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:14*pm, wrote:

I have a deal that trues up a new or worn wheel. It is a toothed wheel
on a sturdy handle and it will tune up a bad grinder wheel in a few
seconds. Look around in the tool department.

Yup that's what I was thinking off, often called 'Dressing' a grinding
wheel?
I recall my dad had a large old fashioned tool for dressing or 'truing
up' his, large, e.g. 15 inches, slow, 'wet' grindstone.
The grinder was 'economically' made in China, and when I went back to
exchange it, couple of days into the New Year; out of stock!
The clerk also let it slip that others were purchasing replacement
wheels!
All the advice much appreciated, thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:35*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:23:59 -0800 (PST), xparatrooper

wrote:
On Jan 11, 7:51*am, terry wrote:
[...]

It might just be a matter of removing the wheels and re-installing
them.- Hide quoted text -

1) Tried that; slight improvement!

2) BTW that's good commen**t; was wondering about the quality of the
carborundum stone wheels!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , terry wrote:
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

Run it with both wheels off. The vibration should almost entirely disappear,
and both shafts should spin true with no hint whatsoever of any wobble. If it
fails either of these tests, take it back.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Eventually, yes, but (a) it will take a very long time, and (b) you're doing
untold damage to the shaft bearings in the process. Much better to dress the
wheels, as others have already described, or to replace them with wheels that
will spin true.

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 10:51*am, terry wrote:
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

If grinder vibrates without a wheel return it, it was not balanced, it
will not last like a good balanced unit and could get worse fast if
you use it alot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
Zootal wrote the following:
If it's an inexpensive made in China piece of junk model, replacing it
may not help. The wheels are out of round, and the replacement wheels are
likely out of round. If it were me, I'd go to your local hardware store
(NOT Home-Depot, Lowes, or their ilk - they sell the same made in china
out of round crap wheels) and see if you can find some good quality
wheels for it.

Cheap stuff from China is not limited to the big box stores.
Much of the stuff I buy in the local independent (not TrueValue or Ace
franchises) hardware stores is also made in China, just read the labels..

Stanley tools are now made in China. I have a lot of old Stanley tools that
were made in USA that I still use. I have a lot of broken newer Stanley
tools that were made in China that went into the trash. *All* of my Stanley
garden tools broke in less then a year and went into the trash. I'll never
buy a Stanley garden tool again. Black&Decker has also gone down the
more-profit-crap-tools pathway. Oh how the mighty have fallen! I have a
Ryobi made-in-china router table. The guide groove was cut crooked, and the
ruler printed along the edge is also crooked and part of it is cut off by
the front edge of the table. The guide itself has a left and right side that
are adjustable. The left side will not go all of the way back because it is
on a warped plastic holder. Because of this, if you are running a piece of
wood along the guide, it will catch on the left side. I had to bolt it to
the backing and then shim the right side to make them even. I came real
close to taking it back, but I had little confidence the replacement would
have been any better. Guess that is what I get for buying cheap tools (made
in China or not)(but mostly made in China).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear'
into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be
appreciated.

My suggestion is return it to Habor Freight and spend more to buy a
good one at another store.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:51:24 -0800 (PST), terry
wrote:

Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

I absolutely hate returning merchandise because then I have to admit I
made a bad purchase and waste my time with the return. Recently, I
took a newly-purchased 8" grinder back to the store due to excessive
vibration. I put a gauge on the shaft and it had some runout that was
the cause of the wobble. My 20-year old 6" grinder is a lot more
stable, and less than 1/2 the cost and NOT made in China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Purchased an economical new 8 inch two wheel grinder.

One wheel (the coarser one) is slightly eccentric or has a slight
variation or wobble.

And there is vibration. More so than my older six inch grinder.

But am wondering if, with use, the the coarse wheel will 'wear' into a
better balance?

Any advice before deciding to return the purchase would be appreciated.

I absolutely hate returning merchandise because then I have to admit I
made a bad purchase and waste my time with the return. Recently, I
took a newly-purchased 8" grinder back to the store due to excessive
vibration. I put a gauge on the shaft and it had some runout that was
the cause of the wobble. My 20-year old 6" grinder is a lot more
stable, and less than 1/2 the cost and NOT made in China.

A man after my own heart. For inexpensive items, I'll sometimes throw them
in the trash instead of bothering to return them. It just isn't worth the
time and trouble. And likewise, my 1960 era made in USA grinder works just
fine. I'd be willing to bet when my Craftsman made in china grinder finally
dies, my old 1960 grinder will still be chugging along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How many times have I wished that I had all the money that I wasted over
the course of my life.
That includes the beer, cigarettes, the snake oil remedies, impulse
bought items, and other crap.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Question about die grinder Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 7 December 5th 08 02:02 AM
Angle Grinder Question BRAD UK diy 13 August 16th 08 02:57 PM
Electric die grinder question RDF Metalworking 6 October 5th 07 01:52 AM
Grinder/lathe question BobMac Woodworking 6 May 11th 06 02:11 AM
question on grinder speeds Walker Woodturning 27 November 3rd 04 09:53 AM