Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opinions on electrical smart boxes

Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

These things are really tough, with a lot of interior room. The only
drawback is that the box is physically very large, so if you cut a hole
that's even slightly larger than the box, a standard wall plate won't cover
it. I wouldn't waste my time with the single gang variety, but if you want a
large, really strong and durable multi-gang box, they're great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Limp wrote in message
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

These things are really tough, with a lot of interior room. The only
drawback is that the box is physically very large, so if you cut a hole
that's even slightly larger than the box, a standard wall plate won't cover
it. I wouldn't waste my time with the single gang variety, but if you want a
large, really strong and durable multi-gang box, they're great.

Hi,
What is fire rating on this stuffs? I am stil old fashioned, sticking
with metal boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen them before. I like them!

I like the idea they are screwed in. You could easily readjust one or
perhaps remove it later, make the opening larger, and install another.

(So it looks.)

Also sometimes the boxes are not installed just right to line up with the
drywall, so looks like you could fix that with these boxes...

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Limp wrote in message
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

These things are really tough, with a lot of interior room. The only
drawback is that the box is physically very large, so if you cut a hole
that's even slightly larger than the box, a standard wall plate won't
cover
it. I wouldn't waste my time with the single gang variety, but if you
want a
large, really strong and durable multi-gang box, they're great.

Hi,
What is fire rating on this stuffs? I am stil old fashioned, sticking with
metal boxes.

I generally like to use steel boxes, but these are probably two or three
times as thick as a standard plastic box, making them very rigid. I don't
know their fire rating but I would believe they'd be equal to steel. I
especially like using them in three and four gang. Steel boxes screwed
together to make multiple gangs, need support or they can break apart.
Standard multi gang plastic boxes are so flimsy, they tend to twist making
them hard to position flush with the drywall. These things are rigid like
steel, and have the interior space of plastic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2010 8:33 PM, RBM wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

These things are really tough, with a lot of interior room. The only
drawback is that the box is physically very large, so if you cut a hole
that's even slightly larger than the box, a standard wall plate won't cover
it. I wouldn't waste my time with the single gang variety, but if you want a
large, really strong and durable multi-gang box, they're great.

Where do you buy them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

never seen them but they look like a good product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
On 1/9/2010 8:33 PM, RBM wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Anyone used these boxes before?

http://www.smartboxinc.com/electrical_boxes.php

Not much more expensive than the blue old work boxes and they have to
be better than using madison bars.

Is this something my local supply house would have or do I need to
order them online?

These things are really tough, with a lot of interior room. The only
drawback is that the box is physically very large, so if you cut a hole
that's even slightly larger than the box, a standard wall plate won't
cover
it. I wouldn't waste my time with the single gang variety, but if you
want a
large, really strong and durable multi-gang box, they're great.

Where do you buy them?

I get them from my local electrical supply, in Mt. Kisco, NY