Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Identify this piece of hardware

On Jan 7, 10:45*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
See attached pic (small GIF).

I've found two of these the last few days, one small (~1"), the other
several times larger. Just wondering what the proper name for them is.

(Please disregard mis-drawn left-hand threads.)

- a Usenet "apology"

*unknownhardware.gif
3KViewDownload

I googled "eye bolt" under images and found some that looked a lot
like this

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2010 6:08 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

On Jan 7, 10:45 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

See attached pic (small GIF).

I've found two of these the last few days, one small (~1"), the other
several times larger. Just wondering what the proper name for them is.

(Please disregard mis-drawn left-hand threads.)

unknownhardware.gif
3KViewDownload

I googled "eye bolt" under images and found some that looked a lot
like this

Close, but no cigar. None of the pictures I saw look exactly like the
pieces I have. They're more or less morphologically the same (sorry to
use such a big word, but it fits), but there are some important
differences. My pieces have a fairly long unthreaded shank, with
relatively few threads at the end, which suggests they're supposed to
stand proud of the surface they're attached to. There's also a ring,
like an attached washer, below the "eye".

Someone else here suggested a clevis: sorry, not that either. A clevis
generally has two prongs through which a pin goes. So I still don't know
what to call these.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 9:42*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Close, but no cigar. None of the pictures I saw look exactly like the
pieces I have. They're more or less morphologically the same (sorry to
use such a big word, but it fits), but there are some important
differences. My pieces have a fairly long unthreaded shank, with
relatively few threads at the end, which suggests they're supposed to
stand proud of the surface they're attached to. There's also a ring,
like an attached washer, below the "eye".

Someone else here suggested a clevis: sorry, not that either. A clevis
generally has two prongs through which a pin goes. So I still don't know
what to call these.

Your defense of your posting peccadilloes caused you to take your eye
off the ball. If you had searched for clevis pins, and did an image
search from there, or leafed through a catalog, it would have led you
to this:

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/image.../shackleCM.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2010 8:56 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Your defense of your posting peccadilloes caused you to take your eye
off the ball. If you had searched for clevis pins, and did an image
search from there, or leafed through a catalog, it would have led you
to this:

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/image.../shackleCM.jpg

Me? take my eye off the ball? I represent that remark.

Anyhow, bingo: you win the contest. Your $2.50 check will be mailed to
you shortly.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes, this could be a male clevis which would normally fit in a slot or
female clevis, the one with two prongs. Function rather than form
often determines its name. shackle, eyebolt or clevis may all be
correct. Hope this helps. Dont expect to find this at the hardware
store.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:14:43 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

[...]

Now that someone posted a link to a picture properly, I know what it
is. Those shackles are VERY common, and it is hard to imagine a
hardware store that DIDN'T carry them. They are used for wire rigging,
such as used to cable trees. You'll have to buy the shackle along with
the threaded clevis pin, but they aren't expensive, either. If you
want stainless steel versions, they are all over the place on boat
rigging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4b480d74$0$14723
:

On 1/8/2010 8:56 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Your defense of your posting peccadilloes caused you to take your eye
off the ball. If you had searched for clevis pins, and did an image
search from there, or leafed through a catalog, it would have led you
to this:

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/image.../shackleCM.jpg

Me? take my eye off the ball? I represent that remark.

You need to change your handle to Norm Crosby :-)

Anyhow, bingo: you win the contest. Your $2.50 check will be mailed to
you shortly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

rigging.- Hide quoted text -

I had the impression his was designed for a specific purpose with the
long shank and short threaded area. On the other hand he may just need
an eyebolt.

Jimmie