Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teflon Tape

Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this Teflon tape in
the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

No.... as the thread tightens, the tape will tend to loosen.
I always wrap with the threads, not against.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding
this Teflon tape in
the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 1:25*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this Teflon tape in
the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa...

Looks kinda bass ackwards doesn't it?

Left hand shown? There is no watch (or finger ring) on the person's
hand. Although wearing watches (rings) not as common nowadays and
never recommended while working in construction work anyway!

While the presumably superposed printing is the 'right way round',
I'll opt for suggesting, the picture got reversed!

And that's happened before; some 'layout director' in the arts
department decides a picture 'looks better' or fits the page, the
other way round and knowing nothing of the skill or technology
involved gets the picture wrong way round.

As result something such as the the Eiffel Tower in relation to the
Arc De Triomphe in Paris is shown wrong. Also seem to remember a pix.
of a standard V8 motor that was clearly backwards!
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:25 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I tried to zoom in on the writing on the roll but it was too blurred.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that fitting anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good one! I totally missed that. He shoulda thread it, and
then sweat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy
winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that
fitting anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that fitting anyway?

The copper pipe is fastened to the wood, so either the joint gets a
union fitting, or the chrome pipe is loose and able to turn and reach
the copper, or some dumb ass is teaching what he doesn't know. But
still the teflon is backwards or the pic is flip flopped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote in
:

Bob F wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa
pe.jpg

How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that fitting anyway?

The copper pipe is fastened to the wood, so either the joint gets a
union fitting, or the chrome pipe is loose and able to turn and reach
the copper, or some dumb ass is teaching what he doesn't know. But
still the teflon is backwards or the pic is flip flopped.

...or some dumb ass is teaching what he doesn't know.

Then that settles it. It's Bob Vila's hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Tony wrote in
:

Bob F wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa
pe.jpg

How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that fitting anyway?

The copper pipe is fastened to the wood, so either the joint gets a
union fitting, or the chrome pipe is loose and able to turn and reach
the copper, or some dumb ass is teaching what he doesn't know. But
still the teflon is backwards or the pic is flip flopped.

...or some dumb ass is teaching what he doesn't know.

Then that settles it. It's Bob Vila's hand.

HA!
Did he flux the thread before taping it?
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 11:52*am, "Bob F" wrote:
How the he## is he going to screw that pipe onto that fitting anyway?

I found the page that links to that pic. The part sticking out of the
wall is the end of a sillcock that is not yet attached to anything.

Another photo of the connection from a different angle shows it
running in the same direction, so the photo probably isn't backwards.

The roll of tape is also visible in the photo, but the resolution is
too low to tell if the lettering is backwards. Maybe if someone has
the same brand of tape they might be able to tell.

(Not that it's worth worrying about.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 11:25*am, mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this Teflon tape in
the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa...

He may be. My eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks like he
is going clockwise from the small edge of tape sticking out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 8, 5:38*pm, Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa....

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? *I don't think so.

HeyBub is right, Teflon tape is a lubricant. if you want sealing, use
pipe dope like your plumber does.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:38 pm, Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?
http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa...
Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think so.

HeyBub is right, Teflon tape is a lubricant. if you want sealing, use
pipe dope like your plumber does.

Joe

Dang! Foiled again. I use both Teflon and pipe dope (not at the same
time). I've had joints leak with Teflon so I changed to pipe dope, and
I had pipe dope leak so I changed to Teflon. I think I'm just too
scared to tighten some fittings as hard as they need. Same experience
with compressed air hoses and stuff.

Next to the pressure tank I have a steel pipe going into a female pvc
fitting, and after leaking twice, then breaking the pvc fitting while
tightening it more, I put 2 hose clamps around a new female fitting and
snugged them up tight before torquing he hell out of the fitting.
Finally worked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:38 pm, Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I don't think metal threads into PVC female is even allowed here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:38 pm, Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I use pipe dope that contains Teflon. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Tony wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:38 pm, Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?
http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa...
Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.
Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think so.

HeyBub is right, Teflon tape is a lubricant. if you want sealing, use
pipe dope like your plumber does.

Wrong. That's not what pipe dope is for.

Joe

Dang! Foiled again. I use both Teflon and pipe dope (not at the same
time). I've had joints leak with Teflon so I changed to pipe dope, and
I had pipe dope leak so I changed to Teflon. I think I'm just too
scared to tighten some fittings as hard as they need.

Yes, that would be the problem -- combined with not understanding what pipe
dope is for. Pipe dope is *not* a sealant to prevent leaks. It's a *lubricant*
that makes it easier to tighten the joints enough that they won't leak. Pipe
threads are tapered: the pipe needs to be threaded far enough into the fitting
that the tapered threads expand the fitting slightly. *That* is what keeps the
joint from leaking.

Same experience
with compressed air hoses and stuff.

Same reason.

Next to the pressure tank I have a steel pipe going into a female pvc
fitting, and after leaking twice, then breaking the pvc fitting while
tightening it more, I put 2 hose clamps around a new female fitting and
snugged them up tight before torquing he hell out of the fitting.
Finally worked.

And now you know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think so.

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is the
thread itself that provides the seal surface... One of the defining
characteristics of PTFE is how good it is at defeating friction. The use of
PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which
more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of
deformation, which is what creates the majority, if not all, of the seal."

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think
so.

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is
the thread itself that provides the seal surface... One of the
defining characteristics of PTFE is how good it is at defeating
friction. The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a
lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be
screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates
the majority, if not all, of the seal."

Why is it that more wraps gives a better seal? I've sure found that to be true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg
Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think so.

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is the
thread itself that provides the seal surface... One of the defining
characteristics of PTFE is how good it is at defeating friction. The use of
PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which
more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of
deformation, which is what creates the majority, if not all, of the seal."

Ahh! It does say ""the majority", if not all", so evidently sometimes
the Teflon is making the seal!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg
Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think
so.

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is
the thread itself that provides the seal surface... One of the
defining characteristics of PTFE is how good it is at defeating
friction. The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a
lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be
screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates
the majority, if not all, of the seal."

Ahh! It does say ""the majority", if not all", so evidently sometimes
the Teflon is making the seal!

Or pipe dope. Or soldering. Or something else. Or it's not sealed at all.

Personally, I just lube up the joint with WD-40 and give it a go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 6:43*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...erPipeTeflonTa....

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? *I don't think so..

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is the
thread itself that provides the seal surface... One of the defining
characteristics of PTFE is how good it is at defeating friction. The use of
PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which
more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of
deformation, which is what creates the majority, if not all, of the seal."

Hey Bub-

What is the source of the posted quote?

What follows is a cite of a site .... that confirms my
experience YMMV

The complete details of pipe threads (tapered threads) are somewhat
nuanced...

some are meant to be used with sealant (dope or tape) NPT
some are meant for "dry fit" NPTF

NPT vs NPTF

THREAD DESIGN
The requirements for NPT (National Pipe Thread) are spelled out in
ANSI B1.20.1
The requirements for NPTF (National Pipe Thread Fuel) are spelled out
in ANSI B1.20.3

those interested in the details can take a look at .......

http://www.ring-plug-thread-gages.co...PT-vs-NPTF.htm

YEARS ago when I worked on the design & manufacturing of some
hydraulically powered hardware
(AH-64 AWS Ammunition Feed System)
the Army required that no sealant or Teflon tape be used any pipe
threads in all "deliverable" hydraulic systems.

We were required to use NPTF (dry seal) threads; all components &
fittings.
These threads were precisely machined and required precision gauges to
assure that they would, in fact, mate and seal.
They were a bitch to work with but they did "dry seal".

"Normal" pipe threads lack the precision to develop reliable sealing
without the use of tape or dope....hence the use of sealants with pipe
threads.

For years (my aerospace years), I used Teflon tape on non-deliverable
hardware (shop systems, test rigs, lab equipment, etc)

I switched to dope for residential work based on the suggest
(actually, chiding) of a master plumber.

For a while I used both tape & dope....now I'm back to tape alone (the
thick Mil-Std stuff) or if I'm feeling nervous about thread
quality...then it's BOTH.

Also for PVC to metal threaded connections........PVC into metal
NEVER metal into PVC.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
Are you saying that the teflon is just a lubricant? I don't think
so.

"Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is
the thread itself that provides the seal surface... One of the
defining characteristics of PTFE is how good it is at defeating
friction. The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a
lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be
screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates
the majority, if not all, of the seal."

Hey Bub-

What is the source of the posted quote?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

See also:
http://crunchpedia.org/Thread_seal_tape

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Nonsense.

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

Dang - reminds me of that comedy line, but I can't remember how it goes....

Something like "It's a breath mint and toilet cleaner!"
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 13:00:41 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

dpb wrote:

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

Dang - reminds me of that comedy line, but I can't remember how it goes....

Something like "It's a breath mint and toilet cleaner!"

BOY howdy! post it when you remember it. I want to read this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:

Dang - reminds me of that comedy line, but I can't remember how it goes....

Something like "It's a breath mint and toilet cleaner!"

BOY howdy! post it when you remember it. I want to read this.

I think it was a SNL sketch from the late 70s or early 80s - wish I could
remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
dpb wrote:

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

Dang - reminds me of that comedy line, but I can't remember how it goes....

Something like "It's a breath mint and toilet cleaner!"

It's a dessert topping and a shoe polish!

I'm thinking I heard it on "Dr. Demento" but it sounds like a SNL skit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Nonsense.

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

But, not a great sealant. Pipe dope and thread, yo.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"dpb" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

Nonsense.

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

But, not a great sealant. Pipe dope and thread, yo.

Oh, they make all kinds of pipe dopes now, with teflon, which should never
really dry out or crack, if that ever was a problem with old pipe dope and
string.
Teflon pipe dope is even messier than the original pipe dope!

Still, I use teflon tape, and prayer.
But if I had a "serious" job, I'd proly go with teflon dope/string, esp. on
anything 1" or over. This way, you also don't have to crank so goddamm
hard.

I believe they also make different thicknesses in the teflon tape, fwiw.
--
EA

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I've had bad luck with 1 1/2" - 2" PVC joints. Does the dope/string work well
for those?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this
Teflon tape in the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

Psst! It doesn't matter. The tape is not the sealant.

"Since the PTFE is malleable, deformable and impermeable, it acts a
little like putty under compression, being forced into small gaps
between threads in order to create an air- and watertight seal when
threaded into a joint. The tape is commonly used commercially in
pressurized water systems, such as central heating systems, as well as
in air compression equipment and thread joints with coarse threads."

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
Assuming that the thread is not reverse, is this guy winding this Teflon tape in
the right direction?

http://www.yourepair.com/howtos/imag...TeflonTape.jpg

technically, no. but if its good and tight, it really doesn't matter.

teflon tape vs pipe tape ??? scale Home Repair 10 August 31st 13 07:44 PM
teflon tape Seamus J. Wilson Home Repair 8 October 15th 08 03:28 AM
teflon tape thehip Home Repair 11 August 20th 07 04:55 PM
Teflon tape Shaila Ramanujam Home Repair 0 May 31st 07 05:00 AM
Teflon Pipe Tape or TFE Paste Thread Compound with Teflon for Galvanized to ABS Threads?? scale Home Repair 3 November 5th 05 09:46 PM