Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door windows/solar heat

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a garage door with southern
exposure, having or adding windows for some solar heat? Or something
like the big fold up bug screens with plexi-glass (actually Lexan)
instead of the screen. I found a couple things on line but would love
if someone here has some firsthand experience. The manufacture of the
doors wants a small fortune for a panel with windows. One thought is to
make a panel frame with 2x6's, wrap it with aluminum and add Lexan for
the window/s.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Tony" wrote in message
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a garage door with southern
exposure, having or adding windows for some solar heat? Or something
like the big fold up bug screens with plexi-glass (actually Lexan) instead
of the screen. I found a couple things on line but would love if someone
here has some firsthand experience. The manufacture of the doors wants a
small fortune for a panel with windows. One thought is to make a panel
frame with 2x6's, wrap it with aluminum and add Lexan for the window/s.

post on rec.woodworking. ping morris dovey in the subject line. He'll have
answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a garage door with southern
exposure, having or adding windows for some solar heat? Or something
like the big fold up bug screens with plexi-glass (actually Lexan)
instead of the screen. I found a couple things on line but would love
if someone here has some firsthand experience. The manufacture of the
doors wants a small fortune for a panel with windows. One thought is to
make a panel frame with 2x6's, wrap it with aluminum and add Lexan for
the window/s.

Try a cheap test first- make a jam-fit frame out of 2x2s covered with
plastic (like a hillbilly storm window), put it outside of the overhead
door on a sunny day, and open the garage door. See if it actually
provides any greenhouse effect. Around here, in summer, most people
leave the OH door open until after dark, to keep garage from
superheating just from the un-insulated attic radiating back down into
it. And in winter, they want an insulated door to keep the garage from
freezing hard overnight. (Hot engine blocks and tires do an amazing job
of heating an enclosed space...) Lotsa guys around here that use their
garage for woodshops in summer have screened panels they set in the OH
door jamb during the summer, including a judas gate, just to have a fly
and skeeter-free place to work.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 6, 11:48 pm, Tony wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a garage door with southern
exposure, having or adding windows for some solar heat? Or something
like the big fold up bug screens with plexi-glass (actually Lexan)
instead of the screen. I found a couple things on line but would love
if someone here has some firsthand experience. The manufacture of the
doors wants a small fortune for a panel with windows. One thought is to
make a panel frame with 2x6's, wrap it with aluminum and add Lexan for
the window/s.

That's surprising, I just got a garage door. It was $140 extra to
have a panel with windows on an 18' door Didn't seem that bad to me.

My garage door guy said it's priced much, much cheaper if it is ordered
with the rest of the door. But to outright buy just that one panel,
they charge out the ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door windows/non reflective

We just received a notice to change the reflective tint on our garage door windows as it is no longer allowed. The tint was in there when we purchased and probably from the original owner so can't be easily peeled off. Anyone know where we can get a replacement set of Windows with non reflective tint? Thank you for any suggestions.
Terry

garage door adding windows J. Davidson Home Ownership 2 January 26th 08 03:01 AM
SOLAR HEAT J T Woodworking 1 May 15th 07 09:22 PM
Vinyl Residential Garage Door - With 6 windows? fishcakes Home Repair 6 May 1st 07 03:33 PM
solar heat Ka Boom Home Repair 0 February 8th 07 08:59 PM
Solar Heat [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 2nd 06 02:23 PM