Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile Overlap in Shower

The patient is a shower stall, acrylic base, cement backer board, 8x10
tiles in thinset. The tiles overlap the lip of the acrylic base by
1/2"(?) and there is a 1/4" gap between the bottom row of tiles and
the flat top of the base. I went to start grouting, and noticed that
the gap behind the bottom of the tiles isn't always filled with
thinset.

Is it necessary/desirable to try to push thinset/grout under the
bottom tiles and into the gap behind? Should I just squeeze extra
caulk up into the gap? Caulk seems easier, but won't support the
bottom bit of the tile as well.

Any advice appreciated.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:57:59 -0800 (PST), red
wrote:

The patient is a shower stall, acrylic base, cement backer board, 8x10
tiles in thinset. The tiles overlap the lip of the acrylic base by
1/2"(?) and there is a 1/4" gap between the bottom row of tiles and
the flat top of the base. I went to start grouting, and noticed that
the gap behind the bottom of the tiles isn't always filled with
thinset.

Is it necessary/desirable to try to push thinset/grout under the
bottom tiles and into the gap behind? Should I just squeeze extra
caulk up into the gap? Caulk seems easier, but won't support the
bottom bit of the tile as well.

Any advice appreciated.

Red

What I'm reading is you have a void between the wall tile at the pan,
where they mate?

Please post a pic on a free site like tinyurl hosting....

Posted to alt.home.repair

red wrote:
The patient is a shower stall, acrylic base, cement backer board, 8x10
tiles in thinset. The tiles overlap the lip of the acrylic base by
1/2"(?) and there is a 1/4" gap between the bottom row of tiles and
the flat top of the base. I went to start grouting, and noticed that
the gap behind the bottom of the tiles isn't always filled with
thinset.

Is it necessary/desirable to try to push thinset/grout under the
bottom tiles and into the gap behind? Should I just squeeze extra
caulk up into the gap? Caulk seems easier, but won't support the
bottom bit of the tile as well.

The little bit overhanging is amply supported by the big chunk above it, and
as it isn't in a loction which receives much, if any, load, you don't need
anything behind it.

Well, you do need to caulk between the top of the tub lip and the bottom of
the CBU, but you already knew that.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

red wrote:
The patient is a shower stall, acrylic base, cement backer board, 8x10
tiles in thinset. The tiles overlap the lip of the acrylic base by
1/2"(?) and there is a 1/4" gap between the bottom row of tiles and
the flat top of the base. I went to start grouting, and noticed that
the gap behind the bottom of the tiles isn't always filled with
thinset.

Is it necessary/desirable to try to push thinset/grout under the
bottom tiles and into the gap behind? Should I just squeeze extra
caulk up into the gap? Caulk seems easier, but won't support the
bottom bit of the tile as well.

Any advice appreciated.

Red

The joint between the tile and the base should be caulked, right? One
assumes that the space not covered by thinset should be very small, so I
would not worry about it - it would take a freak accident to break it.
Normal caulking will probably fill it, and I would be inclined to do the
caulking in two stages to allow those gaps to cure comepletely before
doing the final line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 7:51*am, "
wrote:
giant snip

The joint between the tile and the base should be caulked, right? *One
assumes that the space not covered by thinset should be very small, so I
would not worry about it - it would take a freak accident to break it.
Normal caulking will probably fill it, and I would be inclined to do the
caulking in two stages to allow those gaps to cure comepletely before
doing the final line.

guess that rules out silicone - never had much luck getting new
silicone to stick to old.

no pictures, don't know how to get a shot behind the tiles. ;-)

as for freak accidents, there are a few freaks in the neighbourhood,
but I don't let them shower here.

tks to all.

R.