Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Cabinet Hinges

So I made an interesting discovery tonight while working on the kitchen
cabinets. Most of the doors do not stay shut when they are closed. The "snap" to
lock them in place is gone. So, I took the two hinges off each door, cleaned
them, oiled them, and then noticed that the flap that attaches to the door is
not perpendicular to the hinge as it is supposed to be. Some were worse than
others. A vise and a hammer solved the problem, so the wrap around brackets are
now square.

Here are the hinges. (Taiwanese crap)

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture026.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture027.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture028.jpg

When I put the doors back together, the doors now remain shut. They're not as
tight as I would like, but I imagine the 22 year old hinges might want to be
replaced. If I can find one that is identical, that's what I'll do.

I just thought I would pass along this information for anyone else who is as
clueless as I am.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

They are copies of Amerock hinges. Sources for the original include...
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/gr...binet%20Hinges
http://www.amerock.com/products/108/...1&sr=61&rpp=12

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 5, 10:33*pm, mcp6453 wrote:

snip

Here are the hinges. (Taiwanese crap)

snip

the 22 year old hinges might want to be replaced.

Since you've gotten 22 years service out of them wouldn't it be fair
to say, "Taiwanese manufactured" ? FWIW, in my experience, Taiwanese
products have always been a notch or two better than Chinese because
of American influence. A good example of this is Astro automotive
tools, well known to at least a generation or more of professional
mechanics.

Joe