Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-Grout OVER Grout Sealer?????

We have a kitchen floor done new with 12" X 12" tile and we're really
happy with the work with one exception, the grout lines. We're
finding we didn't leave the grout line high enough between the tiles
and the edges of the tiles aren't comfortable to walk on. We had used
a grout sealer/stain product called NuGrout on top of the grout to
seal and also color the grout to the color shown on the ad (it turned
out looking gray and was supposed to be light tan). We were wondering
if we can add some grout over top of the old grout to raise the
level. We don't want to get too aggressive with cleaning or priming
the old grout and possible damage the tile face so we thought someone
might have some suggestions.

All help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

infiniteMPG wrote:
We have a kitchen floor done new with 12" X 12" tile and we're really
happy with the work with one exception, the grout lines. We're
finding we didn't leave the grout line high enough between the tiles
and the edges of the tiles aren't comfortable to walk on. We had used
a grout sealer/stain product called NuGrout on top of the grout to
seal and also color the grout to the color shown on the ad (it turned
out looking gray and was supposed to be light tan). We were wondering
if we can add some grout over top of the old grout to raise the
level. We don't want to get too aggressive with cleaning or priming
the old grout and possible damage the tile face so we thought someone
might have some suggestions.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't try going over it. There is a chance something would
dissolve it. I'd start with whatever the instructions recommend for
clean up and if that doesn't work try another solvent.

Even with a solvent that works, you will still get some of the dissolved
sealer deeper into the grout.

I'd probably go with a grout saw so the new grout can really get in and
make a strong bond.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 07:58:52 -0800 (PST), infiniteMPG
wrote:

We have a kitchen floor done new with 12" X 12" tile and we're really
happy with the work with one exception, the grout lines. We're
finding we didn't leave the grout line high enough between the tiles
and the edges of the tiles aren't comfortable to walk on. We had used
a grout sealer/stain product called NuGrout on top of the grout to
seal and also color the grout to the color shown on the ad (it turned
out looking gray and was supposed to be light tan). We were wondering
if we can add some grout over top of the old grout to raise the
level. We don't want to get too aggressive with cleaning or priming
the old grout and possible damage the tile face so we thought someone
might have some suggestions.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

See http://www.groutshields.com/ I put this product down on top of my
previously sealed grout such as y'al explained above, changed the
color at the same time and it looks great.
so far I have the kitchen, bath and a small hallway done - no problems
after 6 months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seehttp://www.groutshields.com/I put this product down on top of my
previously sealed grout such as y'al explained above, changed the
color at the same time and it looks great.
so far I have the kitchen, bath and a small hallway done - no problems
after 6 months.

Does this fill at all or just color and seal? I need to fill about
1/8" or so.

What grout sealer to use?? Trajen Home Repair 2 June 29th 06 02:35 PM
Grout Sealer Sawdusty Home Repair 4 April 29th 06 10:25 AM
does grout sealer make grout waterproof? bob Home Repair 3 October 20th 05 03:53 AM
Grout Sealer Bishoop Home Ownership 1 April 30th 05 01:17 PM
Grout Sealer Bishoop Home Repair 2 April 30th 05 01:17 PM