Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mounting tile vertically outside

Steve, the failure of most exterior tile and stone work has to do
with water getting into the materials. It is essential to use
tile or stone that is rated for exterior work, won't absorb water
and installing in such a manner as to shed water well (make sure
the tops of your column stubs have slope). Most stone requires a
sealer of some type to keep water out.

For ease of care, I think I would consider a Dryvit type EIFS
finish coat on the stubs. Quite tough, fairly easy to install,
choice of colors, etc.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have three Sonotubed rounds that are about 24" high, 30"
diameter. They are exterior, and get snow and rain and direct
sun. I would like to cover this now bare concrete. Ideally, I'd
like to tile them using small tile, say 2" square, or smaller, or
scraps, or odd rectangulars, and use some Mexican and unique 4x4
and 6x6 tiles we have.

What type of mortar/grout/adhesive should I use so that they do
not pop off with freeze thaw cycles? Or should I just do the
horizontal tops with tile, and then do a colored grout on the
vertical round sides?

I want to dress these up, but don't want to be forever patching
and reattaching. Is this possible, or should I just use colored
mortar or grout on the round vertical sides, and then use a few
tiles on the top to dress them up?

TIA

Steve