Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rouge

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 22:37:55 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

I had to ask myself the same question. I thought it was make up for
the bride.

So many variations, cloth, compound and then colors. Jeez, I'm lost.

Brasso will work (my choice Drill Seargeant!). I like the comment of
checking the back side. That would cut some work down, just by turning
the sheet around/over.

At least take a look-see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 9:37*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

It looks like a big clump of hard clay, you rub it on a rag then use
the rag to rub the metal to a high polish.

When I was a kid my granny would pay me to sit a polish her silverware
this way, one of those "lost arts" I guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buffing compounds come in different grits like sand paper. The courser
grits are made from emery or tripoli and the finish polish is done with
rouge.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate.

What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote in
:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass
plate. What is rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

Haven't heard of rouge since I worked in a plating shop decades ago. Huge
industrial buffing wheels. Broken wrists were not rare when part slipped
and hand it wheel. Rouge was put on the wheels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2010 7:37 PM mcp6453 spake thus:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

Well, since a lot of others didn't really answer your question but
instead gave you speculations on what rouge is used for and the other
usual Usenet nonsense, I thought I'd answer your question. From one
a'them online dictionaries (http://dictionary.babylon.com/rouge):

Rouge is a red amorphous powder consisting of ferric oxide. it is
used in polishing glass, metal, or gems, and as a cosmetic, etc.
called also crocus, jeweler's rouge , etc.

Even though the link you gave shows rouge in stick form, used to charge
buffing wheels, it's also available as loose powder. I still have two
boxes of powder from Dowman, bought years ago at Standard Brands (anyone
remember them?), one of rouge, the other of pumice, a much coarser
abrasive. Rouge is great stuff for polishing all kinds of stuff, from
brass to plastic.

To use it with a buffing wheel, I first wet the wheel, then apply the
rouge powder to it with a spoon or something similar. (If you have a
stick instead, then just run the stick over the wheel while it's spinning.)

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

Rouge is a form of rust and is a very fine polish, but I wouldn't use
it because it stains. Try Brasso or automotive swirl remover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass
plate. What is rouge, and how is it best used?

Rouge is a form of rust and is a very fine polish, but I wouldn't use
it because it stains. Try Brasso or automotive swirl remover.

Rouge is often used on gold because of that staining and the enhanced color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 11:51*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass
plate. What is rouge, and how is it best used?

Rouge is a form of rust and is a very fine polish, but I wouldn't use
it because it stains. * Try Brasso or automotive swirl remover.

Rouge is often used on gold because of that staining and the enhanced color.

But no one has told the OP where to buy it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass
plate. What is rouge, and how is it best used?

Rouge is a form of rust and is a very fine polish, but I wouldn't
use it because it stains. Try Brasso or automotive swirl remover.

Rouge is often used on gold because of that staining and the
enhanced color.

But no one has told the OP where to buy it!

Go herehttp://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffing.htm- Hide quoted text -

Fantastic information at that site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate.
What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

I've been using red rubbing compound for polishing firearm trigger
mechanisms in order to smoothe them out. Is this the same type of rouge as
jewlers rouge in a semi-pasty state? It sure puts a mirror finish on parts
after stoning the high spots off.

Going Rouge RBnDFW Metalworking 1 November 6th 09 11:39 PM
Going Rouge David R.Birch Metalworking 0 November 6th 09 10:10 PM
Baton Rouge Area - Woodworking Club Steve DeMars Woodworking 2 April 28th 06 12:48 PM
Baton Rouge - Woodturning Club? Steve DeMars Woodturning 2 April 27th 06 04:25 PM