Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rouge

On 1/1/2010 7:37 PM mcp6453 spake thus:

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is
rouge, and how is it best used?

http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

Well, since a lot of others didn't really answer your question but
instead gave you speculations on what rouge is used for and the other
usual Usenet nonsense, I thought I'd answer your question. From one
a'them online dictionaries (http://dictionary.babylon.com/rouge):

Rouge is a red amorphous powder consisting of ferric oxide. it is
used in polishing glass, metal, or gems, and as a cosmetic, etc.
called also crocus, jeweler's rouge , etc.

Even though the link you gave shows rouge in stick form, used to charge
buffing wheels, it's also available as loose powder. I still have two
boxes of powder from Dowman, bought years ago at Standard Brands (anyone
remember them?), one of rouge, the other of pumice, a much coarser
abrasive. Rouge is great stuff for polishing all kinds of stuff, from
brass to plastic.

To use it with a buffing wheel, I first wet the wheel, then apply the
rouge powder to it with a spoon or something similar. (If you have a
stick instead, then just run the stick over the wheel while it's spinning.)

- a Usenet "apology"